Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The new car sales games dealers play......

I did not really haggle with them. They gave me a very competitive price for my option wishes in fact it was competitive and exactly what I wanted. Galpin knew I wanted Smoke Storm Recaro’s and was specifically ordering Orange Spice with Motlen Orange Recaro’s lol. Which in my opinion looks wrong as the Molten Orange looked like someone made a mistake on the upholstery job and got the seats a bad shade off the color of the car. lol
Then I screwed together a great rebate and cash offer package.
A dealer confirmed my private cash is $1000. Not as lucrative as yours but money is money.

Now all I need is a sub $19,xxx base offer. One dealer has a base for $22,432. I thought base was $22,315. Okay then they give you $300 off that (yawn), minus rebates that just over $19,xxx.

Why sell the car over MSRP and then discount it by $300?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
A dealer confirmed my private cash is $1000. Not as lucrative as yours but money is money.

Now all I need is a sub $19,xxx base offer. One dealer has a base for $22,432. I thought base was $22,315. Okay then they give you $300 off that (yawn), minus rebates that just over $19,xxx.

Why sell the car over MSRP and then discount it by $300?
Well Ford pays them $700 for every car sold.

So your saying they could sell the car below invoice, including the holdback and still make $700 on the sale?

I was examining the quote I got from Koons. There is $2513 in non-negotiable fees (doc, tax, title and license). The DMV calculator has TTL at $2084 ($1793 for taxes, $291 for registration which includes plates) = $429 difference and another $300 in "doc fees" for a total of $729 in extra fees.

Not included in that is the extra $220 in destination. As far as I know everybody pays the same destination fees, IE Ford pays for the transportation of the vehicle, the dealer is not suppose to profit off that.

$700 from Ford, $220 in destination overcharges and doubling up on registration which MIGHT be picked up by the finance guy once you get all your paperwork.

I have that profit before any discounting at $920. You sign over the $2,500 rebate and the $1,000 private cash to them for a total of $4420 on each car sold?

Dpro

6000 Post Club
So your saying they could sell the car below invoice, including the holdback and still make $700 on the sale?

I was examining the quote I got from Koons. There is $2513 in non-negotiable fees (doc, tax, title and license). The DMV calculator has TTL at $2084 ($1793 for taxes, $291 for registration which includes plates) = $429 difference and another $300 in "doc fees" for a total of $729 in extra fees.

Not included in that is the extra $220 in destination. As far as I know everybody pays the same destination fees, IE Ford pays for the transportation of the vehicle, the dealer is not suppose to profit off that.

$700 from Ford, $220 in destination overcharges and doubling up on registration which MIGHT be picked up by the finance guy once you get all your paperwork.

I have that profit before any discounting at $920. You sign over the $2,500 rebate and the $1,000 private cash to them for a total of $4420 on each car sold?
It varies dealer to dealer on the charges.Bottom line is who cares if your getting the price you want. Ya I could have tried to grind my dealer for the destination fee and some of the tax and lic fees at the end of the here in LA getting a Option paint (595) Recaros (1995) and Ebony wheels with red calipers ( 375) for $19678 ?
So ya they mananged to make ($3k rebate 2k Private cash) $5000 +700 or Ford paid them $5700 to sell on my on car....but I got my car for the best price for that option list in SoCal.

It just did not make any sense to haggle the maybe $150 extra they were making on the tax and lic fee or the destinationn charge which was already in that price.. I paid my tax and lic on my credit card.
I put 4k down and financed $15678 which I paid off within a year. Ya my car is in my name free amd clear.

koozy

3000 Post Club
It varies dealer to dealer on the charges.Bottom line is who cares if your getting the price you want. Ya I could have tried to grind my dealer for the destination fee and some of the tax and lic fees at the end of the here in LA getting a Option paint (595) Recaros (1995) and Ebony wheels with red calipers ( 375) for $19678 ?
So ya they mananged to make ($3k rebate 2k Private cash) $5000 +700 or Ford paid them $5700 to sell on my on car....but I got my car for the best price for that option list in SoCal.

It just did not make any sense to haggle the maybe $150 extra they were making on the tax and lic fee or the destinationn charge which was already in that price.. I paid my tax and lic on my credit card.
I put 4k down and financed $15678 which I paid off within a year. Ya my car is in my name free amd clear.
this how you shop for underwear too? Stack them coupons! lol.

Sent from my iPhone 11 Pro Max using Tapatalk

So ya they managed to make ($3k rebate 2k Private cash) $5000 +700 or Ford paid them $5700 to sell on my on car....but I got my car for the best price for that option list in SoCal.

It just did not make any sense to haggle the maybe $150 extra they were making on the tax and lic fee or the destination charge which was already in that price.. I paid my tax and lic on my credit card.
I put 4k down and financed $15678 which I paid off within a year. Ya my car is in my name free and clear.
I wasn't insinuating that you should grind people for every last penny. It's how they believe $200-$830 off is a legit discount as if we don't have other options and don't use the internet. That the discount combined with the cash from Ford is more than enough.

I think I'm headed out of state, stay tuned.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I wasn't insinuating that you should grind people for every last penny. It's how they believe $200-$830 off is a legit discount as if we don't have other options and don't use the internet. That the discount combined with the cash from Ford is more than enough.

I think I'm headed out of state, stay tuned.
I was never saying you were. I was just speaking from how I feel about the subject. I would not worry about all that stuff is all am saying. You figure out what you want to pay and try and get it . I know it took me around 6-9 months to get my deal. You are kind up against one issue not many cars left out there.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Seriously Koozy I wonder about you. lol You always think about peoples underwear?
It’s a metaphor, swap in whatever object you fancy. Some people are just cheap and bargain hunters. I find it entertainingly amusing the amount of time and energy put in for a few bucks. Tipping your waiter is okay, don’t think they take coupons though lol.

Last edited:

Dpro

6000 Post Club
It’s a metaphor, swap in whatever object you fancy. Some people are just cheap and bargain hunters. I find it entertainingly amusing the amount of time and energy put in for a few bucks. Tipping your waiter is okay, don’t think they take coupons though lol.

Well honestly I thought you were jesting and my comment back was in jest. Also 4 months of the time I was looking was waiting on the order to be delivered. The rest of the time was trying to find my color and seat combo. I was only finding it out of state and almost took the trip for the color seat combo. I also almost bought used because I wanted Performance Blue . I settled on Orange Spice for the sake of new,

koozy

3000 Post Club
Well honestly I thought you were jesting and my comment back was in jest. Also 4 months of the time I was looking was waiting on the order to be delivered. The rest of the time was trying to find my color and seat combo. I was only finding it out of state and almost took the trip for the color seat combo. I also almost bought used because I wanted Performance Blue . I settled on Orange Spice for the sake of new,
It was in jest, you ever see me serious in person or about any crap on the forum [emoji12]