Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Talk to me about Transmission shift feel

Alright after much research I am completely stumped on this. I have a 2015 and I have started to notice that when shifting the car on occasion it just doesn't feel smooth at all. All most like it skips a little bit then falls into gear. its comes and goes everyday some days I don't even notice it and some days its very noticeable. From reading forum after four 50 percent of people claim that this is normal and these cars don't shift like "butter" but the other half claims there's an issue but could be a million things. My question is has anyone experienced the same thing? its driving me up the wall! I tried changing the trans fluid and for about 2 days it shifted probably the best I've ever seen then all of a sudden it reverted back to the notchyness again. Any advice will be appreciated.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Alright after much research I am completely stumped on this. I have a 2015 and I have started to notice that when shifting the car on occasion it just doesn't feel smooth at all. All most like it skips a little bit then falls into gear. its comes and goes everyday some days I don't even notice it and some days its very noticeable. From reading forum after four 50 percent of people claim that this is normal and these cars don't shift like "butter" but the other half claims there's an issue but could be a million things. My question is has anyone experienced the same thing? its driving me up the wall! I tried changing the trans fluid and for about 2 days it shifted probably the best I've ever seen then all of a sudden it reverted back to the notchyness again. Any advice will be appreciated.
Change the Fluid to Ravenol 75w80....then let us know how it feels.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

gtx3076

1000 Post Club
I got the same problem. Could be the shifter bushings, could be the cables, could be the motor mounts, could be the fluid.

I chased the "perfect shift feel" on another platform, and "upgraded" all of the above plus a full replacement short throw shifter and shift weight. Results were different, but not necessarily better. I remember the throws got shorter, but coincidentally, more difficult, and I ended up adding a taller knob for leverage, which kinda defeated the purpose of having the short throw "upgrade".

If you got the time and money to throw at it, just do one mod at a time until it's tolerable.

OP
M
Thread Starter #4
I got the same problem. Could be the shifter bushings, could be the cables, could be the motor mounts, could be the fluid.

I chased the "perfect shift feel" on another platform, and "upgraded" all of the above plus a full replacement short throw shifter and shift weight. Results were different, but not necessarily better. I remember the throws got shorter, but coincidentally, more difficult, and I ended up adding a taller knob for leverage, which kinda defeated the purpose of having the short throw "upgrade".

If you got the time and money to throw at it, just do one mod at a time until it's tolerable.
Thats exactly what im reading I have a new RMM coming in the mail I guess im going to take to shop to see if they can find anything wrong if not I guess I will be doing that.

My 16 felt bad stock (20k miles). I changed the fluid to some from woosh, replaced the shifter cable bushings and shifter base bushings, replaced the RMM and added powerflex engine/trans inserts to the mounts. It feels great now, unfortunetly I did all these about same time so cant say what was most noticable, but they all work together to really shape it up. The only thing I havent done a lot of others have is the short shift adapter.

I'm using 2L of Triax synthetic DCT fluid and it feels great but I also have the Whoosh short throw shift adapter and all the bushings. I also have the 88A AWR RMM so that also makes a difference.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Are you still under the 5-year powertrain warranty? If so, I would suggest taking it into the dealer on a warranty claim. I mentioned rough shifting on another car that I had it was on warranty, not expecting much because it wasn't that bad, and they quickly told me they'd be giving me a new transmission on warranty for free. You don't know if you don't ask. If your warranty is over, then I would be less likely to take it in to a dealer.
I firmly believe that what you are experiencing is not normal, my car still has the factory fill transmission fluid, and it is one of the best shifting cars that I have had, very very smooth. It compares well to Acuras and Hondas that I have had previously which are known to have some of the best manual transmissions.

pixelzombie

Thats exactly what im reading I have a new RMM coming in the mail I guess im going to take to shop to see if they can find anything wrong if not I guess I will be doing that.
I replaced the RMM last week, and the 1-2, 2-3 shifting is smoother and solid as well.

flbchbm

1000 Post Club
Well, yeah, the soft "jerkiness" of 1-2 and 2-3 shifts suck with the stick RMM. But that is when letting the clutch out AFTER it is already shifted That's why EVERYBODY says get an RMM. But a feeling after the shift is completed is not the act of shifting itself. Details are so critical here.

Shift conditions is a tough subject. I read the thread quickly and dont remember anybody mentioning an aftermarket RMM. Everybody talks up fluid and imho, much of it is hand dyno...hook up a robotic sensor and test the friction reduction when moving that lever...

I would go so far as to say if I said I replaced someone's fluid with this or that, they would say how great it is. That is, until I tell them I did not. A double blind test is needed here. Any takers?

I noticed it when I bought my 2019 and I hadn't driven stick since 2004, it sucked until I bought an RMM. I put in some Ravenol too since it was cheap and "highly" recommended. Did I need to? Ymmv

I did NOT replace the bushings because they do not have the play like the focus' do. I recorded the video to see it myself.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think my 2->3 upshift is like what you describe. There's a notch on the way in, not really in a good way, and when it falls into 3rd, the finish is very ... vague. Not sure how to describe it. Currently at 50k miles, changed fluid before at 25, probably going to do it next time I'm in service again.

I have a 2019 and most of the time it's smooth as silk. However there are times when it's a bit clunky. My hunch is that the times it gets clunky is due to my timing in regards to the clutch and pulling it out of gear. Basically I may be a bit slow on the clutch by enough to cause a notchy feel.

OP
M
Thread Starter #12
Are you still under the 5-year powertrain warranty? If so, I would suggest taking it into the dealer on a warranty claim. I mentioned rough shifting on another car that I had it was on warranty, not expecting much because it wasn't that bad, and they quickly told me they'd be giving me a new transmission on warranty for free. You don't know if you don't ask. If your warranty is over, then I would be less likely to take it in to a dealer.
I firmly believe that what you are experiencing is not normal, my car still has the factory fill transmission fluid, and it is one of the best shifting cars that I have had, very very smooth. It compares well to Acuras and Hondas that I have had previously which are known to have some of the best manual transmissions.
So i ended up taking it to the dealer and both axle seals where leaking so those where replaced and i thought that would take care of the issue but here we are still clunking between shifts. This has to be one of the most frustrating issues ive ever had. Ive taken to a 3rd party shop as well had them drive it and they said it was fine ugh

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have a 2019 and most of the time it's smooth as silk. However there are times when it's a bit clunky. My hunch is that the times it gets clunky is due to my timing in regards to the clutch and pulling it out of gear. Basically I may be a bit slow on the clutch by enough to cause a notchy feel.
The stock RMM is just too soft, and it allows too much engine movement between shifts.

I just installed the Powerflex race series driver and passanger motor mount inserts. I just have to say if you want the best shift feel you need to change the fluid to the appropriate 2L level and get all the supporting mods. My shifts are quick and smooth just like butter.