Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Slow Leak Replace Tire

3 months ago I had a small nail in my tire that was patched. The past month the slow leak in that tire has continued, I have had to refill that tire 3 times.

When I take it into the tire shop what most likely will they say the problem is? Will I most likely have to replace that tire and if so, how will I know what is the best option of tire to choose?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Did they use a tire plug? or a tire patch plug? Where was it in the tread? How big was the object that was removed or size of hole that was found? Pics?

OP
T
Thread Starter #3
Did they use a tire plug? or a tire patch plug? Where was it in the tread? How big was the object that was removed or size of hole that was found? Pics?
I believe they used a tire patch, I'm not 100% sure. It was a small nail about 1", it was in the left side of the picture below.

OP
T
Thread Starter #4

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That tire should've NEVER BEEN PATCHED! its in the part of the tire that flexes the most. That tire needs to be replaced.

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
That tire should've NEVER BEEN PATCHED! its in the part of the tire that flexes the most. That tire needs to be replaced.
Can I take it to any old tire shop, regardless of how small the operation is? Should I ask for a specific tire for a 2016 ST? Or will they give me a comparable tire?

Yeah, it's surprising you even found someone willing to patch that thing so close to the sidewall (I usually can't). Do some research online on what tires you want (depends on your climate imo) and go in with some knowledge of what you want/need.

OP
T
Thread Starter #10
Yeah, it's surprising you even found someone willing to patch that thing so close to the sidewall (I usually can't). Do some research online on what tires you want (depends on your climate imo) and go in with some knowledge of what you want/need.
I heard good things about the Indy 500 tires. If I do a lot of city driving (many potholes) would it be not smart to upgrade tires? Or should I stick with replacing them with similar stock tires if I'm going to be hitting potholes?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Get a new one...if you don't do burnouts the tiers will should be within 2-3 32nds of each other.

I agree with Typhoon, that tire never should have been patched in the sidewall. Back when I worked as a Mechanic for Sohio we were told that patching a sidewall was unsafe and could lead to a blowout.

BTW, tire shops today try to insist than all the tire have to be replaced when only one is needed. This is a recent development and IMO absolute BS UNLESS you have a limited slip differential. Yeah, a huge difference in rotation may make anti lock braking a bit flaky but most autos today feature under sized spare tires that in some cases are up to 1 inch different in rolling diameter. So the auto companies don't feel there is a concern about damage with a very different rolling diameter how would a fraction of an inch less than 1/16 be a problem. As for claims that it's the Law, ask to see that on a document issued with the state letterhead.

BTW, if you live in pothole central like I do then put the 17 inch rims in storage and go to 16 inch wheels. A 205-50R16 fits perfect and that extra sidewall height makes for a much smoother ride and a lot more protection from potholes. I will also note that I found ZERO difference in cornering ability.

Last edited:
OP
T
Thread Starter #13
Get a new one...if you don't do burnouts the tiers will should be within 2-3 32nds of each other.
When I get a new one should I get similar if I hit a lot of potholes doing city driving? Not smart to upgrade tires with city driving?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have rolled the stock size since day 1....ive owned Potenza's and Michelins and Pirelli winter tires and now Firestone Indy 500 firehawks for the summer. I live in Mn...they don't "fix" potholes here the right way. Instead they "patch' which temporarily solve the problem. I have hit some large potholes with the Fist...… I love the way the stock tires handle and the Turn in and responsiveness....if you change that size it will change the handling characteristics of the car some or a lot based on the tire Manufacture.

OP
T
Thread Starter #15
I have rolled the stock size since day 1....ive owned Potenza's and Michelins and Pirelli winter tires and now Firestone Indy 500 firehawks for the summer. I live in Mn...they don't "fix" potholes here the right way. Instead they "patch' which temporarily solve the problem. I have hit some large potholes with the Fist...… I love the way the stock tires handle and the Turn in and responsiveness....if you change that size it will change the handling characteristics of the car some or a lot based on the tire Manufacture.
Thank you. I found a good price on Vercelli Strada tires, heard of them? I was quote $430 for 4 tires with labor. For the Bridgestones I was quoted 750 with labor. I'm guessing those are standard prices?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thank you. I found a good price on Vercelli Strada tires, heard of them? I was quote $430 for 4 tires with labor. For the Bridgestones I was quoted 750 with labor. I'm guessing those are standard prices?
Are you replacing all 4?!?!

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Mikey456

You could replace a pair, unless you budgeted for all 4. The Indy 500 are 100$ each last time I looked at Tire Rack. My wife got a tire bubble in one of her tires. It’s a bummer because she needs run-flats on her car (no spare) I plan on replacing a matching pair for her.