Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock radiator is just awful.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Well I just spent the last 45 minutes reading all these posts and now have questions. So I live in VA where it is in the 90's and I have a 2019. I don't have a AP yet so all I have to go off of is those squares in the center of the instrument cluster. It shows 3 squares and after a few minutes of driving it goes to 4 squares and just stays there. I have no idea if that is good or bad. My commute to work is open road for 20 minutes and then maybe 4 stop lights and I am at work so nothing like some of you guys are experiencing or have to deal with. So been waiting on the V3 IC from whoosh to get back in stock because I know our IC is crap but now wondering if I should get the RAD first and IC later down the road. My car has thermal exhaust, and crossover pipe with high flow filter and that is it. (did change my trans fluid to make sure I had 2L in it) but other then that stock. Plan to get a tune next year wanted to drive the car for 1 year (bought it new in Jan 2020) to make sure everything was good with the car before I walk away from the warranty. Getting a tune mean more power and more heat and don't want to screw the motor or head so before the stage 2 tune should the RAD be before the tune and before the intercooler?
Simple get the radiator its most important in the heat. You can actually run tunes with the stock intercooler. It will just heatsoak if you track it or do a lot of pulls. A bigger intercooler is ideal. IMHO a bigger radiator is practically a necessity in warmer climates.

I think he is extrapolating that out from the commonly held maxim that one should not talk about their wealth publicly. Which is somewhat true for the inter webs as well. Though talking about getting a credit card that gives you a discount on an item is far from disclosing ones financial position lol.
Honestly something that has been established for a long time. Management doesn’t want you talking with your coworkers to find out how much you could be getting paid, especially if you’re making less than they would normally pay someone in your position. There’s literally no downside to openly discussing your financial situation unless your sharing your account numbers, passwords/PINS, or obviously stupid stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Honestly something that has been established for a long time. Management doesn’t want you talking with your coworkers to find out how much you could be getting paid, especially if you’re making less than they would normally pay someone in your position. There’s literally no downside to openly discussing your financial situation unless your sharing your account numbers, passwords/PINS, or obviously stupid stuff like that.

Ah ya I said he was extrapolating a long held maxim ( truth) . That one should not talk about their wealth or financial wherewithal in Public or on the net. Which is true as well on the net. I also was not talking about pay per se because his comment was more directed towards ones financial situation in relation to the fact that they guy was mentioning he got a good deal because of a new card that gave him an extra amount off
Wealth and pay are two different things though they can be related.

Last edited:

Ford ST

2000 Post Club

I agree with you all day on this. Two thumbs up.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #165
I read that as he couldn’t really afford the radiator, so maybe you should pay some bills instead of order car parts? Even if it’s zero percent APR they are counting on you to keep using it and eventually go over the allotted time and slap you with a 23% apr all the sudden. The finance part of his radiator purchasing is irrelevant honestly. I lived the better part of my 20s in mega debt from these types of decisions early on in life, so don’t go down the rabbit hole. Not trying to be an asshole at all, just got me thinking of things i used to do myself and now regret. If you need a radiator then fine, if you HAVE to finance it then fine, but close the account after dude.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I read that as he couldn’t really afford the radiator, so maybe you should pay some bills instead of order car parts? Even if it’s zero percent APR they are counting on you to keep using it and eventually go over the allotted time and slap you with a 23% apr all the sudden. The finance part of his radiator purchasing is irrelevant honestly. I lived the better part of my 20s in mega debt from these types of decisions early on in life, so don’t go down the rabbit hole. Not trying to be an asshole at all, just got me thinking of things i used to do myself and now regret. If you need a radiator then fine, if you HAVE to finance it then fine, but close the account after dude.
Everyone makes mistakes, but honestly the rule of thumb to follow is if you can’t afford to finance don’t .

Though you do not know that about him and your comment alluded more to financial disclosure of ones wealth, in the way you worded it.
He did not say I am poor so I am financing it. lol. You assumed that by your statement above.
Like I said and agree with you can’t afford it do not buy it.

Also closing credit card accounts is not like closing loans.
You close a credit card account after using it and your score will get dinged hard. Like somewhere in the 50-60 points downwards category.

Being responsible with credit is the key. In this day and age its really hard to live without credit. It makes a lot of stuff happen. For instance when traveling, its pretty much a given need if you want to rent a car at the airport you must have credit card. Buy a new car good credit gets you further. Buy a House gotta have credit.

Just because someone choses to exercise a zero interest if paid by date does not automatically mean they cannot afford something either. Fact is I take advantage of those offers. As it means I can pay off something I could buy outright over time in smaller payments monthly. Thereby allowing me to use the cash I would have spent immediately to make investments.
In the end it works for me as I make more money with the money.

Last edited:
OP
DAW

DAW

Thread Starter #167
Everyone makes mistakes, but honestly the rule of thumb to follow is if you can’t afford to finance don’t .

Though you do not know that about him and your comment alluded more to financial disclosure of ones wealth, in the way you worded it.
He did not say I am poor so I am financing it. lol. You assumed that by your statement above.
Like I said and agree with you can’t afford it do not buy it.

Also closing credit card accounts is not like closing loans.
You close a credit card account after using it and your score will get dinged hard. Like somewhere in the 50-60 points downwards category.

Being responsible with credit is the key. In this day and age its really hard to live without credit. It makes a lot of stuff happen. For instance when traveling, its pretty much a given need if you want to rent a car at the airport you must have credit card. Buy a new car good credit gets you further. Buy a House gotta have credit.

Just because someone choses to exercise a zero interest if paid by date does not automatically mean they cannot afford something either. Fact is I take advantage of those offers. As it means I can pay off something I could buy outright over time in smaller payments monthly. Thereby allowing me to use the cash I would have spent immediately to make investments.
In the end it works for me as I make more money with the money.
I see your point, but if you have the cash to buy it outright, that’s the best way to go, unless you’re trying to build credit. The mentality that you can pay it over time and use the other funds for something else is nice and all, but all it take it’s one thing to happen and you STILL owe what you owe, but now don’t have the money to pay your payments. I’ve closed a few accounts over the years and my credit never dropped below 780, but the bills start piling up fast and all the sudden you’re up at night trying to figure out what day you pay for what in order to afford normal things. To me at this stage in my life(going on 40 soon)$445 isn’t much to even consider financing, or worth the hassle of a bill. The way I see it is you really don’t have the money to use in other avenues if you’re financing something that’s just a few hundred dollars, think about it. My rule to myself now is if I don’t have double what I’m spending on a luxury item as car parts or whatever, I don’t buy it. Trust me, when life kicks you in the ass, you’re gunna need cash, not a loan. .02

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I see your point, but if you have the cash to buy it outright, that’s the best way to go, unless you’re trying to build credit. The mentality that you can pay it over time and use the other funds for something else is nice and all, but all it take it’s one thing to happen and you STILL owe what you owe, but now don’t have the money to pay your payments. I’ve closed a few accounts over the years and my credit never dropped below 780, but the bills start piling up fast and all the sudden you’re up at night trying to figure out what day you pay for what in order to afford normal things. To me at this stage in my life(going on 40 soon)$445 isn’t much to even consider financing, or worth the hassle of a bill. The way I see it is you really don’t have the money to use in other avenues if you’re financing something that’s just a few hundred dollars, think about it. My rule to myself now is if I don’t have double what I’m spending on a luxury item as parts parts or whatever, I don’t buy it. Trust me, when life kicks you in the ass, you’re gunna need cash, not a loan. .02
Ahem not if you are earning enough to cover the payments and have savings. It really does not matter.
Also I never said the extra cash used for investments was the only cash. lol There you go assuming something based off your own feelings.

If one is in that position then you do not wind up up at night worrying about how your gonna pay the bills. lol
I should add a lot of the members here are not young and in pretty good shape financially.
We are not talking about people living paycheck to paycheck.
Again sound financial management is all one needs.

P.S. my 2018 was bought new could have been paid for outright. I decided to make a large down with small payments and payed it off within one year. I got a great deal on it so the $400 in interest I paid over the year was not enough to offset the $5400 in rebates and discounts I pulled.
Its all about working it smart.

Last edited:

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I read that as he couldn’t really afford the radiator, so maybe you should pay some bills instead of order car parts? Even if it’s zero percent APR they are counting on you to keep using it and ev)5ntually go over the allotted time and slap you with a 23% apr all the sudden. The finance part of his radiator purchasing is irrelevant honestly. I lived the better part of my 20s in mega debt from these types of decisions early on in life, so don’t go down the rabbit hole. Not trying to be an asshole at all, just got me thinking of things i used to do myself and now regret. If you need a radiator then fine, if you HAVE to finance it then fine, but close the account after dude.
Reality is different from what you "read". Some people do not want to spend assets providing a good annual yield when you can get 0% financing. We make almost all purchases over $500 on 0% cards and have for years. Building wealth is about using Other Peoples Money (OPM). Of course the Credit Card company makes out with the people that cannot pay it off, but if you can afford to pay it off you are smart to do it. Even paying interest is smarter if your assets are paying more than the finance charges which is why smart people do not pay cash for a new car even if you have the money, if you finance at 3% and do not spend the assets with a return on investment of 8% you are still making 5% on the money. ....Finance 101. As to closing the account after paying it off, open accounts with zero balance increases your credit score based on available credit to credit usage ratio. Closing a zero balance account will not improve a credit rating, it will probably lower it. Not a good move. Your comments are valuable for those not in that situation or are tempted to use the card after the 0% times out but smart usage of 0% cards are great if used properly especially if it also includes a discount on the purchase. Another example of smart usage is we were hit by a tornado this Spring with almost $20K in damages. We deposited the insurance payment into one of our investment accounts and opened 2 new 0% cards to pay the bills for damages while making a very good return on the $20K and have the cards auto paid from that account every month. Different strokes for different folks........

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It takes awhile, but my high performance, high compression motorcycle engine, begins to dirty up the cylinders if it runs too cold, too long. To help protect the engine at the expense of fuel and emissions, they run it a bit rich. It needs to get good and hot (mabye 205+) to start cleaning them up again. Unlike our cars, it is port-injection, cannot mechanically alter it's compression, and only runs on Premium. There is a lot of valve overlap. It also doesn't have an Oxygen sensor.

I wonder whether engineers *purposefully* made these car engines run on the hotter side, just to cleanup the cylinders? It rarely runs the fan without the A/C though I can see it runs on the hotter side if I monitor temps. There were a lot of complaints about dirty intake or/and exhaust valves in prior generation GTDI engines whereas with these, buildup has been trivial at best. Prior car being an economy car engine, port injection kept the intake valves clean, but running it far colder than designed, could see a lot of carbon build up on the piston heads.

Of course, there are other factors, such as the prevalence of improved full synthetic lubrication formulations, better valve seals, etcetera. Years ago, we also read a few stories about actual defective radiators that people were replacing.

Unless it's actually or nearly overheating, consider the possibility that maybe the engineers wanted to run these on the hotter side; and changing that may have unintended consequences, way down the road.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
Reality is different from what you "read". Some people do not want to spend assets providing a good annual yield when you can get 0% financing. We make almost all purchases over $500 on 0% cards and have for years. Building wealth is about using Other Peoples Money (OPM). Of course the Credit Card company makes out with the people that cannot pay it off, but if you can afford to pay it off you are smart to do it. Even paying interest is smarter if your assets are paying more than the finance charges which is why smart people do not pay cash for a new car even if you have the money, if you finance at 3% and do not spend the assets with a return on investment of 8% you are still making 5% on the money. ....Finance 101. As to closing the account after paying it off, open accounts with zero balance increases your credit score based on available credit to credit usage ratio. Closing a zero balance account will not improve a credit rating, it will probably lower it. Not a good move. Your comments are valuable for those not in that situation or are tempted to use the card after the 0% times out but smart usage of 0% cards are great if used properly especially if it also includes a discount on the purchase. Another example of smart usage is we were hit by a tornado this Spring with almost $20K in damages. We deposited the insurance payment into one of our investment accounts and opened 2 new 0% cards to pay the bills for damages while making a very good return on the $20K and have the cards auto paid from that account every month. Different strokes for different folks........
I think we are in the same camp. I could not agree more with your post.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Y'all are funny. I could have bought several of these cars when they were brand new with cash that's not including my retirement accounts. I finance stuff was 0% interest all the time because I like to sit on my money. You see I have something called discipline.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

haste

1000 Post Club
Just got my mountune radiator yesterday along with an accessport for my '17 fist. next purchase is intercooler and i'm stopping at that for now.

two of my coworkers have tested positive for covid, so I am getting tested today along with my wife and kid. i took the rest of the week off from work. should give me plenty of time to get the radiator installed this week!

Just got my mountune radiator yesterday along with an accessport for my '17 fist. next purchase is intercooler and i'm stopping at that for now.

two of my coworkers have tested positive for covid, so I am getting tested today along with my wife and kid. i took the rest of the week off from work. should give me plenty of time to get the radiator installed this week!
Let us know how the install goes and what extra parts are needed that didn't come in the box :)

Also I see one of you posted the fan doesn't come on unless the AC is running, once I get a tune with that change meaning with custom tunes from Dizzy, Strat, Tune+ etc. do they turn the fan on sooner ?