Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stressed. Need insight.

OP
MocaST
Thread Starter #81
They ALL break! The Honda dealerships service department is just as full of broken cars as the Ford dealer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yeah anything mechanical is always going to eventually fail but I do see where he is coming from. I had 16 Hondas myself and I've ran the mileage way up even in one case 300k miles she ran strong and all I had to do was keep the oil changed & monitor fluids. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Ford's or fists. I love my fist and I'm just disappointed in the surprise headaches thus far. I blame the previous owner though, not the car.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Hondas and Toyotas of the nineties that reliability that they had it's not there anymore.
I spent 6 semesters in a automotive repair program. We fixed everything all cars have issues just different ones. Toyotas had oil leaks that were insane. Hondas had shifting problems and suspension problems. Nissan's with the 2.5 would eat the catalytic converters and it would eventually destroy the engine from eating pieces of it.

Point I'm trying to make the problems you are experiencing are probably from the previous owner this is not a normal thing.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I would suggest that you get the oil analyzed BEFORE talking to your dealer about possible major engine damage conditions. It's been my experience that knowing as much as possible before going to a dealer about potential engine or transmission replacements allows you to present facts instead of guesses. I also suspect that a previous owner of your car probably had it highly modified and probably raced it.

Thus the suggestion for an extended warranty is a good one. I would suggest either getting an extended warranty or trading your Fiesta ST for another. Because if you really did see copper flakes in your oil I foresee the need for an engine replacement sometime soon. BTW, back in the 70's and 80's when I was hands on building engines the main bearings did have a layered construction with copper constituting one layer. Not sure if engines today still use that style of bearing construction but if they do copper in your oil is an indication that your main bearings, and the crank journals, are shot.

BTW, back when the SBC was king the typical response to worn out main bearing was to pull the engine, tear it down, check the crank for damage, and slip in a new set of bearings for the rods and crank if the crank journals looked good. That is about 2 1/2 hours on the engine assembly and with the help of a buddy about 4-6 hours for the removal and install of the engine. Basically you could start at 8:00 AM and be kicking back at 4:30 popping the top on a beer. One plus for those antiques is that they were easy to work on, something that cannot be said for our cars today. Heck, was a time when I could pull the engine out of a VW Beetle in under 30 minutes.

Now we have engines and transmissions that take many many hours to remove and they also are hugely complicated to break down. Upside is the HP/CUI is a lot higher but the downside is that servicing these beast is a lot more complicated.

OP
MocaST
Thread Starter #84
Hondas and Toyotas of the nineties that reliability that they had it's not there anymore.
I spent 6 semesters in a automotive repair program. We fixed everything all cars have issues just different ones. Toyotas had oil leaks that were insane. Hondas had shifting problems and suspension problems. Nissan's with the 2.5 would eat the catalytic converters and it would eventually destroy the engine from eating pieces of it.

Point I'm trying to make the problems you are experiencing are probably from the previous owner this is not a normal thing.

I totally agree. I'm not having on the fist or Ford's in general. I absolutely blame the previous owner. I found his current number and he won't even answer the phone or call me back. Yeah Hondas took a nose dive from 2001 and up. I owned an 05 rsx type s and had great luck with it and my wife's '16 fit had been great so far. Knock on wood😄

OP
MocaST
Thread Starter #85
I would suggest that you get the oil analyzed BEFORE talking to your dealer about possible major engine damage conditions. It's been my experience that knowing as much as possible before going to a dealer about potential engine or transmission replacements allows you to present facts instead of guesses. I also suspect that a previous owner of your car probably had it highly modified and probably raced it.

Thus the suggestion for an extended warranty is a good one. I would suggest either getting an extended warranty or trading your Fiesta ST for another. Because if you really did see copper flakes in your oil I foresee the need for an engine replacement sometime soon. BTW, back in the 70's and 80's when I was hands on building engines the main bearings did have a layered construction with copper constituting one layer. Not sure if engines today still use that style of bearing construction but if they do copper in your oil is an indication that your main bearings, and the crank journals, are shot.

BTW, back when the SBC was king the typical response to worn out main bearing was to pull the engine, tear it down, check the crank for damage, and slip in a new set of bearings for the rods and crank if the crank journals looked good. That is about 2 1/2 hours on the engine assembly and with the help of a buddy about 4-6 hours for the removal and install of the engine. Basically you could start at 8:00 AM and be kicking back at 4:30 popping the top on a beer. One plus for those antiques is that they were easy to work on, something that cannot be said for our cars today. Heck, was a time when I could pull the engine out of a VW Beetle in under 30 minutes.

Now we have engines and transmissions that take many many hours to remove and they also are hugely complicated to break down. Upside is the HP/CUI is a lot higher but the downside is that servicing these beast is a lot more complicated.
Wow great information! thanks! Well I'm pretty sure the input shaft bearing is shot in the trans. From what I've read and seen in videos I'm almost positive of it. Very true about pulling the crank and checking it and bearings but wouldn't it be best to have it warrantied? To avoid having to spend the extra money and time when it's still under factory warranty? I really am leaning towards trading it in for a different one, maybe even going ahead and trying to get one of the remaining 2019s. If trading is the best route for me would it be best to get the trans worked out and then trading it? The engine runs strong and doesnt smoke which amazes me with the amount of copper flakes in the oil.

HardBoiledEgg

1000 Post Club
Hey guys can you spoon feed me anymore?

I'm annoyed with you cause this thread is what's wrong with the car community. Nobody does anything on their own or without anyone else thoughts. Figure it out dude.

Really? Should you not address an issue with the car while it's going to the dealer? Nah. Take it back once the first repair is done. Come on

jeff

2000 Post Club
Hey guys can you spoon feed me anymore?

I'm annoyed with you cause this thread is what's wrong with the car community. Nobody does anything on their own or without anyone else thoughts. Figure it out dude.

Really? Should you not address an issue with the car while it's going to the dealer? Nah. Take it back once the first repair is done. Come on
We all had to start somewhere. I’m sure there are lots of things you’re good at that he’s not, and vice versa.

Have some class bro.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
We all have different knowledge bases. I have been working on vehicles since I was 14. I had no choice if I wanted to drive I had to fix it. I went to school for it it's natural to me.
I can garden, I can cook, I can do most home repair, but I can't draw a straight line with a ruler if my life depended on it.
Being friendly and trying to help other people is a positive thing.

The whole purpose of this site is to share knowledge.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
:LOL: LoL @HardBoiledEgg somebody piss in your Cheerios this morning? Not meant to be an insult... we all have moments sometimes when we're a little short with people.

I don't know whether or not that's the case here, but sometimes people are just looking to share their experience/frustrations... ya know, "vent". But why just complain... may as well solicit for some potentially useful feedback while at it. ;)