Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Strange Pops from the Exhaust?

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Hi. I was driving on I-95 tonight and had a bit of empty road, so I floored it in 6th and went from about 70 to 100 mph, and when I let off the gas I heard a lot of pops as I decelerated back to 75, but they seemed to be muffled, not like other cars I've been in. I've had my Mountune Catback exhaust for about two months now and had never heard that before. So I did it again and once again, I heard the pops. It was so surprising that I was convinced that it wasn't actually my car, but I looked around and didn't see any tuner cars around so I figured it must have been me. Then I started thinking maybe something in my trunk was moving from the vibrations, maybe it was the tires, or maybe a body piece came loose? I got off the highway, stopped at a light, turned around and got back on and tried it again, but I couldn't duplicate it. I tried the same thing, but no pops of any sort. I have no tune on the car either. Any ideas?

Last edited:

Spork1569

Hi. I was driving on I-95 tonight and had a bit of empty road, so I floored it in 6th and went from about 70 to 100 mph, and when I let off the gas I heard a lot of pops as I decelerated back to 75, but they seemed to be muffled, not like other cars I've been in. I've had my Mountune Catback exhaust for about two months now and had never heard that before. So I did it again and once again, I heard the pops. It was so surprising that I was convinced that it wasn't actually my car, but I looked around and didn't see any tuner cars around so I figured it must have been me. Then I started thinking maybe something in my trunk was moving from the vibrations? I got off the highway, stopped at a light, turned around and got back on and tried it again, but I couldn't duplicate it. I tried the same thing, but no pops of any sort. I have no tune on the car either. Any ideas?
It's definitely not unheard of to get some pops and crackles on a stock tune, especially with a cat back installed.

I get some here and there when I run my Stratified 91 tune even without the crackle option. The crackle option just makes it a lot more frequent.

OP
Hypergram

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
It's definitely not unheard of to get some pops and crackles on a stock tune, especially with a cat back installed.

I get some here and there when I run my Stratified 91 tune even without the crackle option. The crackle option just makes it a lot more frequent.
How strange... Wish I could replicate it though. It would be nice to do it on command and not just decelerating in 6th at 100mph lol.

cxwrench

Try downshifting at higher rpms, that usually works for me. If you downshift and land between 4k and 5k is when I feel they happen most
Happens like that for me as well, mostly freeway exits, from 5-4, 4-3 w/ a good blip of the throttle. Cobb stage 1 OTS, stock exhaust.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
My car will do a muffled/low level pop when first moving/starting out cold with the CP-E Nexus exhaust system, and the FACTORY tune, and no other intake/engine mods save for the GFB DV.
It will also do the low level crackle thing when backing off from mid to high revs in second and third gears.

I do occasionally get a louder pop when going WOT hard under load, in between quick shifts. [wink]

I am guessing ALL of the above is due to a 3" exhaust system. [dunno]