Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stage 3 with stock CBE

Not sure if anyone has run this setup... I'm thinking of going basically stage 3 without a CBE. Just front mount, noncat down pipe and intake with a pro tune. What are your guys thoughts on the subject? From what I have read, most people say that a CBE is mainly a cosmetic mod. Thanks!

pwnall1337

Vendor
I think the cobb exhaust is the best sounding. Not sure why you wouldn't want it :

Also you mention a non catted down pipe. I see you're in Cali. No way you're gonna get away with that in Cali lol. I'm in San Antonio and there is no emission testing here in Bexar county.

I did the same thing with the stock cutback, you're good to go. With a protune the intake isn't really necessary either. I'm running intercooler, catted downpipe, and protune.

All your really need is a good downpipe, i am in the same boat as you, I want stage 3 power with a stock looking and sounding car.

I've been using the OTS stage 3 with a j-line, 2j race pipe and a modded airbox. Probably going to get an e-tune from Randy soon, even though the OTS has been awesome.

me32

1000 Post Club
I think it will work great. I was thinking of the same kind of setup in the future. Doing a down pipe an IC. Then leaving stock catback and modify the inlet on the stock air to allow more air to come threw the ram air setup.

OP
Sirsinclair
Thread Starter #7
I'm mainly concerned from a power aspect. If I'd lose any power not using an aftermarket CBE

I'm probably leaving a little bit on the table, but it's negligible especially considering performance/dollar ratio.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
But the intake and exhaust sound so good! Haha.

To be honest I kinda wish I would have went intercooler before exhaust but I love my cobb exhaust and just saving up for the intercooler now to go full stage 2.

You'll be happy either way.

fST

I did the same thing with the stock cutback, you're good to go. With a protune the intake isn't really necessary either. I'm running intercooler, catted downpipe, and protune.
Is there any way I can get a sound clip? I've been looking for a clip with a catted downpipe on stock exhaust and can't find any. That is the exact setup I'd be looking to do when/if I get a FiST.

Is there any way I can get a sound clip? I've been looking for a clip with a catted downpipe on stock exhaust and can't find any. That is the exact setup I'd be looking to do when/if I get a FiST.
A catted dp with stock exhaust will sound stock.

I have a mountune catted DP with stock CBE. The only difference in sound would be a little more spooling sound - otherwise to me it sounds exactly like stock.

fST

A catted dp with stock exhaust will sound stock.
I have a mountune catted DP with stock CBE. The only difference in sound would be a little more spooling sound - otherwise to me it sounds exactly like stock.
That's interesting. Isn't the cat higher flowing? There's still gains right? I suppose this is different than a NA car? I have a high flow cat and stock catback on my SVT Focus and there's a louder tone to it for sure.

Cobb did address this question somewhat on their website. They say it is safe to run the Stage 3 tune with a stock CBE, as long as you have all the other parts installed. As for power, I don't think anyone has dynoed their car back to back with stock and aftermarket CBE to say for absolute certain. I'd wager that if it is safe to run the Stage 3 tune without a CBE, then the power losses would likely be very minimal since the stock CBE creating excessive backpressure would make the tune unsafe. Just some armchair analysis.

Also if you are just trying to be stealthy but really want to make sure you are getting every last horse, check out clips of the Milltek resonated exhaust. It sounds extremely close to stock.

koozy

3000 Post Club
I've been running Stage 3 OTS and tweaked maps of the Stage 3 OTS tune to accommodate ethanol blends ranging from E10 to E45 with the OEM cat-back exhaust, because I like the sleeper aspect. No issues at all other than possibly leaving some HP/Torque on the table, which is ok with me. Check out my build thread for more info http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3074-koozy-s-ST