Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock radiator is just awful.

jayrod1980

I will absolutely take the Mountune/CSF over the Mishimoto, no question whatsoever!

But I wish there was more discussion and comparisons of the pros/cons of the PRO ALLOY vs. the Mountune, as that is the only other radiator I would consider for this car. [wink]
Well, the pro alloy has that trick oil cooler option in tow, which would be why I’d consider it. I’m thinking of oil coolers now that my stock crash bar will support one. I wonder what’s out there other than mishimoto since they make so much junk.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Well, the pro alloy has that trick oil cooler option in tow, which would be why I’d consider it. I’m thinking of oil coolers now that my stock crash bar will support one. I wonder what’s out there other than mishimoto since they make so much junk.
Living where you do, or any place like that, I would opt for the oil cooler.

But, in a place where there is a real winter, with real winter temps, for a car that will not be open tracked, I am reluctant to install one.
Yes, even with the thermostat plate adapter, since it might do more harm than good on a year round, daily driven FiST in that climate.

I WANT my oil to get as hot as possible in the winter, and STAY hot!!

jayrod1980

Living where you do, or any place like that, I would opt for the oil cooler.

But, in a place where there is a real winter, with real winter temps, for a car that will not be open tracked, I am reluctant to install one.
Yes, even with the thermostat plate adapter, since it might do more harm than good on a year round, daily driven FiST in that climate.

I WANT my oil to get as hot as possible in the winter, and STAY hot!!
I totally get that. I never thought I’d need an oil cooler anyway after getting the Mountune radiator, since the water to oil cooler seemed to be able to shed heat fairly quickly once upgraded. However, I had a 1000-4500 ft extended climb on the way out to California from Nevada in 106F temps. I was averaging about 80mph and was in boost the majority of the time. My coolant temps stayed under 200F but oil got up to 229F. I don’t know how much reserve was left... does the light go on at 250F? I’ve never tracked the Fiesta, but it seemed like the oil cooler would be a good option. Maybe it’s really not needed. I’m more thinking ahead to the S280 upgrade. It’s telling though that I was hitting almost 27psi max on the trip and that even with all that heat and extended high speeds under load that I didn’t get any ignition correction at all. For the whole trip I averaged 31.5mpg!

Airtec has an oil cooler and I have the airtec with thermometer for sale (new in bag).

Yep, it took 5.5L which gives about 1.45G.

All in all it's not so hard to install. Just read the instructions carefully. I did not understand first that the locking system (tabs) of the Mountune rad for the shroud needs to be unbolted and I cursed a minute or two because the shroud would not clip in place!

OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #131
Update, was the hottest on record in Arizona the other day, about 118 out. I drove my car on the highway about 100miles, then there where a few accidents and it was a dead stand still a while then back to stop and go. Total time was about 2hrs of traffic, anyway my temps went to about 200-206 at the heavy dead stops on the highway, then back down to low 190s normal driving. I literally was not worried one bit about overheating, the factory radiator would have had me on the side of the highway easy.

jayrod1980

Update for me... so I was stuck in traffic climbing up a mountain (500-4000 ft) at 110 degrees on a 6 lane interstate and I managed to get coolant temps up to 222F once oil hit 243F (lots of traffic, high headwind, on boost almost the whole time). I averaged 200-205F with the Mountune and BA intercooler plus stock crash bar most of the drive going mostly uphill and 100-118F. I will have to say, with the BA up against the radiator it gets hotter than the DHM one does with the tubular crash bar. The DHM has a bigger gap between it and the radiator (mounts on straps welded to the tubular crashbar and doesn’t touch the radiator brace), and it is not quite as tall as the BA. The IC also got up to 12-15 degrees above ambient on our 5 hour drive but it did get up to 118 degrees.

I also managed to (I think) pop a hose going up another incline an hour and half from home! Was hairy driving with zero boost (-0.10psi to be exact). I’m letting the car cool down before climbing under it but hope that was just it. Everything on the trip was amazing and the car did awesome otherwise.

Still waiting on mine to show up. Mountune went out of stock before shipping that part of my order. Maybe next week.

It's actually not supposed to be as hot for the next couple weeks. Knowing my luck it'll show up and this heat wave will finally be done with us. Guess I'll be ready for next Summer regardless.

About 98-100 degrees out my temps are about 194-195 at idle with the A/C on. That’s with CPE intercooler. I noticed temps we’re slight lower before I put the intercooler on, prob cause it’s so thic it block some airflow lol. I’m going to put some foam to seal the shroud and see if the temps change. But can’t say it enough I’m very happy with the mountune radiator, easily the best $500 you can spend on this car.

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Even with 98 degrees outside with a/c mine never went to 217. Maybe 205-210 but not that high.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
Seems high to me, I've been above 100 and my coolant temps rarely go over 200*.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk