Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Skold's FiST Build Thread: Best Bang For Buck Mods for $1100??

Only problem for the OP is his car is a 19. 19’s in no way shape or form will have warranty Ford Racing or not with the MP215 that stopped at 2016. After that MP215 is not a warranty friendly mod. Even Mountune states that.
Now moving right along for $1100 I would say AP3 with a tune and a FMIC are the first two followed shortly by a aftermarket aluminum radiator as he is in Texas and it gets hot there. He could get a Whoosh radiator for $375 a Whoosh V1 intercooler for $299 and a AP with tune for around $450. That would spend his $1100 nicely and give him a quicker and completely reliable car.
Hadn’t even considered location, radiator is a really good idea for people in hot climates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S
Thread Starter #23
Hadn’t even considered location, radiator is a really good idea for people in hot climates.

Good idea vs. critical though as I am tight on funds? Also, I wonder if the '19 has a little better radiator than earlier model years.

Last edited:
Good idea vs. critical though as I am tight on funds? Also, I wonder if the '19 has a little better radiator than earlier model years.
Well it depends what you are more interested in. Peak power development or consistent power development.
The radiator, kind of like an intercooler, isn’t necessarily going to alter your peak power developed. What it will do is make the engine more consistent and protect against the additional heat the engine will generate once tuned.

Critical or not depends entirely on the cooling system for your specific car, I have a 2015 and I’ve talked with plenty of other owners who seem surprised when I tell them I’ve never overheated and I’m still on the stock radiator. AFAIK, Ford didn’t update anything on this car outside of, maybe some software reflashing after they did the suspension adjustments in 2016 (I think it was the 2016 MY, not positive) so I wouldn’t count on your cooling system being magically better. It is worth noting that if you haven’t had a problem with it yet, you may not, then again the 20-30 extra horsepower you’ll extract from the engine with a tune may push you past the critical cooling point which is arguably a bigger consideration for you in a hot and humid place like Texas.

ronmcdon

haven't done a whole lot to my car so far, but best bang for the buck I'd say would be the powerflex lca bushings which work out to be around $260 both and the maybe $60 aluminum 'alex the machinist' steering rack bushings. The steering on the car is dramatically improved. had a crx si myself in the past and now the fiesta is a lot more comparable in steering feel.

note on the pierce 6 point is also consider the summit 4 pt that just became available on Whoosh. this should be ideal in terms of clearance. would have jumped on that if I didn't already get the TB 4pt brace. the pierce 6 pt scares me with lack of clearance.

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I spent my first 1100 on my 2019 on an AP, Mountune springs, K&N panel, 1 step colder plugs, RMM, and a nice shirt knob.

haven't done a whole lot to my car so far, but best bang for the buck I'd say would be the powerflex lca bushings which work out to be around $260 both and the maybe $60 aluminum 'alex the machinist' steering rack bushings. The steering on the car is dramatically improved. had a crx si myself in the past and now the fiesta is a lot more comparable in steering feel.

note on the pierce 6 point is also consider the summit 4 pt that just became available on Whoosh. this should be ideal in terms of clearance. would have jumped on that if I didn't already get the TB 4pt brace. the pierce 6 pt scares me with lack of clearance.
Haven’t heard of either of these but would be interested if you could provide a source of how to obtain them?

ronmcdon

here are the bushings. note with power flex got the black bushing as opposed to purple. steering got the aluminum as opposed to delrin. don't have any issues with nvh but then again Im not a great judge of that either haha

https://www.alexthemachinist.com/products/solid-steering-rack-bushings?variant=40045798343
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...bushing-caster-adjustable-2014-2019-fiesta-st
https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopif...control-arm-front-bushing-2014-2019-fiesta-st

ronmcdon

oh forgot to mention,
really like shifter bushings and camber bolts (have -1.9 front). both are well under a $100.
https://www.fswerks.com/collections...shing-kit-ford-focus-fiesta-st-2013-2014-2015

always wondered if the slightly fancier H&R camber bolts were worth the premium. I have the whitelines which are maybe 30

least bang for the buck mod so far I'd say is the ST200 airbox intake, itg drop in filter w/ crossover pipe and wiring harness. Not saying its not a good part and discourage anyone from getting it. for the money and an otherwise stock setup, I would say it's the mods where I noticed the least difference.

Crv

Wasn’t there a top gear where they did bolt ons vs. suspension?..

Spent the same $$$ on suspension vs. intake, bolt on’s etc.

I’d bet ...on this site..a used set of bilsteins w/swift springs, And a used access port. About $1100...

You gotta pick up some shifts for a tune after that but still...better than I did w my first 1100.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Only problem for the OP is his car is a 19. 19’s in no way shape or form will have warranty Ford Racing or not with the MP215 that stopped at 2016. After that MP215 is not a warranty friendly mod. Even Mountune states that.
You are right, Mountune only got the warranty certification for the MP215 through the '16 model year. I got it because it had the warranty for my '16, I felt like the fact that it preserved the factory warranty would mean that it also was preserving the reliability of the car, and I just wanted a set it and forget it tune that I didn't have to mess with.
It occurs to me that even for model years '17 on, if you did have that tune and had a failure that might be related to it, you might still be in a stronger position with Ford to have them cover it than with another tune. I would argue that this tune was previously approved for warranty, that I had the exact same tune on my post-'16 car, and that the car itself is the same. My understanding is that even with a non warranty approved tune, the burden of proof is still on the dealer to show the tune caused the failure, and I think in this case you would have a better argument than with a tune that never had warranty approval. The MP215 tune is also cheaper than it used to be, $729 last time I looked from Mountune, and includes the excellent air box which is the same as the ST200 one except that it's metal.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I found this concerning the burden of proof for warranty failures allegedly caused by aftermarket parts-
According to the Magnuson-Moss Act, a vehicle manufacturer cannot automatically cancel your warranty just because you’ve installed aftermarket car parts. This is an illegal practice. That said, if your aftermarket part somehow causes or contributes to a failure in your vehicle, the dealer may be able to deny your warranty claim—as long as they can prove the connection. In these cases, the burden of proof is entirely on the dealership.
https://apb-law.com/understanding-m...llegal practice,is entirely on the dealership.

Disclaimer-I'm a retired lawyer, but I didn't deal with these kinds of cases in my practice.

haste

1000 Post Club
Mountune radiator and accessport from Mountune with 93/aftermarket IC/stock downpipe tune pre-loaded. You will not regret it. ONLY replace the stock IC with an aftermarket IC only if you autocross and/or track. No way you can heat soak the factory unless you are running from the cops or completely ignoring the speed limit on the highway. If you are just having a little fun here and there the stock IC is fine.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Mountune radiator and accessport from Mountune with 93/aftermarket IC/stock downpipe tune pre-loaded. You will not regret it. ONLY replace the stock IC with an aftermarket IC only if you autocross and/or track. No way you can heat soak the factory unless you are running from the cops or completely ignoring the speed limit on the highway. If you are just having a little fun here and there the stock IC is fine.
Going from the stock IC to aftermarket is not that expensive and if you drive hard a lot it is worth it. It is easy to heatsoak the stock intercooler and especially in warmer climes. IMO

Last edited:
This is what I am following:

https://dizzytuning.com/blogs/technical-documents/the-ultimate-guide-to-modding-your-fiesta-st

And you if you are not following @jeff on YouTube you should. He has an awesome set of dedicated videos on Fiesta ST mods and lots of good lessons learned wrt to budget and performance.
Having gone through this path/stages up to hybrid turbo, I definitely recommend following this. Up to stage 2 is well within your budget. Skip the upgraded boost hoses and just double up on clamps. Symposer delete bov is a more solid option that gfb+symposer delete cap, if budget allows, as the gfb requires maintenance. I would add in a 2 point tracbar to help out with torque steer as well.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

jeff

2000 Post Club
Heard my name called, here's a vid I made on this topic a while back. This is for more balance, sort of like upping your character's strength and armor and speed all +1 instead of throwing +3 at only one thing. Video game analogy, you get it. I'd throw in a bit more than my vid discusses and get the FMIC as well, very nice difference as it allows tuning of more power.

Just my ideas and taste, I go for the balanced approach.

View: https://youtu.be/xpNZE60EOgs

(1) Fiesta ST: Best way to spend $1000 on mods - YouTube

Heard my name called, here's a vid I made on this topic a while back. This is for more balance, sort of like upping your character's strength and armor and speed all +1 instead of throwing +3 at only one thing. Video game analogy, you get it. I'd throw in a bit more than my vid discusses and get the FMIC as well, very nice difference as it allows tuning of more power.

Just my ideas and taste, I go for the balanced approach.

View: https://youtu.be/xpNZE60EOgs

(1) Fiesta ST: Best way to spend $1000 on mods - YouTube
I looked everywhere for my "Jeff" signal but all I could find was the dang Honda Insight signal :D