Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

So my oil exploded

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
You could even go the blue top engine from pumaspeed and that’s even less.
Keep in mind shipping times - you're either paying ridiculous prices to get it shipped via air or waiting a month plus for it to come via boat.

Hopefully OP has a quality mechanic at hand! Might need to stock up on wobble pops.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Good luck with this whole situation. I would be absolutely screwed if this happened to me, but thanks for documenting it all. It's interesting to see.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #43
I consider myself a pretty decent mechanic. My other project is a partially built lm7 that was going to go into a bmw 330i but with the fiesta being my DD I'm gonna have to sell that project and stick with just the fiesta now. If you guys want, I can document the install but considering it's just a drop in motor I'm not sure it'll be that informative. It seems pretty straight forward.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
I consider myself a pretty decent mechanic. My other project is a partially built lm7 that was going to go into a bmw 330i but with the fiesta being my DD I'm gonna have to sell that project and stick with just the fiesta now. If you guys want, I can document the install but considering it's just a drop in motor I'm not sure it'll be that informative. It seems pretty straight forward.

Everyone likes pictures!!

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Lol ok I'll give you guys the inside edition when it gets here. And sincerely, thank you for everyone who helped me out.

Good luck - there are a number of people who have had to do engine swaps / rebuilds etc so if any issues come up I’m sure the hive mind can get it sorted.

Pictures would be great, videos even better! There's a service manual PDF floating around the web incase you need some guidance.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #48
Redtop with I beams ordered today with an x47r in route. $6508 with foreign exchange rate. Not bad considering a new oem replacement motor and turbo would have been 5500. 300 of that was exchange and 500 for the shipping. Should easily Max out stock fuel system and make at least 300 hp.

My bet would be that you got some heavy detonation and blew a hole in a piston, more than likely one of the center pistons because they do tend to run hotter than the end cylinders. When you do blow a hole in a piston at high rpm and WOT all that cylinder pressure is fed into the crankcase, resulting in dipsticks going into orbit and in many cases the oil fill caps being blown off. Basically your engine is totaled, block for sure and perhaps the head. If you don't find a bent valve that means that the head is probably ok. BTW, the valves can get bent when debris from that failed piston gets trapped between the valve and piston remnants. On these heads any impact between piston and valves is transferred directly to the camshaft, so if you find a bent valve you will also find the head damaged beyond repair. You may also find that debris got passed thru your turbo so that could also be toast along with the Cat. Remember, when an engine blows everything downstream is suspect.

As someone suggested your best option at this point is to restore everything to the Factory OEM condition and hopefully you can remove all traces of any modifications or Tunes. Because if they find any evidence of a non Ford tune they will void your warranty immediately.

BTW, the detonation that caused this chain of events is very likely the result of an over aggressive tune, too much boost and too much timing will always result in a system that is walking a tightrope towards detonation. I'll also note that running 29 psi of boost on the OEM short block is just asking for a blown motor. Because the OEM engine uses cast pistons and those don't come close to the strength of forged pistons.
It's why my plan is to save up for a Mountune short block before doing anything with a larger turbo. If it will fit into your budget I would suggest obtaining that short block and building around that. You may get lucky and find your cylinder head is repairable in which case it's just a matter of putting the two together. BTW, at 2495.00 that short block is actually a real bargain. Was a time when I put together a 60 over SBC using "the good stuff" and fully assembled and balanced that short block was a 3000 dollar investment.

Last edited:
OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50
Hey scooter123, I actually confirmed what you said about the engine yesterday. It's fucked, that's why I ordered a new one as well as a new turbo.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sorry to tell ya....Engine is fucked....start looking for a Yard motor....its way cheaper than building one. If you're not pushing High Hp numbers it's just not worth it.Plus the down time will be less significant than building.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
I GUESS there is an echo in here....been saying the Engine was up secretion tributary without means of propulsion for most of the thread. Best of luck with the New engine....hopefully Pumaspeed doesn't take their sweet ass time in getting it to you man!

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #52
Lol typhoonfist I know you did man. I got you. I just had to check how fucked it was. The difference in price buying a head versus the whole thing is a ton, almost 3 grand so you know, I had to make sure.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #54
Due to the cost. It was about 300 dollars more with everything I wanted. Plus if you look at their site even the lowest tier x57 has a lot of requirements or recommendations that I don't currently have on the car such as aux fueling and a full size intercooler