Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ST noob in need of help

Hi, as stated in the tittle im a new ST owner so I apologise in advance for my stupidity. (any help would be greatly appreciated) I recently bought a 1.6 180bhp Fiesta ST 2 from a used car dealer roughly two weeks ago, i used to have a 1.4 limited edition corsa with around 90 bhp so the ST is a big step up with ๐Ÿ˜‚ im pretty useless when it comes to cars and mechanical parts i donโ€™t know much but now owning the ST has made me want to know and learn, anyway, the car has recently passed 100,000 miles i think its sitting around 100,400 atm, as piece of mind im going to get the timing belt changed, ive only just noticed a potential problem when having a look around the car with the engine running, theres white smoke coming from the exhaust, not sure if this is a timing belt related issue but also once the car has been started almost instantly the rev needle slighty jumps or flickers around 1000rpm and the exhaust sounds spluttery if that makes any sense, after around roughly a minute its settles, there is also a rattle from under the car which I thought was the exhaust at first but after looking under the car i noticed the exhaust heat shield has came loose in one corner, just curious if any one has any knowledge or experience dealing with the same issues, i will add a few photos of the engine and timing belt, im sorry for the long post but i wanted as much info as possible for u guys, if any one has taken the time to read and/or reply thank u very much. (I have videos of the exhaust and timing belt running but dont think it worked when i tried uploading)

Attachments

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
That's the serpentine or accessory belt, not the timing belt. You can get it changed, it should be inexpensive to have a shop do it, maybe 2 hours labor tops if they take their time. Those pictures of the exhaust look normal for a cold start in cooler climates. What is the temperature like where you live? Can you take a video and upload it to YouTube so we can get a better idea?

OP
Comor
Thread Starter #3
That's the serpentine or accessory belt, not the timing belt. You can get it changed, it should be inexpensive to have a shop do it, maybe 2 hours labor tops if they take their time. Those pictures of the exhaust look normal for a cold start in cooler climates. What is the temperature like where you live? Can you take a video and upload it to YouTube so we can get a better idea?
Hi mate thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post, ive booked the car into the garage to change the timing belt for piece of mind, i live in Glasgow, Scotland so it does tend to be pretty cold majority of the time ๐Ÿ˜‚ i think u were spot on about the smoke right enough its a thin smoke not too thick or cloudy if that makes sense, i could upload a video to YouTube no problem if u needed a better look and to hear sounds of the engine etc but after looking on the forum i think most of the noises are common with the ST unsure for certain tho, thanks again for replying mate much appreciated

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Hi mate thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my post, ive booked the car into the garage to change the timing belt for piece of mind, i live in Glasgow, Scotland so it does tend to be pretty cold majority of the time ๐Ÿ˜‚ i think u were spot on about the smoke right enough its a thin smoke not too thick or cloudy if that makes sense, i could upload a video to YouTube no problem if u needed a better look and to hear sounds of the engine etc but after looking on the forum i think most of the noises are common with the ST unsure for certain tho, thanks again for replying mate much appreciated
You got it, happy to help. Make sure you tell them serpentine/Accessory belt, not timing belt. Our cars do have a timing chain but it's got a long life span. If you want that belt in your pictures replaced, then tell them accessory belt.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Actually we DO have an actual timing belt, and NOT a chain.

There is a factory scheduled maintenance replacement for it as well, but many on here do not risk going to the maximum edge of that recommendation, with our engines being of the 'interference' valvetrain variety, sadly. [wink]