Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stumbles when I fill up.

Anyone have their evap solenoid changed under warranty? Ford wants me to do an expensive fuel system clean first. With the price being about $20 I'm tempted to just buy it. Isn't this what a warranty is for however?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Anyone have their evap solenoid changed under warranty? Ford wants me to do an expensive fuel system clean first. With the price being about $20 I'm tempted to just buy it. Isn't this what a warranty is for however?
I'd tell them sure...you can do a fuel cleaning....but I'm not paying for it. If they balk...then just say your the dealer....figure it out.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

zanethan

That's absurd. They can't mandate you buy a service before they will fix a warranty issue. That's borderline extortion.

There's a lot of information missing here. How prevalent is the issue? I feel like the stumbles/rough idle after fill up is a common occurrence on our cars. Unless it is really severe or frequent, I'm not sure there's anything to be done. Cleaning out the whole fuel system seems excessive. How many miles are on your car?

My previous Fist was a 2014, and it would stumble sometimes after fill up. I had the vapor purge valve replaced and that seemed to fix the issue.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
There's a lot of information missing here. How prevalent is the issue? I feel like the stumbles/rough idle after fill up is a common occurrence on our cars. Unless it is really severe or frequent, I'm not sure there's anything to be done. Cleaning out the whole fuel system seems excessive. How many miles are on your car?
I have a late '16 build, with 11K miles on it now, and I have yet to experience this phenomenon even ONCE.

I do NOT EVER go past the first click/shut off of the fuel pump handle when re-fueling though. ;)

OP
D
Thread Starter #7
Well 2017 Fiesta ST little under 30,000 miles. I've owned it for about 4 months and 4,000 miles. It does this about 3 out of every 4 times I've filled up. Almost stalls at the first few stops away from the gas station. I asked if they would replace my evap valve and explained the symptoms I was told to do a fuel system clean. Was over $100 if I'm remembering correctly. $17 part out of pocket or $100 to possibly have it fixed after the fuel system clean doesn't fix the issue. Factory tune and only run 93 normally Shell.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Well 2017 Fiesta ST little under 30,000 miles. I've owned it for about 4 months and 4,000 miles. It does this about 3 out of every 4 times I've filled up. Almost stalls at the first few stops away from the gas station. I asked if they would replace my evap valve and explained the symptoms I was told to do a fuel system clean. Was over $100 if I'm remembering correctly. $17 part out of pocket or $100 to possibly have it fixed after the fuel system clean doesn't fix the issue. Factory tune and only run 93 normally Shell.
I would ask that dealer service manager to explain to me HOW a fuel system service (that they require YOU pay for [mad]) is going to solve a problem that ONLY shows up when you fill up the tank! [???:)]

Then I would contact Ford NATIONAL Customer Service. ;)

Yeah, that's not normal. Is there another dealer in your area you can try?

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

LILIKE16ST

I dealt with this on mine for a long time...after I replaced my evap lines with the 2015 style to be able to run my cpe intake without any issues or codes it happened to fix that issue as well and has not done it since so I killed two birds with one stone lol. my intake has been on for a good while...probably 7500 miles or more and no check engine light ever and everything still works as intended and it also fixed this stuttering after fueling issue I had.

OP
D
Thread Starter #12
I have started to take an idle video after each fill up. I'm going to try to also get the mileage in each video from here out to prove it happens every fill up.

OP
D
Thread Starter #13
I have video of my last three full ups. Too different has stations, still stumbling away.

Jerickson88

I have a late '16 build, with 11K miles on it now, and I have yet to experience this phenomenon even ONCE.

I do NOT EVER go past the first click/shut off of the fuel pump handle when re-fueling though. ;)
I did it once... not again!!

I have had it stumble and shut off while re fueling while running. I know it’s a no no and when I state the reason why I did it could also be a no no. Baby boy gets hot while I’m pumping gas. If anyone has suggestions on what to do with a 6 month old while I’m pumping gas let me know!!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account

I have had it stumble and shut off while re fueling while running. I know it’s a no no and when I state the reason why I did it could also be a no no. Baby boy gets hot while I’m pumping gas. If anyone has suggestions on what to do with a 6 month old while I’m pumping gas let me know!!
Uh...tell him you cant always get what you want....but if you try sometime you find you get what you need.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club

You could turn the ignition back ON but without the engine running, and it will run the AC blower. It will blow slightly cool for about a minute until the evaporator has warmed back up to ambient, but that might buy you some time. Or let your kid deal with it. He'll survive. ;)

Mikey456

I have the same problem with the stalling/stumbling idle after filling up. I have 6k on my ‘17. Somebody on the forum told me to leave the gas filler in for 30 seconds after fueling then pull out. Now it gives me a little rough idle after fueling but doesn’t stall (which is concerning). Might take it to the dealer before warranty is out. Not sure if I will put up with the hassles I’m hearing from others.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You could turn the ignition back ON but without the engine running, and it will run the AC blower. It will blow slightly cool for about a minute until the evaporator has warmed back up to ambient, but that might buy you some time. Or let your kid deal with it. He'll survive. ;)
...or, just get the car GOOD AND FREEZING before pulling into the station, and opening the door. ;)