Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stressed. Need insight.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
We can agree to disagree and simply take the available information and make a decision. I can say I am happy with my fluid change and fill level, I feel more comfortable with it. Your car your choice do as you wish.

To give a example of a manufacturer making a mistake on proper fluid levels. Hyundai was having catastrophic engine failure they say it was from metal shavings that were not properly cleaned out of the crankshaft. Ayway they used software to read the knock sensor to detect if there was any unusual noises happening. If it failed new engine. If it passed you got a free oil change and they put in a shorter dipstick that increased your oil level capacity.
Realize this took catastrophic engine failure on a very large scale for this to happen.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We can agree to disagree and simply take the available information and make a decision. I can say I am happy with my fluid change and fill level, I feel more comfortable with it. Your car your choice do as you wish.

To give a example of a manufacturer making a mistake on proper fluid levels. Hyundai was having catastrophic engine failure they say it was from metal shavings that were not properly cleaned out of the crankshaft. Ayway they used software to read the knock sensor to detect if there was any unusual noises happening. If it failed new engine. If it passed you got a free oil change and they put in a shorter dipstick that increased your oil level capacity.
Realize this took catastrophic engine failure on a very large scale for this to happen.

And they issued a TSB for it.

I'm not saying that Ford doesn't make mistakes. I'm saying that this "Ford is underfilling the trans; low fluid level causing trans failure" isn't really true (for sure/yet).

What is true is: the fill spec isn't clear on how to measure fluid level which can lead to a discrepancy between the perceived volume of fluid needed & the volume of fluid specified in the manual. It appears that users who decided to fill beyond the volume spec to 2L are not experiencing any problems. It also appears that users who follow the manual have not experienced problems.

I'd like to have users make their trans fill decisions based on that and not what a few random people on the forums have come up with. There's enough forum conspiracies.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The situation boils down to some members chose a number listed many times to believe is incorrect and one that is obviously incorrect (1 inch is not 20mm) as correct. It also appears the difference between the two is an approximation of 1.67L for the 1 inch and 2L for the 20mm. Since 1.67L is confirmed by Ford and supported by Magna PT who makes the transmission I believed the 1.67L as most likely correct. But if you want to do 2L go for it, I doubt it will make an iota of difference either way and if it makes you feel better that is cool. This has been blown up to Ford underfilled the transmissions based on a typo and false claims of transmission damages. I can see why no TSB was issued, most people know 1 inch is NOT 20mm. My inquiry with Ford Engineering 2 years ago took about a week to get the information that they knew of no abnormal transmission failures and the fill was indeed 1.67L. I have now seen where the "20mm" came from and the obvious typo. The nice thing about Forums is it provides a place to see differing opinions and make your own decisions. I don't see a right/wrong here as I don't see the minor differences as significant. However, claiming transmission failures due to a "low" fill level is totally unsubstantiated. So 1.67L or 2L take your choice! [wrenchin] Wrench on!

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
20 mm is not 1 inch that is correct for sure.
I went with 1 inch down inside the transmission it took 2 liters to achieve it.
I checked the fluid before I drained it and I definitely couldn't hit without going farther in. Whatever makes you happy.
It would be great to see a repair manual from overseas as they use the metric system and see what their measurement specification is. I won't change your mind and you won't change mine either, and at the end of the day that's perfectly okay.

I'm going to try to stop arguing now over 11 oz of fluid.

Last edited:

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Re @SteveS comment, the 1.67L is likely the correct specification. In our Helm Service Manual, they made the choice to round to 1" instead of specifying 78740157/100000000 or 0.787". It's possible that the absence of the clickity-clackity noises when moving the shifter around, was merely a result of the different fluid, as opposed to the level. Forum exchange is good! ... when we "listen" to one another. (that said, I'll still be filling to ~2.1L LoL...)

CSM

1000 Post Club
Definitely take it into Ford. They typically dont rebuild trans but usually swap out with a new unit when something happens. When these cars first came out they would swap in a new trans even just for something as small as input shaft bearing

OP
MocaST
Thread Starter #47
Definitely take it into Ford. They typically dont rebuild trans but usually swap out with a new unit when something happens. When these cars first came out they would swap in a new trans even just for something as small as input shaft bearing
Thanks man I appreciate it. I believe that's what the problem is (input shaft bearing). Will I need to uninstall my whoosh RMM and put on the OEM unit before taking it in for warranty work?

CSM

1000 Post Club
Thanks man I appreciate it. I believe that's what the problem is (input shaft bearing). Will I need to uninstall my whoosh RMM and put on the OEM unit before taking it in for warranty work?
Yes I would personally. Its an easy swap and could save some back and forth arguing headaches.

keep us posted. Early builds had issues w/ input shaft bearings. Wouldn't surprise me if the trans Ford swapped into the car has the same issue.

OP
MocaST
Thread Starter #49
Yes I would personally. Its an easy swap and could save some back and forth arguing headaches.

keep us posted. Early builds had issues w/ input shaft bearings. Wouldn't surprise me if the trans Ford swapped into the car has the same issue.
Okay will do. Yeah I had no issues installing the part. Very straight forward. Yeah exactly, the car is a 2017 so there is no telling what year the transmission was produced that was installed at a mere 11,000 miles. Will keep you updated.
Another question for you, will ford provide me with a loaner vehicle while the fist is down and out?

CSM

1000 Post Club
Okay will do. Yeah I had no issues installing the part. Very straight forward. Yeah exactly, the car is a 2017 so there is no telling what year the transmission was produced that was installed at a mere 11,000 miles. Will keep you updated.
Another question for you, will ford provide me with a loaner vehicle while the fist is down and out?
Its up to the Dealer, not Ford (unless its a TSB or recall, then ford prescribes terms of loaner vehicles).

Are you in Raleigh? I bought my car at Crossroads Ford and the Cary location will set you up if you need a loaner.

OP
MocaST
Thread Starter #51
Its up to the Dealer, not Ford (unless its a TSB or recall, then ford prescribes terms of loaner vehicles).

Are you in Raleigh? I bought my car at Crossroads Ford and the Cary location will set you up if you need a loaner.
Oh okay I see. My wife is 8 months pregnant with baby # 3 which will be here in a month so I'll need a car and I don't want to take my wife's Fit.

No I'm in Bryson City. A little more than an hour west of Asheville. You happen to know of any reputable dealerships out my way to take it to?

CSM

1000 Post Club
Oh okay I see. My wife is 8 months pregnant with baby # 3 which will be here in a month so I'll need a car and I don't want to take my wife's Fit.

No I'm in Bryson City. A little more than an hour west of Asheville. You happen to know of any reputable dealerships out my way to take it to?
You on FB? Look for "fst carolina (focus st / fiesta st / focus rs)" and someone there should be able to recommend a good dealer in your area

OP
MocaST
Thread Starter #53
You on FB? Look for "fst carolina (focus st / fiesta st / focus rs)" and someone there should be able to recommend a good dealer in your area
No unfortunately this is my only form of social media here with you guys. I try to stay away from social medias when I can.

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I'm not on SM either. But recently I have started to frequent NextDoor.Com. Basically it's a place for just you and your neighbors.
I occasionally get tempted to get on SM, but I have strong political opinions.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Hey all.. new here. Going through all the same issues as, what looks like most of you guys have already. ’17 FiST purchased last week. Engine light came on (p1540) two days ago (insight?), blend actuator was broke but I knew that going in (but have dealer fix it or diy?), but most concerning is the shifting noises (“clunky”) getting worse over time.. Glad to know there are others lol. And if there’s insight as to what’s been done or said by the dealers regarding this (warranty?) or just help getting to the correct threads where these things may have been resolved or covered would help.. I have scheduled to have it taken in and looked at. But I really need to avoid diagnostic charges if the aforementioned items aren’t gonna be covered by warranties. insight/direction would be apreeshed!

CSM

1000 Post Club
Hey all.. new here. Going through all the same issues as, what looks like most of you guys have already. ’17 FiST purchased last week. Engine light came on (p1540) two days ago (insight?), blend actuator was broke but I knew that going in (but have dealer fix it or diy?), but most concerning is the shifting noises (“clunky”) getting worse over time.. Glad to know there are others lol. And if there’s insight as to what’s been done or said by the dealers regarding this (warranty?) or just help getting to the correct threads where these things may have been resolved or covered would help.. I have scheduled to have it taken in and looked at. But I really need to avoid diagnostic charges if the aforementioned items aren’t gonna be covered by warranties. insight/direction would be apreeshed!
If its general clunkiness in between shifts, thats just how this trans is. Its a bit on the noisy side and sometimes gets louder as it warms up. I believe its the dual mass flywheel that causes that.

Mine has been clunky from day 1. I'm now at 83k and 20K+ of that has been with the new turbo. Trans hasnt failed yet