Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock Dual mass flywheel, replaced with performance light weight flywheel

Just put in a fidanza flywheel a week ago, so far great. Very responsive getting into gear and downshifting. Much easier driving around the city and changing gear often.

However vice verse as well, responses a lot harsher to mistake like dropping the cultch to early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Old Mike Emerson

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #3
Just put in a fidanza flywheel a week ago, so far great. Very responsive getting into gear and downshifting. Much easier driving around the city and changing gear often.

However vice verse as well, responses a lot harsher to mistake like dropping the cultch to early.

Is it a single or DMF

green_henry

1000 Post Club
I installed a lightweight flywheel in my previous car, an Acura TSX

Pros:
  • quicker throttle response
  • seemed to accelerate faster (it certainly felt faster, but I don't know if it made a significant time difference)
Neutral:
  • revs hung between shifts (sometimes helpful, sometimes not)
Cons:
  • harsh in stop-and-go traffic
  • w/ stage 1 clutch upgrade, oem clutch cylinder couldn't handle it after 6 mos.
I ended up reverting to stock and wouldn't do it again unless the flywheel/clutch package had a stellar track record. ymmv.

Light weight single mass

OP
Old Mike Emerson

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Thread Starter #6
I had a Fidanza in my 98 Contour it worked great, but that was an N/A car. So I'm curious how one works with an turbo.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I had a Fidanza in a Mk4 Jetta years ago and loved it.. yea the clutch chatter was present but only really heard it when near another car or a wall or road barrier where the sound is reflected.

I'm up for a clutch soon and I'm still debating doing this on the FiST...mainly cuz very, very, very few people on here have done it so reviews on this platform are sparse.

That being said, the proper way is with a sprung center hub clutch disc. I'm leaning hard I favor of doing it, FWIW.

I had to replace my transmission and had a Pumaspeed lightweight flywheel I couldn't sell for I installed it. Feels like stock but the rev drops between shifts are a lot less.

Why was everyone a few years ago stating that the lightweight flywheels were a big no-no in this transmission? I understand they do not soak up the vibration/shock as well as a dual mass would. Anyone care to shed light on this?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Why was everyone a few years ago stating that the lightweight flywheels were a big no-no in this transmission? I understand they do not soak up the vibration/shock as well as a dual mass would. Anyone care to shed light on this?

Because people were pairing them with a stock unsprung clutch and then destroying the bearings in the transmission. These transmissions already have issues with the shaft bearings, LWFWs can exacerbate the issue due to more drivetrain shock. It is more reliable to go with the DMFW and an unsprung disc than it is to go with the SMFW and sprung disc.

Its just a gamble, it may not happen to everyone. But its a guarantee if you pair it with an unsprung clutch disc, the transmission WILL fail.

Because people were pairing them with a stock unsprung clutch and then destroying the bearings in the transmission. These transmissions already have issues with the shaft bearings, LWFWs can exacerbate the issue due to more drivetrain shock. It is more reliable to go with the DMFW and an unsprung disc than it is to go with the SMFW and sprung disc.

Its just a gamble, it may not happen to everyone. But its a guarantee if you pair it with an unsprung clutch disc, the transmission WILL fail.
I think the issue lies with the unsupported input shaft, not the bearings. Some of the 2014 cars had issues with bearings, but for the most part, the failures I read online seem to more often be a snapped input shaft, which unfortunately is much harder to fix.

Magnetic

I'm @75k miles and also thinking of going the SMFW route as well but dont think I can deal with any drivetrain jerks. I'm too old for that now LoL. Maybe in my 20's but nowadays I wouldn;t want my passengers asking me if the car is ok. Haha

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think the issue lies with the unsupported input shaft, not the bearings. Some of the 2014 cars had issues with bearings, but for the most part, the failures I read online seem to more often be a snapped input shaft, which unfortunately is much harder to fix.
We've snapped 3, and none of them had LWFWs hahaha.

Not the same thing, but some similarities. I had a '87 RX-7 turbo ii. The flywheel was very heavy, 28lbs. I had a RX-8 which had a 17lbs flywheel and a little lighter internal engine parts. Glossing over some details, the engine is pretty similar. The RX-8 had a much nicer feeling. No downsides all upsides.
I drove a Miata with a very light flywheel and hated it, particularly from takeoff, even shifting. Engine didn't feel super lively either, but I'm assuming there was some difference.

I suspect the FiST would benefit from a somewhat lighter flywheel, but I don't think you want a super lightweight flywheel.

Fusion Works

Tractor engine vs Doritos, Can't really compare. That said I just built a Mazdaspeed Miata with a twin disk and it rev'd great, Wasn't even miserable to drive around town.

Which pairings would you choose for a street/track FiST? Amy brands in mind?