Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Smoother and more accurate shifts, Motul 300 Gear Lube is a low cost easy mod and worth it:)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
300V is the model name for their high ester content base stock, and high additive content RACING motor oils.

Gear 300 is the name of the 75W-90 NON limited slip, GL-4 rated, VERY high viscosity index, gear oil which everyone on here is talking about.
It IS a FULL synthetic, and it DOES also have a very high ester/group 5 content in it's base stock (part of what gives it that sky-high VI), and also what lets it have a polar affinity for metal, and be all but shear-proof. [:)]

I just recently found out that the Motul DCTF is a synthetic BLEND, and not a full synthetic (as is the factory Motorcraft DCTF of course), but hopefully the synthetic base stock component of the blend does contain some esters/group 5 as well, since this is what Motul is known for, and bases their rep on (and WHY some may find it 'quieter' than, and less shear prone than, the same viscosity factory fluid). [wink]

I am lucky to have a somewhat local 'tuner' shop (MUCH closer to some others on this site in my general area, much more luckily for them!) which stocks, on the shelf, the Gear 300, AND the Motul Specific 948B 5W-20 motor oil, and sells it at less cost than it is sold on amazon/online sites, with no shipping costs, but I do have to pay sales tax, of course.
They even have the Motul 300V racing oils in various weights for great prices!

Also, SCRATCH using/considering the Red Line DCT fluid since it does NOT satisfy the Ford spec requirements, nor is it certified by Ford, as IS the Motul DCTF, (and this is from their head tech/tribologist).

neeqness

1000 Post Club
ok so the 300v is not gear oil at all haha...
While the 300V MIGHT work on our cars, it is really intended and used for motorcycles (I have actually been seriously considering using it on mine).

neeqness

1000 Post Club
^^^^IF we get a cold winter, you may notice a little more 'notchiness', or effort to get into the gears until the Gear 300 warms up, but, being that it has a 220 viscosity index, this may not even happen unless it drops well below 0*F. [wink]

Let us know how it is in the dead of winter, PLEASE!
Below freezing...no comment. But I used it a couple times at 33 - 35 temps and no problems at all. Just as nice as usual, especially once warmed up even with the colder ambient temps.

I received more 300 fluid last month, to keep it "fresh", but honestly this fluid is going strong still and seems to feel oh so slightly smoother as time goes by...like it is maturing over time. Weird in a way, but enjoyable nonetheless.

This is the only reason I haven't changed it yet...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
While the 300V MIGHT work on our cars, it is really intended and used for motorcycles (I have actually been seriously considering using it on mine).
Actually, they make separate automotive AND two wheeler lines/versions of 300V.

The auto stuff is in 2 liter cans, and with additives specific to/beneficial to cars (without having to worry about wet clutch operation), and their bike lineup "Factory Line" which is in 1 liter plastic bottles, with an add pack which will NOT hurt/interfere with the operation of wet clutches (as the automotive one will). [wink]

The one and only local speed shop for many miles has it for $18/bottle! Score!

For anyone interested, HRPWorld.com has it at that price with $10 ground shipping...

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Motul 300 was the only thing on the shelf in my buddy's shop so I put it in my FiST last week in preparation for a track day I had over the weekend. Temps outside were freezing and shifting was slow. I though I'd made a mistake until it heated up and I put several miles and a few hot laps on it. It's nice and smooth when it's warm but you can definitely feel a difference when it's cold. I plan to stick with it since warm temps are around the corner, otherwise I'd go back to stock for daily driving.

[/URL][/IMG]

did this yesterday took about an hour removing intake is the way to go great upgrade, i think there no way we can say its '' harder'' to shift loll its more quality feel now with this thicker stuff nothig as we can qualify as hard to shift

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Just did this. Shifting is a little smoother.
Best of all no more can of marbles noise in neutral.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am going to do this very soon, as quickly as I can find a Neodymium magnet drain plug for the transaxle which fits PERFECTLY.

Personally, for me, it is A LOT less bother to jack up the car, and use a quart bottle pump/hose (like the CRC one) to fill the gearbox than to take out the whole intake (you have to get under the car to drain the thing ANYWAY!) ;)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Spec sheets bro!

Motul

Royal Purple

Redline

Mobil 1

Check out the specs, especially the VI numbers (important for us who need to drive in colder climates). Spec sheet-to-spec sheet, Gear 300 is solid. I believe its also very close to the wonky dual clutch stock fluid for VI and really affordable (compared to the stock fluid). There's a good thread on BITOG on manual transmission fluid. Gear 300 is a favourite among the oil geeks!
^^^^ +1, and x1000! [thumb]

I can't find the spec sheet for the factory DCT stuff, but, I highly DOUBT it's VI comes anywhere close to the (NON-limited slip version only) Gear 300's superior 222 level.

The bolded above is my main reason for choosing this fluid over others, combined with it's all but 'shear proof' group 4/5 base stock, and premium additive pack. [wink]