Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stupid

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Yet in that "fact checking" article it says the picture is actually a picture of a diesel powered EV charging station in Australia.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I really wish someone could explain the EV-hate to me.
I hope not to purchase another vehicle for at least 5 years I would like a break from car payments. Anyway when the time comes a electric vehicle will definitely be high on the list.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
Yet in that "fact checking" article it says the picture is actually a picture of a diesel powered EV charging station in Australia.
It also says it was part of a temporary experiment to compare diesel usage in a diesel vehicle vs diesel charging an EV. It's not a permanent thing.

I really wish someone could explain the EV-hate to me.
Right? like har har har, let's make fun of the people with electric cars and not the ones powering charging stations with diesel generators. Even if this were accurate, it speaks more to the inefficiencies of generators than anything else

I know it's just a meme but some folks really take memes seriously, so to be a total party pooper, to not rely on the article, and to fulfill my own curiosity:

• That looks much smaller than a 350kW generator which I believe would be overkill for anything but for 2xTesla superchargers. But let's assume it is 350kW anyways, and let's assume a Tesla super charger and a tesla because that's what a 350kW generator would be sized for

• -Fuel consumption: From Generac their 350 kW diesel generator fuel consumption : 1637157345001.png
    From Tesla, their 85kWh battery charges in 38m from 0% which means over 38m it'd approx pull 134kW to charge (38m/60m/1hr=0.63hr, 85kWh/.63hrs=134kW), which means about 38% of load. So 12 gph seems about right. 12gph over 38m is 7.6 gallons. Tesla range for the large battery is 405mi about which about 52mpg from a shitty diesel generator. Though it likely it would be a bit less due to any losses that occur in the charger or the car's charging system. Still pretty good, gets much better than fuel economy than a toyota corolla and has a sub 3 second 0-60?
And I would say yes, it is hate. It's a lot of hate. "fairy dust and unicorn horns" is hating on EVs. EVs are certainly not without faults and shortcomings but the truth is they're a much better alternative than what we have now for the planet and for most people.

Engineering Explained has a great video on it.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RhtiPefVzM

dhminer

2000 Post Club
My hate for EVs is completely arbitrary and without scientific basis, but I hate them nonetheless. They feel soulless to me - like a kitchen appliance that just simply exists. The Taycan Turbo S (which is a stupid ass name given that there's no turbo) is the only exception but even still if I was spending 200k on a 4 door Porsche the Panamera Turbo S would be the choice without the slightest amount of hesitation.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's not hate. It's just refuting the puff-up that the EV zionists give about all the fairy dust and unicorn horns the EV will provide the world.
I have heard my fair share of Tesla-fanboys going on about their crappy cars with good motors and lots of batteries, but I haven't seen near as much ICE shaming as attacks on folks that are giving a new tech a try. I mean, there aren't tons of videos on YT with EVs dive bombing people in diesel trucks but there are the reverse.

Last edited:

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My hate for EVs is completely arbitrary and without scientific basis, but I hate them nonetheless. They feel soulless to me - like a kitchen appliance that just simply exists. The Taycan Turbo S (which is a stupid ass name given that there's no turbo) is the only exception but even still if I was spending 200k on a 4 door Porsche the Panamera Turbo S would be the choice without the slightest amount of hesitation.
Then don't buy one. You're absolutely right, my Leaf is a a lot like a nice refrigerator or washing machine; it gets me to work better than my beloved FiST does and for that, I like it enough that I've ordered a Mach-E to replace my wife's Ridgeline.

That said, there are lots of car folks that believe, strongly, that the Taycan is a better car than the Panamera. Have you driven either? I drove a Model 3 Performance - it was soulless, but more due to the Tesla-factor than the potential of the car. The Mach-E did not feel soulless to me; it felt modern.

Magnetic

Here's another snippet.

The FiST is still more efficient LoL

The experiment found that when charged this way, a BMW i3 was the most fuel-efficient of the electric cars, consuming 4.39 liters of fuel for every 100 kilometers of range added, equivalent to about 54 mpg. One Tesla model consumed around 7 liters of diesel fuel per 100 km of range, equivalent to about 34 mpg.

Edwardsā€™ experiment found that, in most instances, using the generator to charge a car consumed less fuel than a similarly sized diesel car would to travel the same distance. A diesel-fueled VW Touareg SUV, for example, used 7.2 liters of fuel per 100 km.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
The thing is an EV would be great for around town commute, I'm not sold on the cross country drive. I've seen to many stories of people trying to do cross country in a Tesla having to drive way off course to find a charging station increasing travel time by a day in one case. Also our electric grid is not going to handle millions of EV's, not unless the government spends billions in upgrades. The last thought is if the shit hits the fan, like a lot of people think is going to happen, the grid will probably go down, I can scrounge fuel, you can't scrounge electrons.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The thing is an EV would be great for around town commute, I'm not sold on the cross country drive. I've seen to many stories of people trying to do cross country in a Tesla having to drive way off course to find a charging station increasing travel time by a day in one case. Also our electric grid is not going to handle millions of EV's, not unless the government spends billions in upgrades. The last thought is if the shit hits the fan, like a lot of people think is going to happen, the grid will probably go down, I can scrounge fuel, you can't scrounge electrons.
The newly signed infrastructure bill carves out $11B for various improvements to the grid. But, further, nobody envisions a future where many people are driving around in EVs charge whenever they want; there will have to be usage metering as well as V2H and V2G (Vehicle to Home and Vehicle to Grid). That fancy high-speed-charging electricity that you buy at the side of the road - that shit is $.41/kWh. I buy the cheap stuff at home at $.09/kWh. Soon, we'll be V2H-ing to offset increases in energy costs during peak usage and charging when energy is cheaper; the Tesla PowerWall already does that. That is a net-improvement to grid health.

If the shit does hit the fan fuel is going to dry up in a week. I scrounge 50kWh of angry electrons from my roof on a sunny day. I'm up shit-creek if the grid goes down b/c I don't have any local storage, but my 2024 F-150 is gonna fix that. Moreover, if just a little shit hit the fan, I can drive my F-150 (or some other fancy EV) someplace where I can charge it and, then, bring the juice home and power up my TV, refrigerator, and HVAC and watch the world burn in comfort with a nice cold beer. Or, if a whole bunch of shit hit the fan, I'll charge my EV during the day when my roof is making more electricity than I can use and burn it up at night to power flood lights to help me and my poodle spot the gangs of armed fuel and Dorito bandits.

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Solar panels, turbines, battery storage.... efficiencies vary but the wind/sun aren't going anywhere.
Like everything else, how many people have solar panels, HOA will not approve it where I live, and I have not seen anyone with solar anywhere near me, never seen a wind turbine in my area either. a few back up generators here and there.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Like everything else, how many people have solar panels, HOA will not approve it where I live, and I have not seen anyone with solar anywhere near me, never seen a wind turbine in my area either. a few back up generators here and there.
I think that ours is the only house with solar for miles. California won't allow a new house to be built w/o solar. We are in the midst of change.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Personally, I don't hate EV's - I just don't like them. They're not that fun or engaging to drive. I've driven several Teslas and the new ford fakestang and tried to like it but... it's just not for me, too many concessions and too uninteresting to drive. That torque is nice, but I bought a FiST because my other cars were too big and heavy and I wanted something small and nimble that I could fit in.