Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Strange oil temps...

Was driving on the highway the other day and set the car to cruise at 70, the oil normally heats up to 190~195 and stays consistent no matter the outside temp, but for some reason it climbed to about 213 and stayed there until I let off the gas/turned cruise off, I thought this was weird and now that a couple days have passed cruising around town it sits low at about 174~180 and does the weird climb to about 213 on the highway. I'll be bringing it to a shop this week to find out. Anyone else had this problem?

me32

1000 Post Club
What was the temp of the coolant? What was the outside temp? What type of oil are you using? Where is the oil level on the dip stick? How many miles on the current oil and filter?

Was driving on the highway the other day and set the car to cruise at 70, the oil normally heats up to 190~195 and stays consistent no matter the outside temp, but for some reason it climbed to about 213 and stayed there until I let off the gas/turned cruise off, I thought this was weird and now that a couple days have passed cruising around town it sits low at about 174~180 and does the weird climb to about 213 on the highway. I'll be bringing it to a shop this week to find out. Anyone else had this problem?
Normal operation. The oil gets hotter at consistent/higher revs. At highway cruising speeds, it will generally run ~10-20 deg higher than the coolant temp. At slower intermittent speeds around town it will generally run ~10-20 deg cooler than coolant temp. Like I said, normal operation for any engine.