Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SO MUCH metal in the oil at 1100!!!

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Not sure if the st use it but ford has been using motorcaft XL-17 in factory fill oil for break in. Do a google search and you will see.
But thats in vehicles with a known 'tick'. When I dropped my oil it was very green, and considering the fact that XL-17 is very dark, I can't imagine that it would have been in my engine.

me32

1000 Post Club
But thats in vehicles with a known 'tick'. When I dropped my oil it was very green, and considering the fact that XL-17 is very dark, I can't imagine that it would have been in my engine.
Sounds like something was in it cause oil isn't green. Gold and brown or black but never seen green in oil that wasnt from coolant.

dyn085

2000 Post Club
Sounds like something was in it cause oil isn't green. Gold and brown or black but never seen green in oil that wasnt from coolant.
You'll find out differently from many people that have changed their oil within the first few hundred miles. Same thing apples to the Focus community and I would imagine many, if not all, other Ford's.

me32

1000 Post Club
You'll find out differently from many people that have changed their oil within the first few hundred miles. Same thing apples to the Focus community and I would imagine many, if not all, other Ford's.
That would mean factory fill has additives then.

I did my oil change at home around 150 miles and it had plenty of metal shavings and oil had a greenish hue to it. I will do another oil change at around 1000 miles and report. I am still using the Motorcraft 5w20 synthetic blend, I will be using full synthetic in the future.
Cheers.

koozy

3000 Post Club
My factory fill oil had a greenish hue to it when I picked it up with 6 miles on the clock, it didn't look like normal oil. It now has a black hue to it now with 3,300 miles on it. Indicating that the possibility of whatever additive may be in the factory fill is being depleted. When I change out the factory fill at 5,000 miles I intend to send a sample to Blackstone, hoping they can give some insight into the factory fill oil, break-in and wear on both the motor and the oil.

There is more of a risk of you or a Ford technician cross threading the drain plug from the 3 oil changes, this shouldn't even be top 100 things to worry about, especially if you drive your car spirited or modify the car at all.

me32

1000 Post Club
My factory fill oil had a greenish hue to it when I picked it up with 6 miles on the clock, it didn't look like normal oil. It now has a black hue to it now with 3,300 miles on it. Indicating that the possibility of whatever additive may be in the factory fill is being depleted. When I change out the factory fill at 5,000 miles I intend to send a sample to Blackstone, hoping they can give some insight into the factory fill oil, break-in and wear on both the motor and the oil.
That would be great. I would like to know what they say. Also mine turned black hue too. I believe its suppose to do that.

the assembly lube ford uses is green (like lucas assembly lube) so i suppose that would give it the green hue you're seeing as i mixes in with the oil.