Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Slow transmission leak sending me to the dealership

As shown in the pictures, my 2017 (with about 7k miles) has developed a slow leak from the transmission. I can't tell if its coming from the axel seals or the transmission case itself. I had a shop install an LSD about 10 months ago. I also swapped the fluid to Ravenol MTF-3. I hadn't noticed anything leaking until just recently (after my last track day at Blackhawk Farms).

Any thoughts on the cause/source of the leak?

Should I completely uninstall the AP before I go to the dealership, or just flash to the "stock" tune? I assume they'll see the Cobb RMM and Pierce 2pt brace, so they'll know there are some modifications--should I mention the LSD or put the OEM fluid back in before I take it to the dealership?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_3291.jpg IMG_3292.jpg IMG_3289.jpg IMG_3284.jpg

Attachments

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That looks like the case is leaking. Good luck at trying to get the dealer to cover it. Id be going back to the installer of the LSD.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

haste

1000 Post Club
Yeah, looks like the case is leaking to me. Go buy a can of brake clean and clean the affected areas. Drive it a short distance to verify where the leak is coming from.

It also looks like the axle seal is weeping but not leaking yet.

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
Thank you both.
I’ll clean it up and see what I can figure out.
I do think the installer of the LSD should fix it—but given that it’s been 9 or 10 months, I bet they’ll claim it’s beyond their warranty period. I guess we’ll see.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Most Aftermarket garages do 1 year 12k miles for repair warranty. If they try to weasel their way out of it I'd tell them that ill go to ferd and have them fix it and send them the bill. If their a reputable garage at all they will fix it free of charge.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
To close the loop on this...after cleaning and inspection, the leak was actually coming from the drain plug. Apparently the crush washer on the drain plug wasn't sealing completely. Replaced the crush washer and all seems fine. (I hadn't lost much fluid.) I'll continue to monitor it, but it didn't leak at all in the last 24 hours.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Glad I didn't take it to the dealership--I have a feeling they would have somehow found something major needed to be fixed.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
People like OP are funny, modified car, pulls trans out and apart to put a LSD. Ask if he should take off his tuner before he falsely tries to get Ford to pay for a repair that was obviously not a factory Ford issue. Why are you guys constantly trying to get over on dealers. Own your shit

Just as a heads up, uninstalling an AP will not mask that our cars had a tune. Ford dealers can read how many start cycles since the current tune was installed. Ford has specifically notified dealers to look at this parameter if there are any warranty claims that might be related to a tuned motor. Also, I cannot imagine that the installation of a LSD would not void your gearbox warranty.

This link has been posted here in the past, but is interesting to read:
https://static.oemdtc.com/GSB/G0000128.pdf

Last edited:

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Just as a heads up, uninstalling an AP will not mask that our cars had a tune. Ford dealers can read how many start cycles since the current tune was installed. Ford has specifically notified dealers to look at this parameter if there are any warranty claims that might be related to a tuned motor. Also, I cannot imagine that the installation of a LSD would not void your gearbox warranty.

This link has been posted here in the past, but is interesting to read:
https://static.oemdtc.com/GSB/G0000128.pdf
Good read ..laughed at a couple of things in the TSB* In the end it all depends on the dealer with how strict they are I have found out.