Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Skold's FiST Build Thread: Best Bang For Buck Mods for $1100??

Hi All,

I have had my '19 FiST for a little over a year now and have been enjoying it in mostly stock form but I've got a little cash to spend and want to do so me mods.

I've only done some cosmetic stuff up to this point but want to put the cash towards performance stuff that won't void the warranty since it is still so new and with only 11k miles on it.

Here's what I have so far:
Cobb RMM
Short shifter (DFJ Short Throw Shifter Lever Transmission Plate Bracket )

Here's what I'm considering:
-Cobb Accessport (would use "safe" tune to start with, Stage 1?)...Would buy used off here for $350-$400
-Air filter for the tune?
-Pierce 6 point brace ($350) OR Whoosh 2 point brace ($90)... Heavily debating this one due to price difference and limited funds.
-Spec-D smoked taillights (ok, not a performance mod but my FiST is white and I'm trying to delete the red). Due to fitment complaints and the fact that it would wipe out 1/3 of my budget, I'm not sure I'd want to go this route.
-Other suggestions not on the list???

Finally, another option would be to forget the performance mods and hold out for a set of Recaros in mint condition for $1100 or less. I've never actually sat in any so this is kind of a wildcard. Based on my size, 5;8" and athletic build, I am not worried about getting squeezed by them. It would wipe out the funds though and I'd better LOVE them.

SO, how would you recommend me spend the $$$ given my criteria and desires?

All input is MUCH appreciated!!!

The first question asked on these threads is usually "how do you use the car"? Is it going to be a daily, a dedicated tracker, just a weekend fun car, grocery getter, or (likely) some combination of? For what you've listed, I think the AP3 (and filter) are probably your best bang-for-buck upgrades. The AP3 opens up the world of aftermarket tunes, and even the canned tunes it comes with will give you an idea of what more power/torque can do with the vehicle - while the filter is cheap and makes sure the vehicle gets enough airflow for higher tunes. Another obvious great mod is tires - the right tires can probably do more than anything else in the performance area... but that's also going to depend on your budget and what you do with the car. Intercooler is another common recommendation - the stock unit is pretty underwhelming and you'll feel the effects when you really try and wind the car out.

So my tldr is probably "it depends, but the AP3/FMIC/Tires/Filter are great places to start".

Woods247

2000 Post Club
I should’ve done the LSD first. That’s my vote. MFactory LSD from Whooshmotorsports.

Zormecteon

You've got it.
RMM
Short Shifter
Cobb Access Port.

Next would be mountune springs, ST 200 airbox, Intake kit.

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
Thank you for the suggestions so far! Keep 'em coming.

To clarify, this is my daily driver and will be indefinitely. I just want to maximize my enjoyment of zipping around town like I've done with my CRX, Civic Si, WRX, and Speed3 in the past.

I definitely want to keep things warranty friendly too, at least until my factory one is up. Then, all bets are off. :D

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I did MP215 kit from mountune and a set of springs first. Kept it that way for years until warranty expired. Don't regret it one bit. Dealership support with the MP215 was solid.

OP
S
Thread Starter #7
I should’ve done the LSD first. That’s my vote. MFactory LSD from Whooshmotorsports.
I've heard this suggested in other threads and appreciate it here. Cost would pretty much eat all my cash unless it is a DIY I could tackle. Would a LSD really provide more performance gain than a COBB, Air filter, and 6-point brace? I would say it is plausible but am just not sold yet.

Last edited:

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I've heard this suggested in other treads and appreciate it here. Cost would pretty much eat all my cash unless it is a DIY I could tackle. Would a LSD really provide more performance gain than a COBB, Air filter, and 6-point brace? I would say it is plausible but am just not sold yet.
100% opinion but I never found myself feeling like I need an LSD when the car was my DD. I drive like an old lady though unless on the track.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
I went with the whoosh 2 pt traction bar. Considered the 6 pt based on reviews that it tightened things up more but felt the 2 pt would be sufficient with a stage 2 tune and my weekend joy ride style of driving. Intercooler upgrade is probably a good improvement for even a stock vehicle.
Accessport and tune is impressive as far as noticing the difference. For your intake you could start with say an aFe Dry panel in your stock box but I can say I didnt notice anything from that.
I grabbed a set of smoke red Spec D tails. I havent installed yet as car is in storage until March. They really look nice and I think they really pop on the white fist. Hit your dome lights with LED's. I put red in mine and its pretty sick. Even the white are a vast improvement though. Blue would look nice in with your white paint imo. Oh and Ravenol MTF-2 fluid for your gear box. I cant define it but its butter and very healthy for your car.

Air filter is a waster of money, as well as 90% of intake mods unless you are putting a bigger turbo on. Unless you are willing to consider used turbos it looks like that would be out of your price range. With your remaining ~$900 I’d say get an AP3, an intercooler, and a pro tune for e30 (or 91/93 I’d you don’t have easy access to corn juice) . This will put you around the max power output the stock turbo will deliver.

I’ve seen other people recommend bracing, and I’d like to politely point out that the car is already super rigid from the factory. You can pick both tires off the ground with the included scissor jack on either the front or rear lifting point.

Other considerations: tires are always the limiting factor for every car, although unless you are tracking it you probably won’t fully appreciate the difference they make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Air filter is a waster of money, as well as 90% of intake mods unless you are putting a bigger turbo on. Unless you are willing to consider used turbos it looks like that would be out of your price range. With your remaining ~$900 I’d say get an AP3, an intercooler, and a pro tune for e30 (or 91/93 I’d you don’t have easy access to corn juice) . This will put you around the max power output the stock turbo will deliver.

I’ve seen other people recommend bracing, and I’d like to politely point out that the car is already super rigid from the factory. You can pick both tires off the ground with the included scissor jack on either the front or rear lifting point.

Other considerations: tires are always the limiting factor for every car, although unless you are tracking it you probably won’t fully appreciate the difference they make.

If you have a dealership that's mod friendly, this is the way to go 100%. I had to argue with a few and pull the ford racing warranty documentation on the MP215 because they freaked out when they saw it was tuned. YMMV

OP
S
Thread Starter #12
Good advice! I wasn't clear on the ~$900 part though as I have $1100 to spend. Unless I missed where you recommended the first $200 go.

Good advice! I wasn't clear on the ~$900 part though as I have $1100 to spend. Unless I missed where you recommended the first $200 go.
I assumed the first two mods you’d proposed would eat up a little over $200, if you’ve got $1100 not including those mods take her for a full detail or get her ceramic coated. That or have a muffler shop cut your resonator out, it isn’t super loud since you still have the factory muffler, but it’s a lot more growly.

OP
S
Thread Starter #14
If you have a dealership that's mod friendly, this is the way to go 100%. I had to argue with a few and pull the ford racing warranty documentation on the MP215 because they freaked out when they saw it was tuned. YMMV
I'll have to do some research with the local ST group to see which dealers are "mod friendly". I'm in the Houston Metro area so there are TONs of dealers. Surely there are a few decent mod friendly ones. I'd probably lean towards a COBB AP because it seems like there are more options there and it is more common (resale, support).

OP
S
Thread Starter #15
I assumed the first two mods you’d proposed would eat up a little over $200, if you’ve got $1100 not including those mods take her for a full detail or get her ceramic coated. That or have a muffler shop cut your resonator out, it isn’t super loud since you still have the factory muffler, but it’s a lot more growly.

OH, sorry...I have those two things already so they don't count towards the $1100. :)

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Can probably check local FB groups or regional sections on here and focus forums to find a dealership in the area that aren't pricks about mods. AP and tune are going to be by far the most noticeable thing you can do to the car. Smooths out power delivery down low and gives you plenty more of it at the same time.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Only problem for the OP is his car is a 19. 19’s in no way shape or form will have warranty Ford Racing or not with the MP215 that stopped at 2016. After that MP215 is not a warranty friendly mod. Even Mountune states that.
Now moving right along for $1100 I would say AP3 with a tune and a FMIC are the first two followed shortly by a aftermarket aluminum radiator as he is in Texas and it gets hot there. He could get a Whoosh radiator for $375 a Whoosh V1 intercooler for $299 and a AP with tune for around $450. That would spend his $1100 nicely and give him a quicker and completely reliable car.

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Only problem for the OP is his car is a 19. 19’s in no way shape or form will have warranty Ford Racing or not with the MP215 that stopped at 2016. After that MP215 is not a warranty friendly mod. Even Mountune states that.
Now moving right along for $1100 I would say AP3 with a tune and a FMIC are the first two followed shortly by a aftermarket aluminum radiator as he is in Texas and it gets hot there. He could get a Whoosh radiator for $375 a Whoosh V1 intercooler for $299 and a AP with tune for around $450. That would spend his $1100 nicely and give him a quicker and completely reliable car.
Ah, didn't realize it wasn't warranty friendly anymore. F that then!

This is spot on. I have a "19 as well. Get your FMIC installed then go for Dizzy stage 2 on your AP. Skip Stage 1 and save $75. "This is the way"
4b2.jpg