Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stripped Upper Rear Strut Mount Bolt, Suggestions?

Erick_V

Decided to mess around with my rear suspension and in typical fashion nothing goes my way lol. So it looks like at some point I stripped one of the bolt that holds upper rear strut mount to the car. I have a welder and tools so I can fix the problem myself but was wondering if anyone has a better idea before I head into this. I was thinking of tracing the area around the mount, removing the 4 spot welds on the small piece that has the 2 bolts attached, cutting the messed up bolt off, welding a new one on and then welding the mount back in place via the spot weld holes. I'm all ears if someone has a better plan of attack. Here's some pics of what I'm working with:

image2 (1).jpeg image0 (1).jpeg image1 (2).jpeg

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
You could use a Bolt extender...on the Shock stud to move the threads up through the hole then use a nut with orange Threadlocker. You just have to figure out the Shock thread size.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
E

Erick_V

Thread Starter #6
I think I see how that would work. Would require a longer bolt then, right?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I thought the Bolts for the mount were Built in to it. If not then yes I'd just use a longer bolt to secure the mount with Nylok nut and possibly Orange thread locker.

OP
E

Erick_V

Thread Starter #8
Gotcha. I'm going to eat some lunch then try the tap and die first. if that doesn't work I'll see if I can locally find or amazon prime a bolt extender

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Gotcha. I'm going to eat some lunch then try the tap and die first. if that doesn't work I'll see if I can locally find or amazon prime a bolt extender
Hardware stores usually have them...its where I have got them before! Good luck ...keep us up to date on the DIY info.

Last edited:
OP
E

Erick_V

Thread Starter #10
Used the Tap and Die kit on the bolt and the nut attached to the chassis. The bolt is clean of all debris and looks brand new. However I feel like the nut may have had too much material taken out after running the tap through it. The bolt feels a little more loose in one side vs the other. Not a huge difference but it can be felt

OP
E

Erick_V

Thread Starter #11
Everything reinstalled. I worried the bolt was going to pull the threads when I was tightening it but it seems to be holding fine. If it pulls through Iā€™ll probably end up drilling the spot welds and welding another nut onto the plate. But luckily no drilling or welding had to happen today. Was fully expecting it to come to that.

On a positive note with everything installed I was able to test fit my dekagrams for the first time. Tires get here in 2-ish weeks

image.jpg

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
Everything reinstalled. I worried the bolt was going to pull the threads when I was tightening it but it seems to be holding fine. If it pulls through Iā€™ll probably end up drilling the spot welds and welding another nut onto the plate. But luckily no drilling or welding had to happen today. Was fully expecting it to come to that.

On a positive note with everything installed I was able to test fit my dekagrams for the first time. Tires get here in 2-ish weeks

View attachment 26469
This is one freakishly clean and well lit garage, sir.

OP
E

Erick_V

Thread Starter #14
This is one freakishly clean and well lit garage, sir.
I will second that. Fact is that it's so clean I wonder if his Man Card shouldn't be revoked. What ever happened to the romance of lying on your back starting up at an oil pan and getting the back of your head soaked with an accumulation of grease and oil dropping off of generations of cars.

maestromaestro

1000 Post Club
I will second that. Fact is that it's so clean I wonder if his Man Card shouldn't be revoked. What ever happened to the romance of lying on your back starting up at an oil pan and getting the back of your head soaked with an accumulation of grease and oil dropping off of generations of cars.
Ahhh. The good times.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think your Brain should be revoked for patronizing a meticulous individual who has a knack for being clean and keeping stuff clean. I salute this nice clean man cave.....I'll put money on it he doesn't have issues locating his tools either amongst the Hording of shit others have in their garages.

CAR3Y4

Used the Tap and Die kit on the bolt and the nut attached to the chassis. The bolt is clean of all debris and looks brand new. However I feel like the nut may have had too much material taken out after running the tap through it. The bolt feels a little more loose in one side vs the other. Not a huge difference but it can be felt
I'm currently having the same issue. Back passenger side. The hole closest to the front. What size tap did you use to fix it?