Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Feds want our cars to talk to each other

Harvick

1000 Post Club
Scary stuff that could easily get hacked.

I just saw that news story on today's Autoline Detroit program. Enough already...I'm sure the technology uses will expand beyond a safety feature. For example, in a story from last October, Oregon outlined an experiment to see if they could use a car's telemetrics (read Sync/MFT) to measure their residents road use to levy a use tax. Google the story for the details. I don't think I like where all this is heading!

Next, they're going to be using your car's GPS to send you speeding tickets... Just wait..

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #5
I think we're only thinking of the tip of the iceberg. Speeding tickets, monitoring highway use for tax billing are easy. Next we could see tax calculated on basis of number of persons per mile driven; or monitoring of fuel use and then calculation on number of people per miles X gallons. Limits on power/kg ratio for car use on roadways. In times of fuel scarcity, monitoring of driving so as to limit it to every other day or similar (think of watering lawns during droughts). Electronic registration checks, and biometric identification of drivers so as to allow checks of licenses and records. Installation of wireless monitoring of pre-start breath alcohol checks if one has a conviction of DWI, or perhaps if the vehicle has been parked near a pub during the last hour. Wireless control of starting/running engine based on whether registration is current. Ability to stop car's engine remotely by police. Location monitoring to enforce restraining orders, and then to ensure kids are dropped at school. Remote interior atmosphere sensors to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, and then later to allow for remote airborne THC or other chemical testing. Use of vehicle electronics to remotely listen to/watch activity in the car. (You really think the NSA will stop at cell phones?! Oh, you n?ive creature!) But we will be constantly assured it's for our safety and well-being, indeed, even that we asked for all of it. And it'll be true that we did.

All in the guise of safety, just like everything else.

I think we're only thinking of the tip of the iceberg. Speeding tickets, monitoring highway use for tax billing are easy. Next we could see tax calculated on basis of number of persons per mile driven; or monitoring of fuel use and then calculation on number of people per miles X gallons. Limits on power/kg ratio for car use on roadways. In times of fuel scarcity, monitoring of driving so as to limit it to every other day or similar (think of watering lawns during droughts). Electronic registration checks, and biometric identification of drivers so as to allow checks of licenses and records. Installation of wireless monitoring of pre-start breath alcohol checks if one has a conviction of DWI, or perhaps if the vehicle has been parked near a pub during the last hour. Wireless control of starting/running engine based on whether registration is current. Ability to stop car's engine remotely by police. Location monitoring to enforce restraining orders, and then to ensure kids are dropped at school. Remote interior atmosphere sensors to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, and then later to allow for remote airborne THC or other chemical testing. Use of vehicle electronics to remotely listen to/watch activity in the car. (You really think the NSA will stop at cell phones?! Oh, you n?ive creature!) But we will be constantly assured it's for our safety and well-being, indeed, even that we asked for all of it. And it'll be true that we did.
Makes you want to turn-off your cell phone and pull the fuse for Sync! Now let's add the impact of drones in the USA...was Geo. Orwell right?

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #8
Makes you want to turn-off your cell phone and pull the fuse for Sync! Now let's add the impact of drones in the USA...was Geo. Orwell right?
Yup. Although I suspect Aldous Huxley in Brave New World was closer, metaphorically speaking, to what our future could bring.

The US will never do this kind of stuff. These kind of tactics are already common in the UK though. Here, residents pay more road tax per liter of fuel consumtion.

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #10
The US will never do this kind of stuff. These kind of tactics are already common in the UK though. Here, residents pay more road tax per liter of fuel consumtion.
Wish I were as sanguine about things here. I once felt that way, but no longer. I'm afraid we'll just see the gap twixt us and, say, GB, and pick up speed with intent to catch and pass everyone else!

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
I just saw that news story on today's Autoline Detroit program. Enough already...I'm sure the technology uses will expand beyond a safety feature. For example, in a story from last October, Oregon outlined an experiment to see if they could use a car's telemetrics (read Sync/MFT) to measure their residents road use to levy a use tax. Google the story for the details. I don't think I like where all this is heading!
Nor should you... first the NSA spying on every day citizens, now this? Gives new meaning to Big Brother is watching" [paranoid]

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Not true. Ever heard of Edward Snowden? The NSA has openly admitted that they read EVERYONES emails and listen to our phone conversations. This is no conspiracy "theory", since they cannot and do not deny it. They only openly admitted that this is common practice in the US *AFTER* Mr. Snowden blew the Whistle. One of my favorite sayings is: "People have no idea what is going on and they don't even know that they don't know." Say that a few times and let it sink in... [:I] Technology is ripe and open for "abuse". It is only a matter of time (not if but when) and has already started.

pelotonracer2

1000 Post Club
Yup. Although I suspect Aldous Huxley in Brave New World was closer, metaphorically speaking, to what our future could bring.
That's a great book, but I think we are living in "animal farm" and "1984" times already... [wink] People just aren't aware of it.

OP
Perry

Perry

Thread Starter #14
That's a great book, but I think we are living in "animal farm" and "1984" times already... [wink] People just aren't aware of it.
Could be. Or maybe a mash-up of all three and several other dystopias.

Not true. Ever heard of Edward Snowden? The NSA has openly admitted that they read EVERYONES emails and listen to our phone conversations. This is no conspiracy "theory", since they cannot and do not deny it. They only openly admitted that this is common practice in the US *AFTER* Mr. Snowden blew the Whistle. One of my favorite sayings is: "People have no idea what is going on and they don't even know that they don't know." Say that a few times and let it sink in... [:I] Technology is ripe and open for "abuse". It is only a matter of time (not if but when) and has already started.
Yes and no... The NSA has NOT admitted to "reading everyone's emails and listening to their phone calls". They have admitted to collecting the metadata on emails and phone calls. There is a difference.

But the issue here is that they CAN. Just because they don't admit it doesn't mean it isn't happening. That's the problem with secret programs run secretly in secret. Lol. Secret secret. Hell, half the laws and rules that the NSA and tsa are supposed to follow are secret, due to national security. There are now even laws that impact all of us as citizens that are secret. How are you supposed to have a lawful society when one doesn't even have the ability to know what said laws are? Sad.

I didnt say if they did or didnt read them.. I was just correcting pelotonracer2 on what they have publicly admitted to. The reason the "laws" (they are actually regulations, to include executive orders written by Carter and Reagan) are secret is because the capabilities they reference are classified.

No disrespect brother. It's just something a lot of people are passionately against. Thanks for the info.

No disrespect taken.. like you said, its an issue a lot of people are against, but at the same time, dont understand.