Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Evolution of the Green Beast

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Fantastic detail Pete. For those who follow in your footsteps, this is the way to get all the specs perfect.

For those like me who paid a shop to do it, I seriously doubt my LSD install received the same attention to detail. Mainly because the entire job took one day.

I did make sure they used the new ring gear bolts and the rest of the install kit I bought from Mountune, as I had all the old parts saved so I could see them afterward. And I used a shop that works on race cars and made sure owner put his best man on mine.

With 20 months of use including a lot of track time, mine is still working great.

Perfect is always better, doing it yourself regardless of how much time it takes is always better if you can arrange it. Thanks for putting this together.
+1!!

YES, THANK YOU Pete for this WAY WAY 'above and beyond' the call documentation!!!!!!!! [twothumb]

I only wish that I had the 'clean room', spacious facility to even attempt to do this even with my limited skill set. [:(]

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #262
[MENTION=1391]Siestarider[/MENTION] and [MENTION=4438]M-Sport fan[/MENTION] thank you guys. Documenting the process adds more time into the process but I am hoping this will help our community out. I mean there is piece of mind in both aspects of doing it yourself or having a shop do it. With the first method you can be sure you changed everything you wanted and you get to have a nice inspection of the inside as well as save some $$$$. However then you think to yourself did I do this right the whole time while waiting for that first drive around to see if everything works. With the second method you have "piece of mind" and don't have to figure out how to put everything back together. It does cost a good amount of money but then you wonder about all the details. Both aspects have their benefits.

Here is the link to the page I made for everything you need on the LSD and final drive swap. http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/12820-LSD-and-Final-Drive-Installation

Also part two of the transmission assembly is up

[video=youtube_share;haYV5lIKrGo]https://youtu.be/haYV5lIKrGo[/video]

Out of curiosity what was the mileage at when your engine blew? Also, at what mileage did you start tuning at? What were your power levels like?

I'm trying to see how hard/far I can push my car before I get into..."the danger zone" (in an Archer voice).

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #267
Out of curiosity what was the mileage at when your engine blew? Also, at what mileage did you start tuning at? What were your power levels like?

I'm trying to see how hard/far I can push my car before I get into..."the danger zone" (in an Archer voice).
The engine blew at 44,000-45,000 miles. I had an MP215 tune almost right away then at around 20,000 miles I purchased an AP and went with a custom tune from Adam at Tune + for both 91 and E30 on the stock turbo. I had an intake and intercooler so pretty much "Stage 2" I tracked the car numerous times with this set up and enjoyed mountain runs almost every other night. So by no means was I being easy on the car. At 40,000 miles I put the X37 turbo on the car along with cat back and a modified cat. Tune + was my tuner again and one day when I went to get my car weighed I had a misfire and the car lost a ton of power. Ironically it was the one day I didn't have my AP in the car because I was looking at logs and doing vdynos. So I wasn't able to read all the codes. But it sure felt like the misfiring I experienced again later on. I pulled into a starbucks popped the hood and checked everything. 10 minutes later I try starting the car up and everything was "back to normal." I should have took this as a huge red flag but other things were on my mind. Later at 44,000 miles I hit up DHM for a 100 octane tune and we hit the 3rd revision when the engine let go. We were not even at the same power level, timing or boost, as what I had before on E30 yet. After looking at the engine and the piston that failed I believe it to be a heat build up issue from the numerous times I have just ran the engine at redline. Spending 20 minutes on track puts way more strain then random street pulls. And there were a lot of those 20 minutes sessions on the engine. I hadn't even had the chance to go to the track yet with the x37 turbo on the car.

The engine blew at 44,000-45,000 miles. I had an MP215 tune almost right away then at around 20,000 miles I purchased an AP and went with a custom tune from Adam at Tune + for both 91 and E30 on the stock turbo. I had an intake and intercooler so pretty much "Stage 2" I tracked the car numerous times with this set up and enjoyed mountain runs almost every other night. So by no means was I being easy on the car. At 40,000 miles I put the X37 turbo on the car along with cat back and a modified cat. Tune + was my tuner again and one day when I went to get my car weighed I had a misfire and the car lost a ton of power. Ironically it was the one day I didn't have my AP in the car because I was looking at logs and doing vdynos. So I wasn't able to read all the codes. But it sure felt like the misfiring I experienced again later on. I pulled into a starbucks popped the hood and checked everything. 10 minutes later I try starting the car up and everything was "back to normal." I should have took this as a huge red flag but other things were on my mind. Later at 44,000 miles I hit up DHM for a 100 octane tune and we hit the 3rd revision when the engine let go. We were not even at the same power level, timing or boost, as what I had before on E30 yet. After looking at the engine and the piston that failed I believe it to be a heat build up issue from the numerous times I have just ran the engine at redline. Spending 20 minutes on track puts way more strain then random street pulls. And there were a lot of those 20 minutes sessions on the engine. I hadn't even had the chance to go to the track yet with the x37 turbo on the car.
Wow, thanks or the detailed response. [twothumb]
I also track my car and started modifying it at 600 miles. I've only had about 8 track sessions so far but it's because winter came so quickly. This year I'm planning on hitting more tracks and more often. My main track being the nurburgring. I installed my C39 at about 9000 miles (up to 13.4k now). Currently waiting for my x47 and CP-e intake then retuning the car. I've just been trying to figure out the lifespan of a pretty highly modified car that's actually used on a track. I doubt I drive mine as hard as you and probably have a lot more highway miles but I've had the idea in my head of the car blowing around 80-100k miles. As much as I enjoy this car I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a built engine from DHM just like yourself as soon as I can get back to the US (two more years) rather than buying a new car after this one. The RS is just too big...the twins the abarth and the mx-5 are just too small.

Anyways keep the information flowing man, this thread is awesome!

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #269
I made a Q&A video on the most asked question on my channel or that I get in real life from all the local ST members.
[video=youtube_share;SkSEE091giE]https://youtu.be/SkSEE091giE[/video]

Those pistons are too pretty to hide in a block.

I don't know much about these engines so with these new internals, what performance gains are you expecting or is it merely for strength and longevity under increased boost/abuse?

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #272
Those pistons are too pretty to hide in a block.

I don't know much about these engines so with these new internals, what performance gains are you expecting or is it merely for strength and longevity under increased boost/abuse?
Most of it is for longevity for holding power up to 500whp. There is an increase in compression from 10:1 to 11:1 from the deck and head being milled. So there will be a performance gain there. Along with everything being balanced and the new rings having a better seal then factory. Off boost performance will be increased as well from the compression bump.

Last edited:
Forgive me if this is already somewhere in this thread, but what pads do you use with your Wilwood kit for tracking? Do you use a different set for the street?

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #274
Forgive me if this is already somewhere in this thread, but what pads do you use with your Wilwood kit for tracking? Do you use a different set for the street?
Front brakes, BP-40 for track use and BP-20 for street.
Rear brakes, Mountune RS-T for track and oem for street.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Most of it is for longevity for holding power up to 500whp. There is an increase in compression from 10:1 to 11:1 from the deck and head being milled. So there will be a performance gain there. Along with everything being balanced and the new rings having a better deal then factory. Off boost performance will be increased as well from the compression bump.
This is going to be one EVIL little monster once it's all back together!! (LOVE that compression bump! [burnout])
BIG KUDOS for this build! [twothumb] [driving]

OP
Pete

Pete

Thread Starter #278
Everyone will have to wait for me to post about the Fiesta until we finish our RS Driving Experience project on my Youtube channel. I am working on a feature length video on the reassembly, start up, and break in of the car. To make a full circle so to speak. Then after all the tunes are dialed in, the Fiesta will be going toe to toe against the RS in every category, street, daily driving, canyons, mountains, autocross, and track. There is a lot of work happening right now. I am super excited as I hope everyone else is!

Excited for the comparison! Do you have a timeline in mind for when the fiesta will be reassembled, tuned and ready for the street?