Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock Dampers+Swift Springs or Stock Springs+Koni Yellows?

Like the title says. Pros/cons of both. Car is used for DD and autocross. I'm not too concerned about classing since I run local events that don't have SCCA classing. Looking to hear opinions on both. thanks in advanced

Mikey456

I’m running stock dampers and Swift Springs. Before breaking in the springs it was on the harsh side (now on the firm side) Ive gotten used to it now and dropped the tire pressure to 36psi and like them better. Yes, I will replace the stock dampers (when they tear up) with Bilstein B6 if they are available.

Another alternative: Bilstein B6s and stock springs.
One advantage is that it would keep you in H Street for autocross (if that's a thing for you, and if other mods don't force you out). I felt there was more improvement in the handling and ride in the move to the B6s than there was when I added the Swifts to the mix. Granted, I didn't try it with just the Swifts on....

I have swift springs and love them! My suspension guy gave it a hmm that's pretty good result.

Next will be fortune auto's with a custome damper and spring rate for flat ride.

I ran Konis and Stock springs for a while. It is a great setup and can do a lot. I am now on Swift springs with the Konis and honestly, I think its too low. I had a lot of rubbing issues that I had to sort, and you cant go to Swifts without adding new tie rod ends sway bar end links too. I deal with it because I want the added performance on the track, but for a DD that races occasionally, stock springs and Konis is a much better option.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I ran Konis and Stock springs for a while. It is a great setup and can do a lot. I am now on Swift springs with the Konis and honestly, I think its too low. I had a lot of rubbing issues that I had to sort, and you cant go to Swifts without adding new tie rod ends too. I deal with it because I want the added performance on the track, but for a DD that races occasionally, stock springs and Konis is a much better option.
What size tire were you trying to run? I know a lot of people on Swifts and they have no rubbing issues in fact Swifts do not go that low.
I am on ST XTA coilovers and I am lower than Swifts with no rubbing issues right now. I am planning on different wheels with wider tires but thats the beauty of coilovers is I can adjust them to deal with possible rubbing.

I run 205/50-16 on course and 215/45-17 on the street. Both bottom out pretty badly without some trimming of the wheel liners. I’ve also got -2.5 degrees of camber up front which helps, but it still rubs the lip of the fender. I’ve got it adjusted so that I only get a scrape at full compression and that’s a liveable compromise for me.

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I run 205/50-16 on course and 215/45-17 on the street. Both bottom out pretty badly without some trimming of the wheel liners. I’ve also got -2.5 degrees of camber up front which helps, but it still rubs the lip of the fender. I’ve got it adjusted so that I only get a scrape at full compression and that’s a liveable compromise for me.
I'm running Swifts with Koni Yellows and do not have any issues, but I'm running 205/45/16. Is there a specific reason for running 50s?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
taller gearing i believe. you can wind out the motor longer
Seriously thats not enough of a reason to try and run sizes that are known not to fit. Its not enough change in gearing to wind the car out farther lol. If one wants to do that they should be looking at changing their final drive ratio.

Its a well known fact 215/45 17 will rub. As well as the 205/50 16 . Unless your running coilovers so you can adjust them. Though even stock 215/45 is considered too tall for the car.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
215 45-17 I have no clue why you would run that that's too big.
You say you have to change the tie rod ends why?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
215 45-17 I have no clue why you would run that that's too big.
You say you have to change the tie rod ends why?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk
Ya I was scratching my head about the tie rod ends as well. This is probably the first time I have ever heard mention of this.

I ran Konis and Stock springs for a while. It is a great setup and can do a lot. I am now on Swift springs with the Konis and honestly, I think its too low. I had a lot of rubbing issues that I had to sort, and you cant go to Swifts without adding new tie rod ends too. I deal with it because I want the added performance on the track, but for a DD that races occasionally, stock springs and Konis is a much better option.
Did you mean swaybar endlinks when you said tie rod ends?

The reason for running a 50-series comes down to wanting to run a specific tire for autocross, and the 50-series was MUCH cheaper than a smaller sidewall because I got a deal on them. What can I say, I need money for an exhaust!