Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Shifting into 5th gear and it grinds

I own a 2012 Ford Fiesta manual with just over 50,000 miles on it.I have been having recent troubles shifting from 4th to 5th gear as it grinds.I have to once/twice or even three times have to shift it again before it goes into fifth.Beyond this,I have no trouble with other gear shifts,just this.What seems to be the matter with it?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I own a 2012 Ford Fiesta manual with just over 50,000 miles on it.I have been having recent troubles shifting from 4th to 5th gear as it grinds.I have to once/twice or even three times have to shift it again before it goes into fifth.Beyond this,I have no trouble with other gear shifts,just this.What seems to be the matter with it?
Synchros are gondar

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
2012, so a 5 speed.

Def. sounds like the synchro.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Rebuild time or find used trans....pop it in and pray!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

green_henry

1000 Post Club
What would be the cost for a synchro concerning my 5th gear to be fixed?
Normally when a transmission component goes bad, you need to replace the entire transmission with one that's been rebuilt. It's too expensive to fix one gear when other gears are likely to fail later on.

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
Normally when a transmission component goes bad, you need to replace the entire transmission with one that's been rebuilt. It's too expensive to fix one gear when other gears are likely to fail later on.
What about other possible variables besides a bad synchro...like a stuck pilot bearing on the flywheel which causes dragging of the transmission mainshaft or a bad shifter itself?If that is the case what's the different outcome on repair and cost?

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
What about other possible variables besides a bad synchro...like a stuck pilot bearing on the flywheel which causes dragging of the transmission mainshaft or a bad shifter itself?If that is the case what's the different outcome on repair and cost?
Or just to throw this in,the clutch master cylinder---low fluid or air in the system...if this is the case that sounds like something minor,I hope.

Push in the clutch, shift to neutral, let out the clutch, push the clutch back in, shift to fifth, let out the clutch.

Same tempo as the Adam's family beat

Problem "solved"

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I would think that those conditions would manifest themselves in more than one gear, but I may be wrong. Unfortunately, there are no inexpensive fixes when it comes to the transmission because the cost of removing it -- for any repair -- is high.

I'll agree with the others, sounds like the synchro bit the dust. Kind of an odd gear to lose a synchro on first though. I dont know much about ford trannys yet but in the honda world its always 2nd or 3rd that get eaten up first. Even if its not a synchro it's most likely something internal. It may be worth checking the linkage bushings to see if theres excess play, maybe its just not engaging fully before the clutch gets released? Though it would probably pop out of gear. Just my 2 cents :)

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'll agree with the others, sounds like the synchro bit the dust. Kind of an odd gear to lose a synchro on first though. I dont know much about ford trannys yet but in the honda world its always 2nd or 3rd that get eaten up first. Even if its not a synchro it's most likely something internal. It may be worth checking the linkage bushings to see if theres excess play, maybe its just not engaging fully before the clutch gets released? Though it would probably pop out of gear. Just my 2 cents :)
It would make sense to do the easy stuff first. It could be that the cable is stretched and needs a little tightening.
I hope.

OP
T
Thread Starter #15
One good thing from my problem with shifting into 5th gear is that I can take another route to work in town and drive in just 4th gear w/o having to shift into 5th for awhile if I have to but at some point I'm going to have to get it looked at.I'm trying to save money so whatever the repair bill,i'll have it fixed.

OP
T
Thread Starter #16
Just to give a bit of history,I had work done before but this was on my reverse gear when it wouldn't go in reverse.This was back in 2015 when I was under warranty.Now it is the 5th gear this time and I still go in reverse but I notice a slight grind noise when backing out going to work.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd try to adjust the shifter cable. If that doesn't help, I don't know what to say.
Sucks.

OP
T
Thread Starter #20
Eventually yes I will have to.I just want to have enough to cover what potential costs(worst case scenario) which is why I'm saving up and delaying it for now.The problem won't go away until it gets fixed but I like to think it is an isolated problem with the 5th gear that I have a little time on(restricting travel to 4th gear only on an alternate route to work,drives inside,not outside the city).Goal is to be able to get the car repaired and afford whatever the bill may be for it.