Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Sync Fuse/Power Issues

I need your help with this. I'm sure it's been posted in here, but I can't find the keyword combo to bring it up. I've had my '16 FiST for about a week now and the Sync has several issues stemming from the fusing. It is currently fused with this bridge to the BCM in Fuse 11 to enable it to power off with the vehicle, but that means that thee sync does not remember anything when it powers back on, the bridge falls out of fuse 10 pretty easily, and it wants to update every time it starts up so the whole process takes 30 second to clear out and get to a radio station (and the updates never succeed). If I replace the bridge with two fuses in fuses 10 and 11 the Sync module never turns off and I'm afraid it will drain the battery, and I'm waiting for an OBD reader to come in that my FORScan can connect to (I only have one that Carista connects to). Does anyone have a work around for fusing this that will cause the Sync to power off with the car and not destroy the battery? I appreciate the help!

Attachments

I need your help with this. I'm sure it's been posted in here, but I can't find the keyword combo to bring it up. I've had my '16 FiST for about a week now and the Sync has several issues stemming from the fusing. It is currently fused with this bridge to the BCM in Fuse 11 to enable it to power off with the vehicle, but that means that thee sync does not remember anything when it powers back on, the bridge falls out of fuse 10 pretty easily, and it wants to update every time it starts up so the whole process takes 30 second to clear out and get to a radio station (and the updates never succeed). If I replace the bridge with two fuses in fuses 10 and 11 the Sync module never turns off and I'm afraid it will drain the battery, and I'm waiting for an OBD reader to come in that my FORScan can connect to (I only have one that Carista connects to). Does anyone have a work around for fusing this that will cause the Sync to power off with the car and not destroy the battery? I appreciate the help!
If you're not using the add-a-fuse (maybe the installer used it for a dash cam or radar detector) then you can just take it out and replace the fuse directly in the slot in the fuse box. Sync has a 10 minute delay, from turning off the car's power, until it powers down.

DEss

OP
Alleycat
Thread Starter #3
If you're not using the add-a-fuse (maybe the installer used it for a dash cam or radar detector) then you can just take it out and replace the fuse directly in the slot in the fuse box. Sync has a 10 minute delay, from turning off the car's power, until it powers down.

DEss
10 min delay? That's absurd. Is that editable? I'm thinking that's why the add-a-fuse was put in there by either the previous owner or the shop that salvaged it. With the add-a-fuse it powers off with the vehicle power, so I'm guessing that's the purpose of adding it. It also keeps power on for the USB ports in the armrest, so my GPS stays on too. Worried that two will drain the battery if I leave it plugged in, but it's super inconvenient for a modern car.

10 min delay? That's absurd. Is that editable? I'm thinking that's why the add-a-fuse was put in there by either the previous owner or the shop that salvaged it. With the add-a-fuse it powers off with the vehicle power, so I'm guessing that's the purpose of adding it. It also keeps power on for the USB ports in the armrest, so my GPS stays on too. Worried that two will drain the battery if I leave it plugged in, but it's super inconvenient for a modern car.
Not sure if you can change the delay. You can check the forscan thread to see if there's a setting. Not sure why anyone would use an add-a-fuse in the manner you described. Again, if you're not using the add-a-fuse for anything, just remove it and put the 15a back into f10 and the 20a into f11.

DEss

OP
Alleycat
Thread Starter #5
Not sure if you can change the delay. You can check the forscan thread to see if there's a setting. Not sure why anyone would use an add-a-fuse in the manner you described. Again, if you're not using the add-a-fuse for anything, just remove it and put the 15a back into f10 and the 20a into f11.

DEss
I hadn't really got into the FORScan threads yet because the Amazon shipping is so behind right now that it'll be a few weeks before it gets to me yet, but yeah I had planned to search through there for settings and such, just wondered if you knew off hand. And yeah that looks like what the add a fuse is set up for; I had taken it out and done what you suggested it to see that the sync didn't shut off, but hadn't let it sit for more than about 5 mins or so.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
All Fords with Sync 3 have the delay in shutoff. This lets you turn the car off and still listen to the end of a song or radio program before you get out of the car. The dash lights and such stay on so you can see things. And if you have wifi at home or work that it connects to, it gives it a chance to connect and do whatever update checking it wants to do. As CarGuy said, as soon as you open the door it shuts off. This is normal behavior.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
All Fords with Sync 3 have the delay in shutoff. This lets you turn the car off and still listen to the end of a song or radio program before you get out of the car. The dash lights and such stay on so you can see things. And if you have wifi at home or work that it connects to, it gives it a chance to connect and do whatever update checking it wants to do. As CarGuy said, as soon as you open the door it shuts off. This is normal behavior.
Sync 2 is the same way. With ForScan you can set that delay longer but it still shuts off once you open the door.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Alleycat
Thread Starter #9
It only stays on if you don't open the door. Once you open the door it should shut off.

So it does not shut off when you open the door. I walked away, into buildings, locked and unlocked it, and it does not shut down. Pretty sure that qualifies as abnormal behavior. The key sensor seems to work because it honks at me when I get out and leave the car running. I'm assuming that it's some kind of door sensor or fuse related to that? Any ideas?

OP
Alleycat
Thread Starter #10
Tagging you since you also seem to be a source of some potential wisdom here.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
So it does not shut off when you open the door. I walked away, into buildings, locked and unlocked it, and it does not shut down. Pretty sure that qualifies as abnormal behavior. The key sensor seems to work because it honks at me when I get out and leave the car running. I'm assuming that it's some kind of door sensor or fuse related to that? Any ideas?
That makes sense. Try opening the passenger door and closing it too. See what happens.

OP
Alleycat
Thread Starter #12
That makes sense. Try opening the passenger door and closing it too. See what happens.

I have tried that previously and it didn't cause it to shut off either, though I did not test it as extensively (I was sitting outside an O'Reillys). The Add-A-Fuse setup also stopped working this afternoon while I was doing some more testing on it. None of the fuses are visibly bad, so I don't know what is going on there, and I don't have a tester on hand, and it's easter in the midwest, so this has become a tomorrow thing now.

SteveS

1000 Post Club
Did a little research. This kind of problem has been experienced on all models of Ford from time to time, and all the way back to MyFord Touch. I have seen no definitive cure-all. It appears the previous owner may have put the fuse jumper in just as a workaround.

Some things people have said fixed their issue:
1. Pull the fuse for Sync and replace it cured the problem.
2. Clean corrosion off battery terminals and secure connection.
3. Replace battery which was old and had lost its reserve ability.
4. Replace negative battery cable which has a Battery Control Module on it.
5. Replace Sync module/have Ford dealer reprogram/replace GPS module.
6. With car running, open driver door and see if car tells you door is open. If not, replace sensor in door.

OP
Alleycat
Thread Starter #14
Did a little research. This kind of problem has been experienced on all models of Ford from time to time, and all the way back to MyFord Touch. I have seen no definitive cure-all. It appears the previous owner may have put the fuse jumper in just as a workaround.

Some things people have said fixed their issue:
1. Pull the fuse for Sync and replace it cured the problem.
2. Clean corrosion off battery terminals and secure connection.
3. Replace battery which was old and had lost its reserve ability.
4. Replace negative battery cable which has a Battery Control Module on it.
5. Replace Sync module/have Ford dealer reprogram/replace GPS module.
6. With car running, open driver door and see if car tells you door is open. If not, replace sensor in door.
So far I've tried about 2/3 of those, but tomorrow I'll give a few others a go. I did just replace the battery, and half wondered if that would fix it, which is why I waited until after doing that to start trouble shooting the Sync Issue. The old battery was still good, but he car was salvaged (dunno if I mentioned that above) and was near the end of its lifetime and it had probably sat for 2.5-3 years, so I expected it to be a problem causer. I hadn't actually noticed if the car notices the driver door being open or not, but just tested it and the indicator light and chime both come on. I guess my next step would be to to replace the battery cable and controller, and if that doesn't work then I' guess I'm stuck keeping my appointment with the local dealer and hoping they can just reflash the unit. There's no FiSTs in my year group anywhere around here in the salvage yards and I'm not sure what other cars will have compatible units. Also mine is a non-GPS unit if that makes a difference in what you found in your research.