Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Swift springs and Bilstein B8 disappointed

green_henry

1000 Post Club
Swapped out the Bilstein B8's for Koni str.t orange today.

To get the swift springs on the b8's I had to compress the crap out of them. I was able to install them on the Koni's by hand.

I left the powerflex rear spring pads on but it already looks lower than with the b8's.

I'm going to let things settle in again and measure the drop, but I can already tell it looks better.

Don't be like me, if you have swift springs, use b6's or Koni's.
The same is true for the Koni Yellows. I rented some spring compressors and never needed them. Easy peasy

Swapped out the Bilstein B8's for Koni str.t orange today.

To get the swift springs on the b8's I had to compress the crap out of them. I was able to install them on the Koni's by hand.

I left the powerflex rear spring pads on but it already looks lower than with the b8's.

I'm going to let things settle in again and measure the drop, but I can already tell it looks better.

Don't be like me, if you have swift springs, use b6's or Koni's.
Hey[wave] I'm curious how your koni oranges/swifts have settled and how you find the ride. Just mounted some 15" rims and need to reduce my fender gap. Thx!

Last edited:
OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #83
Hey[wave] I'm curious how your knoi oranges/swifts have settled and how you find the ride. Just mounted some 15" rims and need to reduce my fender gap. Thx!
I only have about 100 miles on them so far. Definitely helps with fender gap but it doesn't eliminate it. I'm on konig dekagram 16x8 205/45/16.

As far as the ride, I love it. I don't think it's too soft as some say. Its way more comfortable but it still feels tight and controlled, not floaty.

I drive the car year round and didn't want to go too low for winter time. I'll give it another week of commuting and then measure the drop and see how it compares to the b8's. I'll update this when I do.

Lol I made sure they weren't upside down. The car also seems to understeer more now too.

I don't know if numb is the right way to explain it but I definitely don't like the feel. Like I said I think the springs are compressed too much to fit on the b8's to do their job properly. It's all learning and at least it's an easy fix, just more money.
If you have not (not saying you haven’t) gotten an alignment yet. The front would be tow in because the tierods being behind the hub. This would make the front push for sure.
Just a thought

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #85
If you have not (not saying you haven’t) gotten an alignment yet. The front would be tow in because the tierods being behind the hub. This would make the front push for sure.
Just a thought
Good lookin out, alignment was done. It did make a difference but again it was the wrong combination. I am loving the koni / swift setup. Still need to get another alignment, so it will only get better. Should be this week. Only have 300 miles on the Koni's. I don't drive enough.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I switched to the Koni Yellows with my swifts over the weekend. Doing some clean up on my tune so not pushing too hard, but it feels way different in a much better way than with the B8s

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I switched to the Koni Yellows with my swifts over the weekend. Doing some clean up on my tune so not pushing too hard, but it feels way different in a much better way than with the B8s
Ya I like Koni’s more than Bilsteins, I bought my ST XTA’s basically because the internals are pretty much Koni design as Koni would supply KW with the parts and KW would assemble.
So KW and ST’s are a Koni style shock. I.E. dual tube low pressure oil/ gas vs Monotube High pressure gas of the Bilstein.
People can argue the pro’s and cons of the different types of shock it really comes down to what the use is. If you are driving on the street the Koni style is going to give you a better ride. If you are strictly track the Monotube design can have some benefits but all in all over rough uneven surfaces and what not Monotube will feel harsher.

You guys that have used front Bilsteins, did you have stock bump stops installed? On two previous cars, the Bilstein instructions have you leave them out due to an internal bump stop. I’m thinking about Bilsteins to go with the SpecRs I already have sitting waiting to be installed.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You guys that have used front Bilsteins, did you have stock bump stops installed? On two previous cars, the Bilstein instructions have you leave them out due to an internal bump stop. I’m thinking about Bilsteins to go with the SpecRs I already have sitting waiting to be installed.
I cut mine in half, but I did put them on. I don't think the issue is with the bump stops so much as it is with the valving. I prefer the Konis now with the swifts.