Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Symptoms of a cracked fire ring?

PunkST

2000 Post Club
I have no cel and no odd driving issues, but i feel like i may have an exhaust leak.

My only indicator is i get double vision and dizziness driving my car. ( was driving wifes car most of the day with no issues, used my car once and had issues similar to what ive been experiencing.

I havent gotten the car in the air to check. But past a massive hole idk what to look for.

slopoke

An exhaust leak is possible at many different areas like exhaust manifold to head, exhaust manifold to turbo, turbine outlet flange to downpipe, downpipe to exhaust system flange and any connectors along the exhaust system. If you do suspect a leak, I'd lift the car and the areas that you can safely use your hand to feel for leaks, use this method. If you can't use your hand, I'd use a strip of paper and use it to go around the mating area and see if it moves with the engine holding a steady high rpm. Another way to tell is to look for "soot marks" which are darkened soot areas at a parting area left by exhaust gasses escaping at that particular area. When I had a leak at the V band of my turbo to manifold, I had soot marks at the leak area. An exhaust leak will not trigger a CEL, if large enough will affect performance, but if it's that large, I'd suspect that you would hear it.

With the symptoms you are talking about, this is not something to not take seriously, because this could lead to a catastrophic event. I hope you get this sorted out ASAP, for you and your families sake. Good luck.

29208484.jpg dscn0594.jpg exhaust_leak.jpg P1080031.jpg

Last edited:
OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Agreed. Ill have to get under there with a light.

OP
PunkST

PunkST

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Might have to next week. Its snowing here.