Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

So... apprently my engine keeps adding timing regardless of knock detected

idk, like it says above, im looking at a datalog that shows knock counts in cyl3. Starts knocking at 4659 rpm in 3rd gear 100% throttle position and continues to add timing untill 5178 rpm then it pulls timing but the engine keeps on knocking and it keeps trying to scale the ignition timing up instead of down.

Are cobb ots stage 1 maps supposed to be like this? I'd post a data log but I havent a clue how to do it. Keep in mind my OAR is pinned at -1.00 and hasn't budged since installing the ap so im assuming its not poor quality fuel.

Cyl1 never registers any knocks.
Cyl2 registers 5375rpm in 3rd gear all the way till 5641 RPM ( I stopped the pull at this point )
cyl3 registers knock count starting at 4659 RPM 3rd gear and hangs around till i end the pull at 5641 RPM 3rd gear.
Cyl4 registers knock at 5178 RPM and it carries through untill i end the pull at 5375RPM

I'm just assuming this isn't normal, but I could be wrong, any thoughts?

Mods include:
MBRP 3" catback
2j racing catless full race DP
injen CAI
Mods on the way : whoosh v3 intercooler in transit
Stratified flash tune sitting in my emails :(

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
idk, like it says above, im looking at a datalog that shows knock counts in cyl3. Starts knocking at 4659 rpm in 3rd gear 100% throttle position and continues to add timing untill 5178 rpm then it pulls timing but the engine keeps on knocking and it keeps trying to scale the ignition timing up instead of down.

Are cobb ots stage 1 maps supposed to be like this? I'd post a data log but I havent a clue how to do it. Keep in mind my OAR is pinned at -1.00 and hasn't budged since installing the ap so im assuming its not poor quality fuel.

Cyl2 registers 5375rpm in 3rd gear all the way till 5641 RPM ( I stopped the pull at this point )
cyl3 registers knock count starting at 4659 RPM 3rd gear and hangs around till i end the pull at 5641 RPM 3rd gear.
Cyl4 registers knock at 5178 RPM and it carries through untill i end the pull at 5375RPM

Mods include:
MBRP 3" catback
injen CAI
Why are you running a Cobb ots tune with stratified tunes in your email.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Mods include:
MBRP 3" catback
injen CAI
Been running Cobb's OTS stage 2 on my '16 for a while now, I've yet to see any knock at all (but I've got quality 93 octane here). I would very occasionally see a couple of knocks on my '15 in California, running that 91 octane junk, also on stage 2. My mods are very light... just a CBE and an intercooler on my '16 right now, and I had an intake as well on my '15.

How much knock are we talking? One or two on a hard pull when it's hot (especially without an upgraded intercooler) isn't abnormal.

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
Been running Cobb's OTS stage 2 on my '16 for a while now, I've yet to see any knock at all (but I've got quality 93 octane here). I would very occasionally see a couple of knocks on my '15 in California, running that 91 octane junk, also on stage 2. My mods are very light... just a CBE and an intercooler on my '16 right now, and I had an intake as well on my '15.

How much knock are we talking? One or two on a hard pull when it's hot (especially without an upgraded intercooler) isn't abnormal.

See my charge air temps only rise 15° above ambient on a multi gear pull back to back ( it starts to not go down as efficiently after that ) since I live in canada at the base of the rockies I usually get pretty cool air. I'm running the stage 1 map, i wonder if switching to a stage 2 would stop the knock like on yours. Unfortunately, their is ALOT of knock. Like 1 knock registered through the rpm band in 3rd gear one pull at -2.50° correction and immediately after that ( pulled a u turn ) it only started knocking 9nce I hit 5k rpm and held the knock till I lift off at just under 6k rpm

OP
T
Thread Starter #7

Because I ordered the intercooler and AP with flash tune at the same time from separate companies. Whoosh for the intercooler and unfortunately ron was backlogged with orders so i had to wait ( no big deal ill be getting it next week ) so I filled out my tuning form from stratified to account for the intercooler. Ive been told running the map without the intercooler is a recipe for disaster so my emails is where it sits for now.

Next week I will be having the intercooler installed ( when it gets here, its in Washington right now ) and ill be uploading the stratified map and throwing her on a dyno for the data log refinement

OP
T
Thread Starter #8

It was an early birthday gift to myself that turned into a late birthday gift by almost a month but hey, what can you do with everything goin on right now? Believe me ive been tempted to load up stratifieds tune but ive had mixed reviews. People say youre engine will add timing way more aggressively which could lead to pre mature heat soak ( without the aftermarket FMIC ) where as cobb basically says you'll blow youre engine, pretty wide spectrum hahaha

OP
T
Thread Starter #9
Are you running Husky fuel? Your fuel options should be 1.) Husky 94 and 2.) Shell 91 then 3.) Petro 94
I've always been told husky is a no go if you want youre car to live. Or like only go to husky if you ABSOLUTELY have to type deal, never knew why tho

OP
T
Thread Starter #10

An example of my charge temps, ambient was 15°c last night my fmic hit MAX 32°c after 2 back to back multi gear pulls from 3rd to 4th. It took a fraction longer too cool back down to 3°above ambient and held till i did another pull. On highway I see charge temps close to ambient, maybe 2° higher at cruising ( remember I have ice cold air coming off the rocky mountains that may be why I dont heatsoak, no clue ) its honestly so random. Does anyone know how I can post a log and you guys would understand better ( im the worst at articulating my sentences )

Its highly possible cobb just programs the tune to drop almost 3° of timing at the first sign of knock but the fact my engine didn't pull timing despite clear knock counts had me pondering, is that normal or was it false knock and the engine knew that and ignored it. Im pretty sure I got a rattly heat shield cause at 1500 RPM you can hear a metallic rattle and ill admit, the shop who put my manifold heat shield back on said I royaly messed it up taking it out

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Hmmm dually noted, I take it they have more ethanol or????
E15 I think, and their fuel is more stable - I've run Petro and seen massive corrections (even with their 94 and a 91 octane tune) so I'm not a fan of their product.

Shell is also 'stable' in that their product seems consistent.

Not sure how much it's effecting your issues but at least I can offer some insight as to what local fuel to use.

I'm pretty busy with my van right now but just hit me up if you have any major issues.

OP
T
Thread Starter #14
E15 I think, and their fuel is more stable - I've run Petro and seen massive corrections (even with their 94 and a 91 octane tune) so I'm not a fan of their product.

Shell is also 'stable' in that their product seems consistent.

Not sure how much it's effecting your issues but at least I can offer some insight as to what local fuel to use.

I'm pretty busy with my van right now but just hit me up if you have any major issues.

Hey man any knowledge is greatly appreciated, ill start using husky it may very well solve my issues. I'm gonna flash the stage 2 map since I dont experiance heat soak and see if that maybe fixes it. I'm far from the drop in air filter requirements for the stage 1 so maybe that's what it is, who knows

OP
T
Thread Starter #15
https://datazap.me/u/patrick1996/4th-gear-pull?log=0&data=9-11-12-17

idk if that will work but i managed to look at my datalog on data zap instead of numbers, on numbers it shows my engine knocking about a thousand times whereas on data zap it only registers 2 knock counts. i also noticed all 4 cylinders are doing their own thing in regards to ignition timing, none of them are on par. for example cal one might be sitting at 2.00 degrees added timing while cyl 1 sits at 1.5. if you guys can view the datalog you will se what im talking about, im almost wondering if things are actually running fine. ps i only held to 5k rpm as cops are heavy around my area

https://datazap.me/u/patrick1996/4th-gear-pull?log=0&data=9-11-12-17

idk if that will work but i managed to look at my datalog on data zap instead of numbers, on numbers it shows my engine knocking about a thousand times whereas on data zap it only registers 2 knock counts. i also noticed all 4 cylinders are doing their own thing in regards to ignition timing, none of them are on par. for example cal one might be sitting at 2.00 degrees added timing while cyl 1 sits at 1.5. if you guys can view the datalog you will se what im talking about, im almost wondering if things are actually running fine. ps i only held to 5k rpm as cops are heavy around my area
Granted my knowledge of tuning is pretty limited, but nothing especially stands out to me. You're getting a little knock on all cylinders, and it pulls timing immediately as I would expect. To me this just says fuel quality. Not bad enough to push the OAR up, but marginal enough to get a little knock at high load.

OP
T
Thread Starter #17
Granted my knowledge of tuning is pretty limited, but nothing especially stands out to me. You're getting a little knock on all cylinders, and it pulls timing immediately as I would expect. To me this just says fuel quality. Not bad enough to push the OAR up, but marginal enough to get a little knock at high load.

Okay, after 4 hours reading strtifieds blog and comparing data back to back thats what I thought to, some knock is okay, the severity wasn't too bad except that one knock that pulled like 2.5 °, im gonna have to hit up a husky station next and compare that data

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
And Husky 94 is E10, I filled up the 4Runner today - just as an FYI

Good luck with the corrections - you'll see larger corrections on an off the shelf tune as our altitude isn't (usually) compensated for.

OP
T
Thread Starter #19
And Husky 94 is E10, I filled up the 4Runner today - just as an FYI

Good luck with the corrections - you'll see larger corrections on an off the shelf tune as our altitude isn't (usually) compensated for.
Yeah ixread on petro can all of their premium grade fuels have up to 10% ethanol blend, but ill give husky a shot it should fix everything.

Needless to say I'm quite impatient lol half tempted to load stratifieds tune but I know its a bad idea before I get my intercooler, looks like it will be another 2 weeks of waiting..... oh well more time to test different fuels and pull data to compare !

Se7eN

Mods include:
MBRP 3" catback
injen CAI
All tunes will take away a bit of timing as the moment of knock and then keep advancing after that. Ideally there is no knock and all cylinders end up in the same timing advance at the end of the rpm range you log to. Of course the more knock the less timing you will end up with.