Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Solved - Rattle from the timing belt side

Alright, so clutch rattle being out of the way, onto the next thing... I shoved a mic under the hood on the timing/accessory belt side and recorded this at idle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60dw884k2ivopzf/engine_noise_1.mp3?dl=0

Does that sound familiar to anyone? Any opinions on whether this can be a bearing going bad or just a loud belt? Trying to diagnose with lazyweb again before attempting to get dealership techs to listen to my recordings :LOL:

Car is at 56k city miles.

Cheers,

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Alright, so clutch rattle being out of the way, onto the next thing... I shoved a mic under the hood on the timing/accessory belt side and recorded this at idle.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60dw884k2ivopzf/engine_noise_1.mp3?dl=0

Does that sound familiar to anyone? Any opinions on whether this can be a bearing going bad or just a loud belt? Trying to diagnose with lazyweb again before attempting to get dealership techs to listen to my recordings :LOL:

Car is at 56k city miles.

Cheers,
sounds like our engines lol. Our engines are noisy naturally. They are not a quite running engine they sound like a noisy sewing machine. Direct injection is noisy. I dd not hear anything in that that sounded like a bearing and honestly our engines are noisy enough I am not sure you would hear a bad bearing lol. Unless you had a rod knock. Though seeing as our engines are interference engines a rod knock could lead to a bent valve. lol Kaboom.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Barring anything else being wrong, check the motor mount there. All the weight of the engine/trans, and its rotation under load ends up stressing that side.

Sam4

Barring anything else being wrong, check the motor mount there. All the weight of the engine/trans, and its rotation under load ends up stressing that side.
Yes - motor mounts are junk! I beefed mine up with the PowerFlex inserts from Woosh, mainly because the VibraTechnics was on B/O. Passenger side was trashed and I ordered and OE from Rock and reused the PF yellow pad. Better, not best.....

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #5
Well, the motor mounts seem fine, thankfully, also seeing how I replaced all of them last year..

I did stethoscope the tensioner pulley and it sounded pretty loud and dry to me. Unfortunately, i have no idea how brand new pulley stethoscopes like, so we'll see what the techs say tomorrow.

Another sound seems to be the deeper clacking that you may be able to hear on this segment here while RPMs go down after going up.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzl6PnJgBkk&feature=youtu.be&t=31

Going to ask them to take oil sample too, let's see what Blackstone discovers

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #6
Progress update...

Went to the dealer, they found axle support bearing that apparently needed to be replaced, but that didn't fix the noise in the video..

After that, decided to look at the belt system again, and noticed that the crank shaft pulley is wobbling! Went to the dealer second time and service reps somehow were not convinced. Got a few of "well, 4 cylinder is inherently unbalanced!" and "well, if you look at truck tires, they also look like they wobble but they're not!". Their foremen were on vacation so rescheduled the meeting for next Thursday.

Meanwhile, figured I can record the pulley in slow mo and got this. Kind of looks like its wobbling to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TWQF9D6f7I

Additionally, managed to reach the idler pulley and turns out I can deflect it by hand! Tensioner pulley feels secure but stethoscopes even worse.

Now, on the subject of clacking, I poked stethoscope at the engine block in the following points...

Inked2014-Fiesta-ST-engine_LI.jpg

Side closer to the belt sounds pretty even, but the one closer to the battery sounds uneven with clacky bursts 😶 Not sure how to record that, unforunately...

Pretty sure I got enough ammo for the next appointment, but who knows 🙄

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Progress update...

Went to the dealer, they found axle support bearing that apparently needed to be replaced, but that didn't fix the noise in the video..

After that, decided to look at the belt system again, and noticed that the crank shaft pulley is wobbling! Went to the dealer second time and service reps somehow were not convinced. Got a few of "well, 4 cylinder is inherently unbalanced!" and "well, if you look at truck tires, they also look like they wobble but they're not!". Their foremen were on vacation so rescheduled the meeting for next Thursday.

Meanwhile, figured I can record the pulley in slow mo and got this. Kind of looks like its wobbling to me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TWQF9D6f7I

Additionally, managed to reach the idler pulley and turns out I can deflect it by hand! Tensioner pulley feels secure but stethoscopes even worse.

Now, on the subject of clacking, I poked stethoscope at the engine block in the following points...

View attachment 33689

Side closer to the belt sounds pretty even, but the one closer to the battery sounds uneven with clacky bursts 😶 Not sure how to record that, unforunately...

Pretty sure I got enough ammo for the next appointment, but who knows 🙄
Ok given all this it does sound like something might be wrong internally as for their explanations lol you got some real num nuts at that Ford dealership, “All we see is trucks round here boy we don’t know a gosh darn thing about cars” :ROFLMAO:

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #8
Yeah, not the kind of things I'd like to hear. Well, on the other hand, at least they're not giving up on my car yet, so I guess that's something.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
I CAN'T WATCH YOUR VIDEOS BUT I KNOW I HAD A CUSTOMER COME IN FOR WHAT YOU DESCRIBED AND AFTER DOING THIS AND THAT THE NOISE NEVER WENT AWAY.

AFTER THAT CUSTOMER I'VE LISTENED TO MY CAR EVERY MORNING SINCE. AND I GET THE EXACT SAME NOISE HE DID ON START UPS FOR A SECOND OR TWO. WE HAVE DEEMED IT NORMAL SO I'M CURIOUS IF YOUR GUYS FIND ANYTHING

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #10
Got the car back today; idler pulley and accessory belt tensioner were confirmed to be on their way out. After they were replaced, now the car sounds and feels like I remember it new.

In regards to wobbling crank shaft pulley, according to the shop, some wobble is normal. Seeing how the car feels good now, I'll accept that answer. I can imagine it wobbles somewhat more than a brand new one, but hopefully it holds until I do the timing belt.

In regards to knocking through the engine block, soon after posting the last report, I double checked and confirmed that it's actually the dual mass flywheel, and this is a virtually brand new flywheel too. Blackstone oil report confirms engine internals are in good shape as well.

Now, onto enjoying my car once again.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Got the car back today; idler pulley and accessory belt tensioner were confirmed to be on their way out. After they were replaced, now the car sounds and feels like I remember it new.

In regards to wobbling crank shaft pulley, according to the shop, some wobble is normal. Seeing how the car feels good now, I'll accept that answer. I can imagine it wobbles somewhat more than a brand new one, but hopefully it holds until I do the timing belt.

In regards to knocking through the engine block, soon after posting the last report, I double checked and confirmed that it's actually the dual mass flywheel, and this is a virtually brand new flywheel too. Blackstone oil report confirms engine internals are in good shape as well.

Now, onto enjoying my car once again.
Was/IS this covered under the power train 5 YEAR/60K mile warranty?

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #14
As I understand, the repairs are covered under _a_ warranty; I'm currently at the end of the last year (7) of my extended one, so I was trying to fix as many things as possible. My service rep is out this week, I need to confirm everything with him this upcoming one and I'll try to remember to ask him which specific warranty is it going under.

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #15
Ok, so I still kind of worry about that crank pulley wobble. If anyone watching this thread has an iphone or anything else that can capture slo mo, could you folks record a video of it idling and post it here please? You'll probably need a light to illuminate it from the direction of the camera. Much appreciated in advance!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Crank pulleys need to have some type of vibration damping feature for the damping of harmonics or torsional vibration to extend the life of the engine. It also extends the life of the Alt. Water pump and its pulleys. If they didn't have a weight to counter balance or different type of material used to dampen harmonics it would shorten this little ecoboosts life drastically.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #17
Yeah, that makes sense. What bothers me is that the video I took shows it wobbling along the crank and there's the spot on the pulley where you can see light reflecting differently off one of the edges (and my guess its that's the edge where the rubber layer sits on), which to me says the ring is now somewhat unevenly deflected off the inner pulley part.

Unfortunately I dont have any local contacts with Fiestas and I thought to collect some more examples before I start bothering shops again

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Does ATI or Fluidampr (or anyone else?) make a crank pulley/harmonic balancer for these engines at all??

IF I ever had to replace the factory crank pulley, one of those is what I'd want to do it with. [wink]

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Nope. ATI doesnt make a damper as far as i know. Not enough market.

OP
foodtruck
Thread Starter #20
Got the final bill today; everything was covered under extended warranty and I had to pay $100 deductible. It had to be extended warranty because the car was older than 5 years. My rep wasn't 100% sure, but he said pulleys would've likely qualified for powertrain warranty, if I still had it.