Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shifter/linkage play

Hey all,
When in neutral the in cabin shift lever can be rocked/ moved forward and back about ½ inch. This play wasn't present when the car was new. I got 15K on it now so it's still pretty low.
After looking at it the play seems to be in the selector arm at the shaft pictured and arrowed.
I can move the whole arm and shaft up and down and wiggle it a little.
Is this normal? Can it be fixed.
Thanks all
IMG_20210911_172651__01.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
I would look for an exploded view of the trans. There may be a wear point under that lever inside the case. I just installed the Boomba shift adapter, which goes on that arm. I did not see anyway to remove it from outside the case.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Way back in my VW days, a lot of us would swap the shift arm for the Audi part. It was a cheap oem+ short shifter. I remember it was a scary mod cuz we had to use a pry bar to get that shift arm off of the splined shaft it was attached to. Tons of liquid wrench the night b4 helped.

Idk if ours is a similar design but if so, remove the shift arm & you may be able to at least see if the shaft itself wobbles or if it's the shift arm that is worn.

oChicken

U.S. Army Veteran
Hey all,
When in neutral the in cabin shift lever can be rocked/ moved forward and back about ½ inch. This play wasn't present when the car was new. I got 15K on it now so it's still pretty low.
After looking at it the play seems to be in the selector arm at the shaft pictured and arrowed.
I can move the whole arm and shaft up and down and wiggle it a little.
Is this normal? Can it be fixed.
Thanks all
View attachment 43395
You ever figure this out? I got my car used in September, '19 w/ 32k mi and it does the same thing. The knock drives me crazy but I can't find any discussions or answers

OP
unspankable
Thread Starter #5
You ever figure this out? I got my car used in September, '19 w/ 32k mi and it does the same thing. The knock drives me crazy but I can't find any discussions or answers
Nah buddy i just learned to live with it. I had my transaxle replaced recently and I honestly haven't even checked if it's still present