Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

ST XTA Coil Over questions

BlueBomber

1000 Post Club
After I greased my tophats the squeak went away and never came back.

Still love my XTAs and this morning saw KAMIKAZEE who has XTAs as well and he agrees, the XTAs ride better than stock

So only one person cut the front tower? Also if I don't cut the tower what did everyone set the top adjustment at?

[MENTION=282]BlueBomber[/MENTION] what grease/ silicon spray did you use for the top hats on your xta coilovers. I just ordered mine and just wanted to know what you used so I won't run into the same noise issues. Thanks!

I just sprayed the hell out of the upper spring area because I think it's the helper spring that makes the noise, as well as the upper "hat"...I sprayed dry silicon in from the top of the shock towers on the offending front left coilover and rear right coilover, the front left was binding and clunking and the lubricant fixed it- I got the information by reading Megan Racing's "FAQ"/fixes for coilovers, and this was the solution listed, and it works. Apparently KW/ST sometimes forget to include some kind of anti squeak insert, or so the rumor goes. Love the coilovers and the solution was a 7.99 can of lube lol

For the rears there is a hole in the towers just big enough for a wd-40/lubespray straw and that's how you can get the rear one. The fronts I hit through the openings in the top of the front strut tower, and then also jacked up the car and lubricated the helper spring/main spring where they come together and that fixed the noises.
Hey BlueBomber bringing back an old thread here but I have a question.

What kind of lube did you use? Never seen a dry silicone. I recently installed a set of Vogtland Lowering Springs and am experiencing some pretty bad coil bind...

I noticed these springs don't have a rubber coated coil like my Eibachs on others cars have had.

I double checked my install everything seems as it should be. Really hoping this isn't something I need to live with.

Thanks in advance Matthew

Chuckable

Bumping this thread, too. How does everyone like the ST XTA coilovers? There are some complaints of squeaking. No one wants coilovers that need constant maintenance, so trying to figure out if these are problematic, or just an isolated incident or two of needing some lubricant.

Bumping this thread, too. How does everyone like the ST XTA coilovers? There are some complaints of squeaking. No one wants coilovers that need constant maintenance, so trying to figure out if these are problematic, or just an isolated incident or two of needing some lubricant.
I've had mine for about 6 months now and have not had any squeaks or any noises, those noises will happen when you install them brand new and all you need to do is lubracate the rubber pieces and you should be all good.

I had some bad squeaking in the back but I drilled out the hole in the rear shock mount to make it bigger because the top nut was making contact with the frame. Drilled it out and put a lil black paint and problem solved. No noise for coil binding up front. I did upgrade these to the KW V3's so I'll be selling my xta's soon.

Chuckable

I had some bad squeaking in the back but I drilled out the hole in the rear shock mount to make it bigger because the top nut was making contact with the frame. Drilled it out and put a lil black paint and problem solved. No noise for coil binding up front. I did upgrade these to the KW V3's so I'll be selling my xta's soon.
Thanks for the feedback. The rear noise seems common, but easily fixed. How come you upgraded to KW V3s if you don't mind me asking?

Honestly I was just curious to see how they rode on our cars and if they were worth the money. Nothing wrong with my xta's but I like to try different suspensions. I'm sticking with the V3's. Amazing suspension!!!

The ST XTAs in all the photos only have the yellow bumpstop on them but mine have two extra black ones on top for the rears. Do i keep those, manual says nothing about anything except the yellow one.

I just installed mine. God dam it was sooo easy. Even with drilling out the upper mount for the rear shock. No noises from my house to the alignment shop and back.

Does anyone know if they make aftermarket solid upper mounts? I kinda wish I bought BC Racing because the rears come with a nice upper mount that looks solid.

The elongated upper pinch bolt holes; Where in that range is stock? As in, imagine ST didn't give us an elongated hole...