Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock airbox mods

Hi guys. I know, another "airbox" thread [:o]

Has anyone removed the snorkel (highlighted in blue) and noticed an improvement in sound?

Can the bit highlighted in red be detached from the box or would it need to be cut out?

I have a k&n panel filter and would like to improve the sound a bit without cutting up the airbox.

Thanks

Attachments

During Australian winter i remove the s bend as the 2 90 degrees bends restrict air flow, Aussie summer is to hot to do this. I run a Mountune lower air box with bottom feed going directly to front of car near fog light, then for track days ive created a 90mm side air entry directly feeding from a modified head light. All scenarios have produced a louder and varying note difference with improved consistency of my performance.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

OP
georgie
Thread Starter #3
That looks awesome man! My problem is with the warranty/maintenance plan. I tried to get a stock box from the dealer so I could modify that one, but they want R2400 ($170) [rofl]

Rhinopolis

I drilled many "small" holes in to the bottom of the box and in to the sides, to help the box better breathe and so that more incoming cooler air could make its way to my Cobb filter. If you didn't know, the Cobb Filter utilizes the stock airbox.

OP
georgie
Thread Starter #5
I drilled many "small" holes in to the bottom of the box and in to the sides, to help the box better breathe and so that more incoming cooler air could make its way to my Cobb filter. If you didn't know, the Cobb Filter utilizes the stock airbox.
I would drill holes but am worried the dealer might notice. How was the sound compared to a sealed box?

Rhinopolis

I would drill holes but am worried the dealer might notice. How was the sound compared to a sealed box?
No change in sound with the Cobb or in drilling holes in to the air box. I purchased a 2J cowl intake second hand from a guy in Houston who daily drives his car, and the 2J was too aggressive for him. With that intake I will definitely notice a change in sound.

OP
georgie
Thread Starter #7
No change in sound with the Cobb or in drilling holes in to the air box.
Thanks for clearing that up. I'll just leave it stock for now.

Aftermarket intakes work out to way too much money here in SA

R4000 - R7000 ($280 - $500)

TUX15ST

Your never going to be happy with the intake noise of a stock intake, however it is one of the most effective at actually providing cold air

Just slap on a MAF adapter and cone filter if you are looking for sounds. Easy to swap back to the stock box too.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Just slap on a MAF adapter and cone filter if you are looking for sounds. Easy to swap back to the stock box too.
You'll get sound but you're actually reducing performance due to the air being hotter, the stock airbox does a good job at delivering cool air through the air dam in the front grille.

You'll get sound but you're actually reducing performance due to the air being hotter, the stock airbox does a good job at delivering cool air through the air dam in the front grille.
Yes i know, this is why i am running a drop in only [like]. Butt if hes looking for pure sound and doesnt care for performance then that would be the cheapest way to go, unless he wants a BOV spacer?

OP
georgie
Thread Starter #15
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

There is a maf housing and cone combo available for R1500 ($105) locally. Where would I secure the cone filter though? Could I leave the bottom half of the airbox in place and strap it to that somehow? Not too keen on a filter just hanging from the maf like like the pic below.

As far as performance is concerned, i am not looking to gain, but would also not like to lose any either.

Attachments

OP
georgie
Thread Starter #16
A Forge BOV spacer is around R1000 ($70)

Is that the better option for sound? Can it be picked up when the dealer logs the car?

Not too sure about just increasing the blow off sound either, would like to have a more aggressive engine note as well.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Fiesta SFE 1.0L air box modification by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

I added a velocity stack to the bottom and side of the factory lower airbox on my ST and my brother's 1.0L. The addition of both items seem to be working fine and the velocity stacks smooth out the airflow entering the airbox and amplify the sound coming back out during off-throttle boost purge.

KKaWing

Wow! The North American and European versions of the airbox are quite different (your image vs. BRGT350's)
The airbox is actually the same, I bought one from the UK to screw around with. It fits perfectly. The difference is actually the radiator shroud part. NA shrouds dip downwards, EU ones are raised. I found this out when I bought Sico Developement's intake "heat shield". It still fits though, just has the part over the radiator hose floating.

OP
georgie
Thread Starter #20
I added a velocity stack to the bottom and side of the factory lower airbox on my ST and my brother's 1.0L. The addition of both items seem to be working fine and the velocity stacks smooth out the airflow entering the airbox and amplify the sound coming back out during off-throttle boost purge.
Thats what I would like to do, trying to get a second airbox to mess with though. Looks great!