Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tackling p0017 code

felopr

(i posted this 1st on, what i did today, but i guess i will be making a new thread on it)
finally started to tackle my p0017 code, Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation (exhaust)
I have previously checked the most common stuff before like sensors and, cables, solenoid, etc with no success
My suspicion is that it jumped a tooth on the exhaust cam
to really check if it jumped a tooth and to put it on time I have to take the valve cover off, so that is what I did first
for those that don't know, to take the valve cover off, you have to take off the fuel rail, HPFP, vacuum pump, spark plug coils, spark plug coil support, and all the cables that are around that area
After I removed all that, I checked the end of the camshafts to check if it was on time
I don't really need the timing tools yet, I just have to physically check if the camshaft was aligned to one another to check if it was on time or not.
to check, both "line-like aperture" on the end of the camshaft has to align with one another. As mas suspicion was inclining, it was out of time, the exhaust cam was a slightly out of sync with the intake
the picture is for reference, not my car

I did start tearing apart the side to access the belt
when I took the belt cover off, I saw some belt-like string around the area, and the tensioner
The timing belt looks intact, so the only thing that comes to mind was the serpentine belt that broke in half last year
I don't know-how part of that belt came inside the timing belt area because that area is sealed but it did
my theory is that, part of that broken belt came between the tensioner and the timing belt and made the belt slip
I will be finishing today, since I didn't have time yesterday

jackson02

I face this problem. The timing chain might be extended, and the crankshaft belt might make them miss teeth. The stuff might have been broken or stretched. You have Crankshaft Position issue and you should look this article for solution https://theeffectiveguide.com/p0017-code/

Last edited:
OP
felopr

felopr

Thread Starter #4
Soooo, what happened? Update?
I face this problem. The timing chain might be extended, and the crankshaft belt might make them miss teeth. The stuff might have been broken or stretched. You have Crankshaft Position issue and you should look this article for solution https://theeffectiveguide.com/p0017-code/
https://www.fiestastforum.com/threa...our-fiesta-st-today.1441/page-531#post-440388

havent looks at the forums for so long but here is what happend basically