Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DHM’s Build

ronmcdon

really nice looking manifold. is that from airtec?

also have the same turbo sitting around but not going to install it anytime soon because I'm broke and trying to sort out suspension first. good to see what people are getting out of this setup and hope you post more.

ronmcdon

Now, after seeing that installed, I am a bit undecided about whether to get the TB trunk brace, or for about twice the price, get the sweet, very lightweight, SWAVE/Summit one.

This one is install and pretty much forget it in the black powder coat, whereas my maniacal OCD will force me to be polishing the SWAVE shiny aluminum one incessantly/constantly. LOL
I struggle with that question as well. As nice as the SWAVE parts are, it would be well over 2 grand to get everything. I'm just mixing and matching with Pierce upper strut, TB 4pt traction. Very intrigued to get SWAVE 6pt tunnel. Really happy with Swave endlinks construction and quality although they are very cheesy looking

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
As nice as the SWAVE parts are, it would be well over 2 grand to get everything. I'm just mixing and matching with Pierce upper strut, TB 4pt traction. Very intrigued to get SWAVE 6pt tunnel. Really happy with Swave endlinks construction and quality although they are very cheesy looking
I have that 'problem' solved for me by my skid plate, since I cannot use ANY of the forward of the mid exhaust tunnel braces, due to them ALL blocking the skid plate's rear mounting points, no matter how 'low profile' they may be otherwise. [wink] LOL

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
really nice looking manifold. is that from airtec?

also have the same turbo sitting around but not going to install it anytime soon because I'm broke and trying to sort out suspension first. good to see what people are getting out of this setup and hope you post more.
It is the airtec manifold. I’ll certainly keep this thread updated as things progress.

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #25
Changed the trans fluid and oil this morning and she's dropped off at Slate Performance Automotive in Indy.

Did a stupid thing and put the wrong AP Serial # on my tuning form so gotta get a revision before I can flash it. :poop:

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
Well I wish I would've paid more attention reading Slopoke's post when he installed the 2860R kit from ATP.

"On the subject of ATP, I was there yesterday to get some vacuum hose and I informed them of the biggest gripes of their kits and recommended that they provide the 3" to 2.75" insert, one 3" silicone coupler and one 3" beaded aluminum coupler with their kits. They thanked me for the feedback and said they'll look into it. Hopefully they add those things, because everyone that's installed one had to either get a elbow with long legs or add a coupler to the compressor outlet to connect it to the crossover pipe."

Shop called this morning as they're buttoning things up saying that the crossover doesn't meet the turbo inlet. They had some 2.75" stainless that's not beaded. Sliced the silicone, stuck a bit of stainless piping in, and clamped it to bridge the gap. Probably OK not being beaded since it's not under boost, but will disassemble it when I get the car back and figure out what to get to make it fit perfectly.

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #28
Interesting adventure here. Put the pedal down and only got 13 lbs of boost and CEL thrown for boost solenoid high. Turns out the shop didn’t put back the boost control solenoid back in and routed the wastegate right to the boost reference adapter on the map sensor with the blow off valve.

Didn’t get the quick taps for the compressor and inlet back so ordered some new ones and some more 1/4” silicone hose from ATP to get it right. Snagged a 3” beaded aluminum coupler to get the intake tract sorted out as well.

Oy vey. Thanks to @xxiaze and @TyphoonFiST for helping me figure out the solenoid or lack thereof.

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #29
Adventure keeps getting more interesting, unfortunately.

Quick taps installed so the solenoid could get plumbed in. No CEL, but boost is peaking at 10 psi and quickly falling from there down to 8 psi by 6500 rpm.

Ordered a boost leak tester to see what happens there before I go ripping the turbo off and chasing down an incorrectly pre-loaded wastegate. Should have the tester Monday if Amazon comes through like usual.

Here's a comical VDyno and datalog attached to show you guys what's happening. Would love any thoughts what to go look for other than boost leak or wastegate pre-load.

4.8.21 VDyno.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
Got the turbo and manifold off. Wastegate was indeed preloaded incorrectly. Got that sorted but wouldn’t you know, the manifold studs all have the nuts red loctited on there so I’ve gotta get new studs and nuts before it can all go back together.

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #31
Haven’t updated here in a while. After pulling the turbo twice and ultimately going back from the Tial 16 lb wastegate actuator to the ATP provided 14 lb, we’re in business tuning. Got revision #3 from Jason@dizzy this week and ready for some logging when it’s not disgusting outside.

Performed a compression test also out of curiosity. 175 on cyl 1-3 and 179 on cyl 4.

Installed Radium OCC that’s been chillin in the garage untouched in downtime. Fits great. Will install the CCV side catch can in the next few days if I find myself bored.

Also snagged noma’s GReddy exhaust in the FS section and bolted that up today. Sounds awesome and no more stupid 3” to 2.5” adapter sitting between the downpipe and cbe. E8440CF2-C907-42F9-93AF-09F4E206B718.jpeg

Attachments

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #33
Quick update here with the latest VDyno on version V1F of tuning. Car absolutely rips above 5,000 rpm but the slow spool is a huge bummer.

Wondering if my IWG actuator is the issue. It's a 14 psi gate but is cracking open below 10 psi. Not sure if exhaust pressure alone is enough to force the flapper open and slow down the spool but have confirmed no exhaust leaks before the turbo.

V1F VDyno.jpg

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
Jason @ Dizzy confirmed - the last log is all we're getting out of it. I could adjust the IWG actuator and machine the vband adapter and get spool down a few hundred RPMs.

On another note, I just ordered an S280 from Ron. He said 1-2 weeks out on inventory as supply chain issues are clearing up now. Nothing wrong with this setup but after a few hundred miles on this thing I'm missing the fast spool of stock turbo. Will have a mint condition 2860 kit for sale in a few weeks pending delivery of the s280.

I like that linear power though that is a late spool. Are similar turbos known to spoil earlier

OP
dhminer

dhminer

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #37
I like that linear power though that is a late spool. Are similar turbos known to spoil earlier
The late spool is really the primary driver behind going for a new turbo. Stock fitment is a huge plus too since I got an airtec manifold and I just generally don’t like the vband adapter solution. Seems half baked to my engineer brain. If I knew what I knew now when I got the turbo upgrade idea into my head I would’ve either gone s280 from the beginning or a peron 2860/g25-550 kit. Both ways you get a fully engineered system. I did contemplate getting a WOR modified stock manifold with the vband attachment to get away from the adapter but the way the car sounds with the airtec is too good to get rid of it

Last edited:
The late spool is really the primary driver behind going for a new turbo. Stock fitment is a huge plus too since I got an airtec manifold and I just generally don’t like the vband adapter solution. Seems half baked to my engineer brain. If I knew what I knew now when I got the turbo upgrade idea into my head I would’ve either gone s280 from the beginning or a peron 2860/g25-550 kit. Both ways you get a fully engineered system. I did contemplate getting a WOR modified stock manifold with the vband attachment to get away from the adapter but the way the car sounds with the airtec is too good to get rid of it
This is helpful. I’m pretty torn between the whoosh and s280. I’m not, I repeat not, going with aux fuel so I think the whoosh is enough but I’m not 100% decided.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Jason @ Dizzy confirmed - the last log is all we're getting out of it. I could adjust the IWG actuator and machine the vband adapter and get spool down a few hundred RPMs.

On another note, I just ordered an S280 from Ron. He said 1-2 weeks out on inventory as supply chain issues are clearing up now. Nothing wrong with this setup but after a few hundred miles on this thing I'm missing the fast spool of stock turbo. Will have a mint condition 2860 kit for sale in a few weeks pending delivery of the s280.
The s280 or S284?