Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Softened suspension setup

tbak

I own a 2023 Ford Fiesta ST MK8. I use the car daily, and lately, I've been driving more on highways. I'm looking for a slightly softer suspension setup. I know about the KW V3 kit with hardness adjustments, but it seems quite expensive and more suited for track use. Has anyone installed any other setups and can offer advice?

Are you looking for a smoother ride? Or what is the goal? It's pretty rare anyone ever looks for a suspension setup that is softer than stock.
I don't know much about the MK8 chassis, however a bigger sidewall on a tire will make a car ride much smoother over bumps than many people think. On top of less un sprung weight, the suspension can do it's job more efficiently. I would look into some lightweight wheels and run a bigger sidewall and see how you like that.

If you're going with a bigger sidewall tire, I would recommend adjusting the tire pressures accordingly using this calculator.

I had my 205/50R16 tires at the OEM 39PSI front and 36PSI rear and was wondering why I could not feel a difference in ride.

For the same load rating, the calculator suggested 31 PSI front, 28 PSI rear using my 50 sidewall tires. I lowered them to 33 PSI front and 30 PSI rear and I could feel a difference right away.

For ride quality, I can't comment on the MK8 Fiesta, but if it follows the same engineering logic than the MK7, it is probably over-damped (meaning, dampers have too much damping force applied either rebound or compression) from the factory.

If you're interested in coilover with adjustable damping, keep in mind that the springs with those kits will be significantly stiffer than stock, but you'll be able to adjust the damping to your liking. Many people on these forums have reported that some coilovers have increased the ride quality (I have seen good comments on the BC coilover series). Adjustable damping does not equal better damping, however, so keep that in mind.

I was surprised at the improvement in ride quality going from a Firestone Indy 500 to a Continental ECS 02. The ECS 02 doesn't exist in 205/50/16, but you could look for another high quality tire with better than typical ride quality.

+
If you're going with a bigger sidewall tire, I would recommend adjusting the tire pressures accordingly using this calculator.

I had my 205/50R16 tires at the OEM 39PSI front and 36PSI rear and was wondering why I could not feel a difference in ride.

For the same load rating, the calculator suggested 31 PSI front, 28 PSI rear using my 50 sidewall tires. I lowered them to 33 PSI front and 30 PSI rear and I could feel a difference right away.

For ride quality, I can't comment on the MK8 Fiesta, but if it follows the same engineering logic than the MK7, it is probably over-damped (meaning, dampers have too much damping force applied either rebound or compression) from the factory.

If you're interested in coilover with adjustable damping, keep in mind that the springs with those kits will be significantly stiffer than stock, but you'll be able to adjust the damping to your liking. Many people on these forums have reported that some coilovers have increased the ride quality (I have seen good comments on the BC coilover series). Adjustable damping does not equal better damping, however, so keep that in mind.
+1 to using the pressure calculator. I run 205/45r17s and the stock pressure is way too stiff.