Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Step colders, E30 Hard Start

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I switched back to step colders. Inspecting my stock heat plugs there was some slight blistering on the plugs. But today after running to the store my car took 3 cranks to start. When the car is cold it usually starts pretty easy, but when it’s warm it seems to struggle to start. I’m going to switch to 93 to see if that helps with starting. Anyone else have this issue with step colders and ethanol?

dhminer

2000 Post Club
I switched back to step colders. Inspecting my stock heat plugs there was some slight blistering on the plugs. But today after running to the store my car took 3 cranks to start. When the car is cold it usually starts pretty easy, but when it’s warm it seems to struggle to start. I’m going to switch to 93 to see if that helps with starting. Anyone else have this issue with step colders and ethanol?
I ran e30 and step colder plugs on stock turbo for a while. Never had any issues.

akiraproject24

1000 Post Club
U.S. Marine Veteran
No. I have seen where the car will crank an extra half second or so (enough to notice) to turn over but its very rare and nothing Im concerned about.

I'd venture to guess you keep your intake element good and fresh. How many miles on coil packs?

Will these cars make calibration adjustments over a certain mileage when you change your spark plugs? My car already had step colders when I "changed" to step colders.

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
No. I have seen where the car will crank an extra half second or so (enough to notice) to turn over but its very rare and nothing Im concerned about.

I'd venture to guess you keep your intake element good and fresh. How many miles on coil packs?

Will these cars make calibration adjustments over a certain mileage when you change your spark plugs? My car already had step colders when I "changed" to step colders.
Just put in the whoosh coil packs. Brisk silver step colders pre gapped to .026.
I had this issue on NGKs step colders. I was wondering if there’s something on the tuning end that can be done.

Business6

When I ran step colders on my first engine I couldn't start the car for a while after it got up to operating temp. I've had this happen regardless of NGK or Brisk

https://www.fiestastforum.com/threads/hard-to-start-when-engine-is-warm.24613/

For what it's worth, I feel that the first response of getting a compression test might have been the best thing to do.

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #6

Business6

Uh-oh. What did your compression test show?
I didn't get one, which is why, looking back at it and now on my second engine, I think it might have revealed some issues. I did have a spark plug socket get stuck in the same cylinder that died, which I don't doubt is where the issue first began. It took far, far too much effort to get that thing out and I think it's a safe assumption the problem just grew from there.

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
I could just go back to stock plugs which have no issue starting. My stock plugs had some very minor blistering, and I run E30 almost exclusively.

I think I’ll switch to 93 first, if that doesn’t help, go back to stock plugs. If there is a problem with compression I would probably sell the car.

Dialcaliper

I could just go back to stock plugs which have no issue starting. My stock plugs had some very minor blistering, and I run E30 almost exclusively.

I think I’ll switch to 93 first, if that doesn’t help, go back to stock plugs. If there is a problem with compression I would probably sell the car.
Odd question, but are you having the problem with hot starts in very cold weather, or is it fairly balmy where you are? Ethanol can make hot starts difficult (not just cold)

Could be a compression issue, but it’s also possible it’s an electrical issue and the new plugs are just over the edge - are they gapped the same as stock or narrower gap? Narrow gap is a weaker lower voltage spark when you are not under boos. How old is your battery and have you checked the voltage with the car off?

OP
G

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #10
We’ll this is discouraging. My car hit -4.25 ignition corrections in cylinder 1 during a 5th gear pull. I sent tune+ an email and he said he doesn’t recommend brisk plugs or anything but OEM coil packs. FML.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The LSx community, and maybe even the Ford Coyote engine community had some problems with the Brisk plugs when they were first available here.

But it seems that some of our 4 pot EcoBoost members run them with no ill effects at all. [dunno]