Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Smoke coming out of oil filler cap

https://youtube.com/shorts/JbBREG9z9KQ

Hey guys, I took my ST for a slightly longer drive then normal, and the car was driving phenomenal, engine ram great and I never pushed the car hard at all. Though it was a hotter day than normal and I was in a lot of stop and go traffic, temp gauge was also bang in the middle.However when I got home I went to check my oil level and noticed light smoke coming out of the dipstick hole. I thought this was very strange and then took the oil filler cap off and noticed smoke coming from there too. Not sure if this is just excess from the PCV and normal but I’m terrified it’s something catastrophic, even though I only have 67,000 kilometres on the car. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Unless it’s pouring smoke out of the engine and all of your fluids are recent I wouldn’t worry too much. Smoke could come from a number of factors, and unless it’s a significant amount I wouldn’t spend time worrying about it.

Especially if it isn’t black/blue colored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #4
Unless it’s pouring smoke out of the engine and all of your fluids are recent I wouldn’t worry too much. Smoke could come from a number of factors, and unless it’s a significant amount I wouldn’t spend time worrying about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response, I’m super picky about my cars and any slight noise or anything unordinary I tend to stress over.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Were you doing a lot of 'short tripping' type driving before this long run?

If so, that could just me all of the built up moisture and excess fuel dilution in your oil burning off/'volitilizing' into vapor.

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #6
Were you doing a lot of 'short tripping' type driving before this long run?

If so, that could just me all of the built up moisture and excess fuel dilution in your oil burning off/'volitilizing' into vapor.
I live around 10 minutes away from work, and the car had sat the day before this drive so it’s a strong possibility

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Interesting, I had a Honda Accord before this and never noticed it but I never really checked lol
Could be my location very humid and big temperature changes.
Just changed the oil last weekend on my dad's Hyundai sonata lots of steam.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I live around 10 minutes away from work, and the car had sat the day before this drive so it’s a strong possibility
M-Sport fan makes a good point, it's not really good for the car for a variety of reasons to take lots of short trips where it doesn't fully warm up. I would recommend that at least once a week you give it a good run for 30 minutes or so on the highway or out in the country where you can maintain some speed and not stop too much. I enjoy it and find it very therapeutic, and it's definitely good for the car.

OP
GreenEnvyFiST908
Thread Starter #14
M-Sport fan makes a good point, it's not really good for the car for a variety of reasons to take lots of short trips where it doesn't fully warm up. I would recommend that at least once a week you give it a good run for 30 minutes or so on the highway or out in the country where you can maintain some speed and not stop too much. I enjoy it and find it very therapeutic, and it's definitely good for the car.
Thanks for the advice, yeah I should definitely get this thing out for more fun drives

Also penzoil platinum synthetic has a very high boiling point where other premium oils are burned and don't flow as good as the penzoil. Look at the testing. It holds up best. In case your worried. If your car did a couple short trips, condensation could do that. Plus keeping clean oil in when the turbo trashes is so fast, would not hurt.