Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Déjà Vu Build

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I thought about Dekagrams, but given the lack of tire options in that size and that I wasn't really looking to run a 200 treadwear Falken, I went for the Sparcos. They are still significantly lighter than the OEM wheels (17 lbs. vs 22), and the price seems justified. This is the second set of Sparcos I've bought, and like the first set they came perfectly balanced with very few wheel weights. I had a set of Motegi wheels on another car that each had probably a dozen weights on them, and they still weren't entirely balanced (and I had tried twice).
I've seen the strength and quality (besides being one of the sweetest looking wheels made for these cars!) of the Terras first hand, from an ARA Northwest based rally crew who had them on a FiST at the 2018 NEFR event.

They actually hit bumps/'yumps' and compressions on those stage roads hard enough to send the M-Sport/Bilstein Motorsport front dampers right through the shock towers, but their Terras held up flawlessly! [:)] [thumb] [driving]

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Great to see you back

OP
P
Thread Starter #23
Great to see you back
Thanks. I really needed some time away to appreciate just how special these cars are.

It's also reminded me how much I hate some of the things Ford does. This morning I used Forscan to switch the Sync 3 boot animation to the ST version, because for some reason it's set to the basic Ford animation. Also disabled TPMS, because it gets really old hearing the random Ford warning tones every 15 minutes or so.

On the other side of things, holy eff the Cobb stage 1 93 octane tune is way more aggressive than the 91 octane tune. I know I still need some break-in miles on the Indy 500's, but it's already riding the limit of how much torque they can hold. I didn't quite expect this stark of a difference. When it does hook up off the line, it's vicious. More so than my '15 ever was at stage 2 / 91 octane.

OP
P
Thread Starter #24
I had been planning to do Cobb's CBE, but they seem to be on perpetual backorder (7-8 weeks as of today). Ron over at Whoosh says the Thermal R&D CBEs should be shipping in the next week or two, and it seems to have a very similar character to the Cobb CBE, with maybe a bit more "raw" sound. Just put my order in, so we'll see how it goes.

OP
P
Thread Starter #25
Not much has been moving here, but I'm going to be making a change this week. The Mishimoto intake picked up a vibration in the lid that covers the air box, and that was really the final straw for me. It's coming off, and the OEM intake is going back in until I decide what I want to do instead. I pestered their support about it for a while, got a vague promise to ship another hard pipe that it appears they won't actually be shipping, but I really don't care anymore. I gave them a second chance, they blew it, so I won't be back.

The Thermal R&D CBE has been in the UPS logistics chain since last week, has been delayed twice already, and probably will be again. Such is shipping during COVID-19, so it gets here when it gets here.

--edit--

The exhaust made it! Will be getting installed on Monday.

Last edited:
OP
P
Thread Starter #26
The Thermal R&D CBE went on today. First impressions are very good so far. It burbles a lot at low RPMs when coasting. It gets decently loud when on the gas, and quiets down a lot when off. Need to take it for some highway miles, but so far I haven’t detected any droning scenarios. The pitch is great too; there’s no raspiness.

Compared to the Cobb CBE, i think it’s a bit quieter when cruising. Though the sound seems a bit more raw. Pretty much exactly as described, so I’m very happy with it.

Also ordered a symposer delete kit, as I’m getting out of sync stereo sound from the front and back of the car now. It’s a bit distracting and annoying, so that’s getting fixed as soon as the kit comes in.

OP
P
Thread Starter #27
Ripped the symposer off this afternoon, and spiked it on the ground when I was done. Just as annoying as I remember it being on my '15.

Good riddance.
IMG_20200713_134945.jpg

OP
P
Thread Starter #28
Just ordered: Mountune radiator, Mountune intercooler, Whoosh street spec rear motor mount, and a Ramair panel filter.

This will complete the planned part of this build.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
You will like that motor mount.
I believe you will also like the intercooler.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

OP
P
Thread Starter #30
You will like that motor mount.
I believe you will also like the intercooler.

Last time it was a Mishimoto radiator (crash beam has to come off), Whoosh V1 intercooler (middle bracket doesn't fit, front supports bow out slightly), and Cobb's RMM (no issues there, but $50 more expensive than Ron's). Mountune's stuff is said to fit the best, so I'm going to test that personally. :)

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Last time it was a Mishimoto radiator (crash beam has to come off), Whoosh V1 intercooler (middle bracket doesn't fit, front supports bow out slightly), and Cobb's RMM (no issues there, but $50 more expensive than Ron's). Mountune's stuff is said to fit the best, so I'm going to test that personally. :)
The only thing I can say about the rear mount is that the inserts can wear out and the center hole can oval quickly. Otherwise, good choice.

OP
P
Thread Starter #32
The only thing I can say about the rear mount is that the inserts can wear out and the center hole can oval quickly. Otherwise, good choice.
Haven't seen much on wear issues with the Whoosh RMM. Mind filling in an amateur wrench on what that would mean for long-term durability? Mind this car will never be getting a ton of miles, as I'm splitting my time about 50/50 with my ND2.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Polyurethane 'cold forms' from stress after a while (depending on the severity of the stresses, and the durometer of the poly), and it can be effected (affected??) by automotive fluids, and heat as well (but so can most bushing materials out there).

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Haven't seen much on wear issues with the Whoosh RMM. Mind filling in an amateur wrench on what that would mean for long-term durability? Mind this car will never be getting a ton of miles, as I'm splitting my time about 50/50 with my ND2.
I've replaced 3 sets of bushings in one of my whoosh mounts in a year time frame. Granted it probably get ragged on pretty hard, but after a few months the vibrations become more noticeable. Typically a sign of worn bushings, so I check them and at least one set is always out of round. I've since sold the mount on and purchased an AWR and a Vibratechnics

OP
P
Thread Starter #35
I've replaced 3 sets of bushings in one of my whoosh mounts in a year time frame. Granted it probably get ragged on pretty hard, but after a few months the vibrations become more noticeable. Typically a sign of worn bushings, so I check them and at least one set is always out of round. I've since sold the mount on and purchased an AWR and a Vibratechnics
It is one of the softer mounts. I'm definitely not planning on track/autocross use, though.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
They can be deformed from hard street driving as well. Plenty of people have no issues with the mount, but it can fail based on how its treated.
So what happens when it fails? excessive movement a clunk?

OP
P
Thread Starter #38
So what happens when it fails? excessive movement a clunk?

And on top of that, how does this differ from other "street spec" RMMs, for example Cobb's? I had about a year and ~10k miles on Cobb's with no issues that I could detect.

OP
P
Thread Starter #39
RMM and the intercooler went on today. Radiator's backordered, so that'll be a job for another day.

The Mountune does indeed fit perfectly. No drama at all getting it installed or the bumper back on. Seeing pretty solid drops in charge air temp when it gets on boost.

The Whoosh RMM seems to be less harsh than Cobb's. Works quite nicely for my purposes. Very slightly noticeable at idle with the a/c on.

OP
P
Thread Starter #40
Mountune radiator went on this afternoon, so that concludes the planned portion of this build.

I used the "out the bottom" install method with no major issues. It's tight, but very doable.