Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Soon-to-be-Owner; American in Europe

Which of the three do you think I should choose?

• 2017 Black ST (and wrap it)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2018 Grey ST

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • 2019 White ST

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
Hello ST Drivers!

I'm looking to buy my Fiesta ST in the next month, and I've got a few options in the local area. Although I live in Germany, I'll be buying a US-spec car since I can register it through military channels.

Options are:
- 2017 Black w/25K miles for $15K
- 2018 Grey w/8K miles for $17.5K
- 2019 White w/8K miles for $21K

I'm leaning towards the grey '18 since it's my favorite color option, but if I decide to buy the black '17, some vinyl wrapping is likely in my future.

Hi.
North American Fiesta and European Fiesta are very different.
In the event of a breakdown, you will have to order spare parts from America, which is very long and expensive.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Welcome!

I kinda agree with the comment of buying a U.S. spec car means you would have to source parts from over here because there are a lot of things different here.

When in Rome do as the Romans is the phrase that comes to mind. Get yourself a Euro spec if used get the ST200 if new get a MK8 and experience what we can be only envious of. lol

Last edited:
OP
R
Thread Starter #8
As much as I'd love another Euro-spec car (currently own an Audi TDi Avant), I'll be moving back to the US in a couple of years. As for sourcing parts, I have a US address that I can have things shipped to when need be.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
As much as I'd love another Euro-spec car (currently own an Audi TDi Avant), I'll be moving back to the US in a couple of years. As for sourcing parts, I have a US address that I can have things shipped to when need be.
Fair enough. While you're there, see if you can pick up a set of LHD headlamps. They look a lot better than the US ones in my opinion.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When in Rome do as the Romans is the phrase that comes to mind. Get yourself a Euro spec if used get the ST200 if new get a MK8 and experience what we can be only envious of. lol
They will never let him bring a Mk8 ST into the country, except on one of those one year exclusions (like the R2/R5 rally cars get), and then it has to be sent back, or crushed. [crazyeye][nono]

Dpro

6000 Post Club
thats cool I get it. Ahem ditto on scoring the headlamps over there!

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
They will never let him bring a Mk8 ST into the country, except on one of those one year exclusions (like the R2/R5 rally cars get), and then it has to be sent back, or crushed. [crazyeye][nono]
Why can't you import one? If it meets all the safety and emission requirements shouldn't it be okay?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Why can't you import one? If it meets all the safety and emission requirements shouldn't it be okay?
Federal law, we used to be able to grey market cars back in the late 80’s but both BMW and Mercedes cried foul to the U.S. govermenment claimed the grey market cars were affecting their sales. Truth is the grey Market cars were the un dumbed down for America versions with the better engines i.e. more HP and special builds. Then the EPA got involved and that pretty much sealed the deal. No more Grey market or non sold in the U.S. vehicles unless they are 25 years old. Hence why one can now get a R32 Skyline GTR and license and drive it here now.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Federal law, we used to be able to grey market cars back in the late 80’s but both BMW and Mercedes cried foul to the U.S. govermenment claimed the grey market cars were affecting their sales. Truth is the grey Market cars were the un dumbed down for America versions with the better engines i.e. more HP and special builds. Then the EPA got involved and that pretty much sealed the deal. No more Grey market or non sold in the U.S. vehicles unless they are 25 years old. Hence why one can now get a R32 Skyline GTR and license and drive it here now.
That's a bummer. I thought that if you modify the car enough you could import anything. It's a shame. Atleast you should be able to get an R33 pretty soon.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
There are some exceptions to the import law. While I don't know the details and won't claim I do.

If I had the money, I would buy an Australian Holden Maloo or the wagon. They are super expensive given the work that goes into them. Starting at $60k

They bring them over, WITHOUT engine, convert to left hand drive and install G8 seats, dash, engine, etc.

http://www.lefthandutes.com/about.html

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
That's a bummer. I thought that if you modify the car enough you could import anything. It's a shame. Atleast you should be able to get an R33 pretty soon.
Who would want one? Lol all the enthusiasts used to feel the R33 was the undesirable it was called Grandpas car the R32 and R34 are much more desirable.

There are some exceptions to the import law. While I don't know the details and won't claim I do, if I had the money, I would buy an Australian Holden Maloo or the wagon. They are super expensive given the work that goes into them.

They bring them over, WITHOUT engine, convert to left hand drive and install G8 seats, dash, engine, etc.

http://www.lefthandutes.com/about.html
Lol Do they have DOT crash testing done and data for it? Do they have full EPA testing.
This road has been traveled before and shut down by the Feds, I.E, MotoRex, Plus a few others. I would be highly suspect.
I have been around the Import business too long color me highly skeptical of that company doing it full on Gov approved.

Last edited:

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Who would want one? Lol all the enthusiasts used to feel the R33 was the undesirable it was called Grandpas car the R32 and R34 are much more desirable.

Lol Do they have DOT crash testing done and data for it? Do they have full EPA testing.
This road has been traveled before and shut down by the Feds, I.E, MotoRex, Plus a few others. I would be highly suspect.
I have been around the Import business too long color me highly skeptical of that company doing it full on Gov approved.
Per their site:
GUARANTEED
Full US Emissions Legal and Insured. For the last two years, Left Hand Utes has been importing Utes into the U.S. and converting them to LEFTHAND DRIVE!

THE CONVERSION
Our Left Hand Utes are converted by stripping the Ute to bare body. We replace the firewall and rebuild the car from components using all AMERICAN OEM parts from the Pontiac GTO, G8, or Chevy Caprice.

THE FINEST QUALITY
We DO NOT CHOP the front end of the Ute and replace it with another car. We feel there are serious structural issues in doing this and we do not want the liability in case of failure when welding 2 cars to make one car.

With our conversions, all the required safety features are working per factory specifications, such as, anti-lock brakes, seat belts and air bags. Our cars also meet USA requirements for emissions and anti-theft.

What about insurance?
Most of the utes we have converted get insurance through. places like Chrome, Grundy or Hagerty. They insure them like a kit car or hot rod.

At 60k we can get a freakin brand new awesome 4x4 Ford F-150!
A brand new VF UTE SSV would be about 90k to 150k for a Maloo R8 VF. You can't have an imported RHD that is 25 years young and keep RHD, the drive train has to be USA spec and so does the gas tank and head lights. If you buy a ute in Oz you need to prep it to ship remove all non DOT and EPA parts then put in a shipping bin and ship to Florida, that with Customs fees would average about 9k to your house, next you need to get a USA spec Holden to match the year of your Holden and of course needs to be V8, the average doner car is 6k to 9k. You have all the parts, now is the fun part. You need pull out all RHD parts or just gut the whole ute to the body, change and weld the firewall, then wiring, then gas tank, door latchs, mirrors, headlights, then install doner engine, and exhaust (ute's is longer). We at Left Hand Utes charge 20k for labor, that does not include paper work fees.