Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock Wheel Repair

Working on fixing these.

Sanded them down 80 220 400 800 1200 .

Filling holes with JB weld this weekend.
Any thoughts on color to match. Seems like ford hides wheel paint colors better than the govt secures our ss #s.
20200514_144358.jpg

Attachments

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
As long as all 4 match no one will know except you if they are not exact. I had mine done professionally and they seem darker than before to me. I should have just done them myself.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
mpressmi
Thread Starter #4
Trying to fix only 2 and keep them stockish. Worse to worse I will buy 2 new stock ones. Its a shame ford cant answer this.

There are multiple shades of "Rado Grey" throughout the years. No one will ever know. Maybe get a 5th wheel and paint it with the same paint in case you scuff one up.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
There's a Volvo silver that supposedly matches it pretty good. I ordered touch up paint from the UK on eBay. Not too bad, but far from perfect.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
There are multiple shades of "Rado Grey" throughout the years. No one will ever know. Maybe get a 5th wheel and paint it with the same paint in case you scuff one up.
Know what could be done that I just thought of..... Take a chip of the paint from the damaged wheel to a local paint store, and they can match it digitally.

In fact, I should have done that myself. When I dropped one of my wheels on my lug wrench, I had HUGE chips of paint that I could have used.

A lot of paint stores now have hand held color scanners. Need a match for somewhat faded paint, tell the guy at the desk and he'll walk out and scan whatever area of the car you need to match.

Ronal is the supplier of the O.E. wheel. They have always been mute about sharing paint codes. Ford stopped widespread listing for wheel color codes in the late eighties.

Use the search function for "Has anyone tried those eBay Rado gray wheel paints?" There are stock formulas that match quite. Well.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
A lot of paint stores now have hand held color scanners. Need a match for somewhat faded paint, tell the guy at the desk and he'll walk out and scan whatever area of the car you need to match.
BRILLIANT!

Know what could be done that I just thought of..... Take a chip of the paint from the damaged wheel to a local paint store, and they can match it digitally.

In fact, I should have done that myself. When I dropped one of my wheels on my lug wrench, I had HUGE chips of paint that I could have used.
I'm a noob when it comes to paint; when you paint wheels can you just go to sherwin williams and buy 'wheel paint'? Is there specific paint to use?
I've only ever seen rattle cans at the parts stores and know a good paint job should be done with a sprayer and compressor in a booth or as close as you can get to a booth but always wondered what type of paint is needed to hold up to the abuse of a wheel.

FiSTerMr

1000 Post Club
I'm a noob when it comes to paint; when you paint wheels can you just go to sherwin williams and buy 'wheel paint'? Is there specific paint to use?
I've only ever seen rattle cans at the parts stores and know a good paint job should be done with a sprayer and compressor in a booth or as close as you can get to a booth but always wondered what type of paint is needed to hold up to the abuse of a wheel.
I'm guessing they can make you up a small batch of color matching paint that's the same type of paint they use for touch up... I'm not sure what it is, lacquer maybe. Paint stores have all kinds of paints for which they can formulate something good for touch-ups.

There are also auto body supply stores that probably do it too. I remember some years ago I had to get my car painted and they took the color fuel door off the car to help match the paint.

And a bunch of auto body shops that makes their own paint also have the digital color matching equipment. If you go into one of those shops and talk to them, I bet for a few bucks they can make you up a small batch of touch up paint.

OP
mpressmi
Thread Starter #15
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to see if NAPA can match it. If it isnt 100 on the dot. I will sand down and get them sprayed professional. Was thinking of the scratch proof truck lining paint but idk. Hoping this works doing the bondo tomorrow if weather holds

OP
mpressmi
Thread Starter #16
Did the JB weld today and sanded came out ok. I am not taking the tires off rn. I will fix or replace when new tires are needed. Prime and paint left will try to get some pics. I will say if you only need to fix one rim just get it done by an alloy repair comp or better rn just get a new or refurbisbed rim. For 150 you are saving alot of work. If your like me and need to do 2 or more doing it yourself it alot cheaper.

Besides sand paper 80 220 400 800 1200, jb welb get painters tape and exacto knife and a small flat head screw driver like the ones for electronics. Your better off less JB weld than more. Also beer is helpful. This is a great project in the north east in sept going into winter its a pain in the summer when you could be driving.

Also an inch of prevention is worth a pound of cure. If you dont have rim guards on low profiles and live in ny get them. Q

It looked so good that I went ahead and resprayed my 15X7.5 Slipstreams that I couldn't get in a silver Finnish. I don't care for flat black wheels.

Attachments