Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

shouldbeasy's 'not a build' build.

KnockOff

1000 Post Club
No offence taken! It was more a comment regarding material deforming and WHY it deforms which is why newer cars are like helmets - crash them once and get a new one. They are designed to 'fold' and absorb energy which renders them inoperable for future use.

And thanks! Sand blasting it today I hope.
If you decide you dont like it want want to build another one I'll take that one off your hands. lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #226
Shouldbeeasy I want your hossfeld man....

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
I got the bender cheap! Well, on sale... I put the pneumatic ram on it because I can't be jerking pipe around with my crappy back - even my little 4x4 compressor could get it to go!

I built some slider kick outs for my van project - this was my second bent item - very happy with it! The tube notcher is another life saver.

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
I got the bender cheap! Well, on sale... I put the pneumatic ram on it because I can't be jerking pipe around with my crappy back - even my little 4x4 compressor could get it to go!

I built some slider kick outs for my van project - this was my second bent item - very happy with it! The tube notcher is another life saver.
Yeah the pics look good. I just don't know why you ground down those welds [emoji14] tryna hide something? Lol

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #228
Yeah the pics look good. I just don't know why you ground down those welds [emoji14] tryna hide something? Lol

A grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't!!!

Thank god for the Millermatic - just pick your metal thickness and go! Fuckin' brilliant machine that 215. I kinda wish I got the 220 but it wasn't released until after my purchase. No aluminum TIG for me...

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Yeah but aluminum Tig is hard. Unless your in a climate controlled room the welds are always going to be shot. The navy requires a penetrant test of the weld to show imperfections on the face and it's really .... Really good at it

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #230
Well, guess I've been driving around without a rear motor mount... Snapped the bolt in transmission body. This is gonna be a fun one. My plan of attack is just go straight to the heavy hitters and weld a nut on the top. It doesn't protrude, I hope I can get good penetration on the remaining threads...

xxiaze

Well, guess I've been driving around without a rear motor mount... Snapped the bolt in transmission body. This is gonna be a fun one. My plan of attack is just go straight to the heavy hitters and weld a nut on the top. It doesn't protrude, I hope I can get good penetration on the remaining threads...
Snapped working on it or sheering while driving? Assuming your bolt base is left inside trans housing? Yikes. Rusty at all? Hopefully soak it for a few days in some PB repeated application, then heat soak and weld a bolt head to threads? Sucks man...

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #232
Snapped working on it or sheering while driving? Assuming your bolt base is left inside trans housing? Yikes. Rusty at all? Hopefully soak it for a few days in some PB repeated application, then heat soak and weld a bolt head to threads? Sucks man...
Snapped while driving!! I'll have pictures up shortly - the stub is stuck in the housing. Lotsa Deep Creep (my penetrant of choice).

Torque settings??? What are those???

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #234
Fuck. Yeah.

And hood vents also installed - this was done a while ago but I just took the pictures. There are grills that sit inside the vents, but I think I want to clean up the inner cover piece first so it doesn't show while looking down from above when the hood is closed. The inside pieces already don't fit so trimming them so they don't have perfectly straight lines should be an issue. You'll only see it when the hood is open.

xxiaze

Yes!!! Way to be! That must feel good. Those vents are incredible too. Where do you get those? Might want to steal them :) How was the install of them? Mark and cut + a little silicone or what?

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #236
Yes!!! Way to be! That must feel good. Those vents are incredible too. Where do you get those? Might want to steal them :) How was the install of them? Mark and cut + a little silicone or what?
The vents was... interesting. Ha! I'm smart but also stupid - I planned on trying to get molds of the vents made so they could be made in North America as opposed to the UK - CMComposites is where I purchased them.

So, I put the large paper away in a super safe spot! One where not even I could find it when the time came to install them! Ugh. Bloody hell. So... I just grabbed the grinder and went to town. I found the body lines where they followed and matched the contour of the rear section of them to the hood and so I had a pretty good idea of where to cut. Admittedly, the first wasn't pretty but the second one was nicer and closer to the exact cut needed. Inevitably, a couple days after the install I found the paper, curled up on a shelf which I never glance at. Poop.

They're fastened with Butyl Tape - I fuckin' love this stuff as it's more adhesive than 3M double sided and really adheres well. I don't plan on painting the hood until I get the giant rock dent in the front and center fixed so I'll deal with the black on blue for now. When the time comes, I'll try my hand at Bondo and smooth in the vents and fix that dent.

The actual worst part of the vents is the underside - the come in 3 pieces, grill, outside and inside. the inside portion does not sit on our (North American) hoods very well so it involved more trimming and a lot of butyl tape to get them to stay on and look half decent. It's the underside so once again, I don't really care.

My other question for the masses - has anyone actually checked the bearing preload at home while doing their LSD? It's not fun... I don't have the tools and trying to balance 45lbs on the bearing is nuts. Maybe I'll take it in to a shop and have them check it for me... I've only gone with the bearing cones and not the cups for now as the ones from factory looked decent.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Fuck. Yeah.

And hood vents also installed - this was done a while ago but I just took the pictures. There are grills that sit inside the vents, but I think I want to clean up the inner cover piece first so it doesn't show while looking down from above when the hood is closed. The inside pieces already don't fit so trimming them so they don't have perfectly straight lines should be an issue. You'll only see it when the hood is open.

I wish that someone made an aftermarket carbon fiber/kevlar, or some composite type whole hood with THAT type of WRC vent in it, instead of the Seibon offered vented hoods.

I don't trust myself to do that sort of cutting up my factory hood (it would definitely be a hack job on my part, since I DO NOT have either your skills, nor equipment [:(]), even though it is more authentic, since the FIA rules say all cars competing in any class of the WRC MUST use steel hoods. LOL

OP
shouldbeasy

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #238
I wish that someone made an aftermarket carbon fiber/kevlar, or some composite type whole hood with THAT type of WRC vent in it, instead of the Seibon offered vented hoods.

I don't trust myself to do that sort of cutting up my factory hood (it would definitely be a hack job on my part, since I DO NOT have either your skills, nor equipment [:(]), even though it is more authentic, since the FIA rules say all cars competing in any class of the WRC MUST use steel hoods. LOL
If Seibon had a hood with vents like this, I'd have it installed. Performance over looks!

xxiaze

I think you’ve got the best of both worlds with this. Aim for beauty with functionality at the top of the list. Who doesn’t love a pretty car?