Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Spark plug questions.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
What is the OE plug number? Ive searched and have seen about 5 different answers. Also, I wonder if a step colder would benefit the stage 3 cars running more boost timing?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
If anyone has more info, I'd love it. But so far, what we've come up with is that the mazda speed 3 and focus have normal pistons and the fist has a weird diesel looking piston. Which means the normal NGK that is a couple steps colder on those cars, doesn't really work for us as its not designed for our piston type or flame front crap, so... IdK, something.... I have 2 sets of the ngk's that are colder, but I stopped using them after I read about how they were not the correct TYPE for us. I had ( and still have ) too many variables to add spark plugs to my tuning right now.

I want to get a day when I can do a pull. Change to the ngks. Do a pull. Then change back to the stock plugs again, and do a pull, then post the v-dyno's.

But anyone can do that !!! Someone else do some testing besides me !! Lol.

Harvick

1000 Post Club
What is the OE plug number?
SP532
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...rch_spark_03435_5178145_-1&pt=03435&ppt=C0334

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...&search=true&year=2015&make=Ford&model=Fiesta

The SP532 is listed to be used on all these cars.
2013 - 2015
Escape SE L4 - 1.6L vin X 98ci 1601cc - MFI GAS DOHC Turbo-charged

Escape SEL L4 - 1.6L vin X 98ci 1601cc - MFI GAS DOHC Turbo-charged

2014 - 2015
Escape Titanium L4 - 1.6L vin X 98ci 1601cc - MFI GAS DOHC Turbo-charged

2014 - 2015
Fiesta ST L4 - 1.6L vin X 97ci 1596cc - DI GAS DOHC Turbo-charged

2013 - 2015
Fusion SE L4 - 1.6L vin R 97ci 1596cc - DI GAS DOHC Turbo-charged

Transit Connect Titanium L4 - 1.6L vin X 97ci 1596cc - DI GAS DOHC Turbo-charged
Transit Connect XL L4 - 1.6L vin X 97ci 1596cc - DI GAS DOHC Turbo-charged

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
My point exactly. One plug encompasses a lot of different motors which means it's a convenient plug not always the best.

I need to get the race software. I want to start tuning and logging again. It's been way to long.

watch out as a lot of plugs suggested to to be a replacement have different seat to our plugs and don't fit properly. I tried densos and mk1 focus rs which were both sold as 1 step cooler for us but did not fit properly. I still run standard at the moment with no issues at 1.6 bar of boost

I run the densos, stock heat range in winter months, noticed no issues with them. Soon i will put in 1 step colder for the summer.
I think i have 10000 km on theese plugs. Running 1.4bar boost.
Ian, can you run 1.6bar without meth injection?

yes 1.6 bar without methanol. I just chose to use it to boost octane and keep valves clean of gunk

OP
re-rx7

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
Hottest you can without pre ignition.

yes 1.6 bar without methanol. I just chose to use it to boost octane and keep valves clean of gunk
I considered the kit too, but not easy to get methanol here in Norway.
What gas do you use?, i use Shell VPower.

JPGC

2000 Post Club
I have concluded that until a company comes out with a plug specifically designed for the FiST, the stock plugs perform the best on a bolt-on stock turbo car.

Yes shell vpower. Not had much luck getting more power out of the methanol. Still testing different mounting locations. I dont want a tune that requires meth.

To get more power with meth, I thought this would require a new tune?, especially since the ECU(at least stock) is targeting torque.
I'm thinking you could get a small increase but not significant?
One function i'm really missing is a way to switch between tunes on the fly, doesn't seem possible without a very expensive standalone system(like pectel,life racing)

Sorry a bit of topic.

The ecu is open loop, it should read the lower temps and better fuel with the meth and advance the timing to suit thus produce more power.

Back to plugs i know one test peron car that runs 2bar of boost with meth tune on standard plugs

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
It should see lower charge temps and increase timing. Also, since the ecu increasing the timing until knock sensors start to see some knock, meth should make that level a lot further out.

Stock and cobb ots tunes leave a lot of timing on the table, so... It has plenty of room to add timing.

The ecu is open loop, it should read the lower temps and better fuel with the meth and advance the timing to suit thus produce more power.
makes sense, anyway logs will confirm it:)

Back to plugs i know one test peron car that runs 2bar of boost with meth tune on standard plugs
+1 for the stock plugs, i have to check up on this before going stage 4+. Hope there is a better alternative by then.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The usdm ecu uses boost/throttle to control torque, I don't think it uses timing advance/retard at all.