Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Steering Rack bushings are rubber, I might make a solid one....

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
They are very stiff, more so than other cars but even my race and street Vettes had better steering feel and no added harshness with billet aluminum inserts so I might make something for the ST.

http://www.fiestast.org/forum/attac...ll-rubber-may-make-solid-ones-dscn3663-1-.jpg

A simpler trick I might test first is using a washer, two, three, whatever stacked as long as they bolt will tighten down all the way. The washers have to fit into the housing, etc....to do this right.

OP
R

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
Thread Starter #2
I worked on this a bit today as well, made some 3/16" aluminum rings, 24mm hole, 28mm outer diameter, it was difficult to keep them lined up while tightening the bolts down and even then did not tighten things up enough so I have a new idea.

I am going to make 1/8" aluminum "bushings" to fit around the stock rubber inserts for the top and bottom so when I tighten the bolts it will make the rack directly tied to the sub frame so the bushings are no longer in effect.

I had solid billet bushings in my street Vette and it was fine, much better steering feedback and no added harshness or noise.