Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The new car sales games dealers play......

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
NC dealers are big on games......we bought our new Mustang in Wilmington, NC and they initially tried the add on window tint and nitrogen in the tires for $2K over the sticker. Window tint is standard in the Mustang, funny we eventually got our best price from them but it took 3 weeks to get my price, then we bought it with no BS about Gap Insurance or extended warranty crap and had checks in hand so no financing. They also had a bogus price with every possible rebate knowing nobody qualifies for all of them. Like you they tried the $900 doc fee on us too.
The $12,000 over internet price is just pure insanity.
I told them I wasn't interested in games and they did quit responding.
It should be illegal to advertise fake prices.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
The $12,000 over internet price is just pure insanity.
I told them I wasn't interested in games and they did quit responding.
It should be illegal to advertise fake prices.

It actually is illegal to do this in England. Atleast they get it...

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #44
Anyone that believes ads are no too smart. A dealer has one job, sell you a car at the highest price he can. Why would you want to fight a money battle on your opponents field? Some states have laws but don't enforce them with all the fine print disclosures. I believe a price I get in writing with each line cost detailed. Ignore all the crap between top line and bottom, all you care about is what your out the door(OTD) price is from each dealer you are shopping. Adding in $2000 worth of BS stuff at the top and showing it as a discount at the bottom means jack chit as long as the OTD price is competitive with a dealer that does not play those games. OTD to OTD is the only way to shop cars, I don't argue with all the BS in between that is what they want you to do and most fall for it.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I don't support dealerships that have dishonest prices end of story. You bullshit me one time we are done.
The last 2 new Ford's I bought did not play games the internet price was the price if not lower no additional fees. 20% off the sticker is pretty good to me. My wife and I work way too much to deal with bullshit.

Honesty and integrity are everything.

Last edited:
OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
I don't support dealerships that have dishonest prices end of story. You bullshit me one time we are done.
The last 2 new Ford's I bought did not play games the internet price was the price if not lower no additional fees. 20% off the sticker is pretty good to me. My wife and I work way too much to deal with bullshit.

Honesty and integrity are everything.

If it was a dealer I would see again that would be different. I never see the dealer again once I drive off so all I care about is price.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
If it was a dealer I would see again that would be different. I never see the dealer again once I drive off so all I care about is price.
Difference of opinion I care a lot about how a business conducts itself.
You like the very best price and that's cool.
I prefer to support a place that doesn't make me want to stab them.

From their disclaimer below as you can see this makes me want to stab them.

"Price excludes dealer fee of $899, tax, tag, title, and electronic filing fee; as well as, dealer installed options which is $1,947 Vehicle Protection Plan (includes: Nitrogen Filled Tires, Floor Mats, Pinstripe, Splash Guards, Windshield Treatment (3yr/36k), Coupon Savings Book."

Last edited:
I've done a lot of deals. Now days they just take it off the sale price but the doc fee stands. If they don't budge on the doc fee (because sometimes it's lost in translation) tell them to take it off sales price instead to make up difference. You'd be surprised but sometimes they don't think of it. And for my FiST, I just paid it because, while it is $600, in the grand scheme of things I just needed to make the deal happen because it was the last of the FiST with the recaros and no moonroof. I'd be $600 richer but very bummed the last one had sold had I not made that deal.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #49
I've done a lot of deals. Now days they just take it off the sale price but the doc fee stands. If they don't budge on the doc fee (because sometimes it's lost in translation) tell them to take it off sales price instead to make up difference. You'd be surprised but sometimes they don't think of it. And for my FiST, I just paid it because, while it is $600, in the grand scheme of things I just needed to make the deal happen because it was the last of the FiST with the recaros and no moonroof. I'd be $600 richer but very bummed the last one had sold had I not made that deal.
You made the best deal for your needs. That is all we can do in life, glad you got the one you wanted! FWW...I ignore all between sticker and OTD and shop that. Doc fees are a joke, some States regulate them. Most just make sure the taxes are paid on it as profit not services. Just like add-on sticker stuff! Enjoy your new toy....I love mine!

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50
Doc fees are just another way of conning you into thinking you are getting a great price on the car. But what you are paying for the car includes the Doc fees and other pricing games. The only way to cut out all the bullshit add-on is shop the OTD price with several dealers This kills the games they want you to play in negotiations. Gets even worse if you trade cars.

Fees are what likely drove the price up on the car from Larry Green Ford in Bytle, CA. It's a 2017. One most people aren't looking for a two year old new car. Two I took the price, put it in CA DMV fees calculator and popped out just over $2000 in fees.

When she told me the required down payment was much higher than the lender required, I told her that's not possible according to the final price I calculated. I told her the amount and she said "That's not how we calculate the price..."

One would think a dealer that has a two year old new car would be in a hurry to get rid of it. But Star Ford in Glendale has 2018 Orange Spice Fiesta ST. Most people don't want an orange car, fine. The price if you call them is below $20K but they want you to come in to possible drive it down further.

I know it can go down further because in the low desert at Yucca Valley Ford they have a 2018 with black wheels as the only only option for $18,488. The Star car has a moonroof as it's only option (besides the color). They also install Low Jack on their cars which is a tactic that Galpin still does or used to employ on it's new cars.

Even so $20050 for a largely unpopular color is $1562 more? Even if you take into account the color and the moonroof it's still $208 more.

That much does make a difference in lending because if you're over the financed limit, the interest rate skyrockets, forcing you to put down more money.

That is why when dealers submit my car to the lender it comes back requiring not the 5%-10% down the lender wants but closer to 15%.

I know I can make them discount the security device but they refuse to talk price over the internet.

I'm still a bit hopeful because when I got my Focus ST, I used a price quote from Koon's Ford and they didn't blink. They matched it without issue. That forced them to sell me the car over $1000 under invoice (which is nebulous) for a car they had on the lot for over 90 days.

If I want to get under $17,542 I likely have to go out state. My private cash offer expires at the end of this month.

Oh yeah interest rates are negotiable....

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #52
Fees are what likely drove the price up on the car from Larry Green Ford in Bytle, CA. It's a 2017. One most people aren't looking for a two year old new car. Two I took the price, put it in CA DMV fees calculator and popped out just over $2000 in fees.

When she told me the required down payment was much higher than the lender required, I told her that's not possible according to the final price I calculated. I told her the amount and she said "That's not how we calculate the price..."

One would think a dealer that has a two year old new car would be in a hurry to get rid of it. But Star Ford in Glendale has 2018 Orange Spice Fiesta ST. Most people don't want an orange car, fine. The price if you call them is below $20K but they want you to come in to possible drive it down further.

I know it can go down further because in the low desert at Yucca Valley Ford they have a 2018 with black wheels as the only only option for $18,488. The Star car has a moonroof as it's only option (besides the color). They also install Low Jack on their cars which is a tactic that Galpin still does or used to employ on it's new cars.

Even so $20050 for a largely unpopular color is $1562 more? Even if you take into account the color and the moonroof it's still $208 more.

That much does make a difference in lending because if you're over the financed limit, the interest rate skyrockets, forcing you to put down more money.

That is why when dealers submit my car to the lender it comes back requiring not the 5%-10% down the lender wants but closer to 15%.

I know I can make them discount the security device but they refuse to talk price over the internet.

I'm still a bit hopeful because when I got my Focus ST, I used a price quote from Koon's Ford and they didn't blink. They matched it without issue. That forced them to sell me the car over $1000 under invoice (which is nebulous) for a car they had on the lot for over 90 days.

If I want to get under $17,542 I likely have to go out state. My private cash offer expires at the end of this month.

Your dealer does not have an internet sales person? On my last purchase I had $750 private cash, the dealer (NC) took it off and did not even ask for the code from it but I had to threaten them when then tried to deny my Veterans discount, told them I would take it to the local TV news! They decided it was not a good idea. Our last 5 new cars in the family were purchased out of state, the $$ I saved on my FiST paid for the MP-215 on my car. And the new Mustang was over $1K cheaper out of state, will pay for Shelby stripes and the nice hotel and weekend we spent picking the car up. The local Chattanooga, TN Ford dealers would rather sit on a car for 6 months than give a decent discount. So we have bought 2 in GA, 1 in NC, 1 in TX and 1 in IL.....4 Fords and 1 Dodge.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #53
If you are having trouble getting prices in writing from a dealer read this to find out why.

Quote from article

"All of these tactics revolve around the same general theme. A good dealer will have no problem putting numbers down because they have nothing to hide, whereas your shadier stores usually know they are a bit slimy and therefore are at a disadvantage when they disclose their quotes. So if you get any of these excuses, don’t waste your time and just move on to another store."

Well said! The writer is a paid car buyer for others, I have also done this for many but don't charge. I enjoy the game!

https://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-most-ridiculous-reasons-why-dealers-will-r-1839224959

Dpro

6000 Post Club

Actually

Speak for yourself about thinking the color is unpopular. It’s actually a pretty cool color and they sold pretty much all of them in that color that were made. Star is a poor example of a dealership because if that were at like Galpin it would not be sitting there it would be sold.
That car is not sold because that dealership is a terrible place to business and I have first hand experience with that. Lol

Your dealer does not have an internet sales person? On my last purchase I had $750 private cash, the dealer (NC) took it off and did not even ask for the code from it but I had to threaten them when then tried to deny my Veterans discount, told them I would take it to the local TV news! They decided it was not a good idea. Our last 5 new cars in the family were purchased out of state, the $$ I saved on my FiST paid for the MP-215 on my car. And the new Mustang was over $1K cheaper out of state, will pay for Shelby stripes and the nice hotel and weekend we spent picking the car up. The local Chattanooga, TN Ford dealers would rather sit on a car for 6 months than give a decent discount. So we have bought 2 in GA, 1 in NC, 1 in TX and 1 in IL.....4 Fords and 1 Dodge.
Doesn't sound like it. Private Cash isn't eligible for the 2017's just the 2018's and 2019's. The car is 2017 if I didn't make that clear (Larry Green Ford/Buick/GMC) in Blythe, CA.

Star Ford in Glendale has a 2018 Orange Spice with moonroof as the only option. Dealer installed Low Jack anti-theft device I think is $250.

I want to try to use my private cash offer, it should drop the price below $17K. Deals below that are only available out of state in my experience.

Since I am a full time caregiver I can't just leave for 24 hours or longer to get a car far from here. My sister should be back in the coming days, I'll go further afield when she gets back.

If you are having trouble getting prices in writing from a dealer read this to find out why.

Quote from article

"All of these tactics revolve around the same general theme. A good dealer will have no problem putting numbers down because they have nothing to hide, whereas your shadier stores usually know they are a bit slimy and therefore are at a disadvantage when they disclose their quotes. So if you get any of these excuses, don’t waste your time and just move on to another store."

Well said! The writer is a paid car buyer for others, I have also done this for many but don't charge. I enjoy the game!

https://jalopnik.com/here-are-the-most-ridiculous-reasons-why-dealers-will-r-1839224959
I read that article before, very insightful. The writer offers his car buying service. I have Ford's listed invoice price but that's nebulous since there are many factors that allow some dealers to get lower priced cars or more allocation for things like Raptors and GT350's

That depends on sales targets, customer service survey index scoring, etc, etc.

Actually

Speak for yourself about thinking the color is unpopular. It’s actually a pretty cool color and they sold pretty much all of them in that color that were made. Star is a poor example of a dealership because if that were at like Galpin it would not be sitting there it would be sold.
That car is not sold because that dealership is a terrible place to business and I have first hand experience with that. Lol
True that. Star is terrible..lol

Galpin's last Black Fiesta ST sold about a month ago. They had it at the start of the summer, sat for three months and then sold.

They currently don't have any new Fiesta ST's, they had a used Black 2016 for $17,xxx and it wasn't even a CPO.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
I read that article before, very insightful. The writer offers his car buying service. I have Ford's listed invoice price but that's nebulous since there are many factors that allow some dealers to get lower priced cars or more allocation for things like Raptors and GT350's

That depends on sales targets, customer service survey index scoring, etc, etc.
This is exactly why I wound up ordering from Autonation Ford Valencia , The had a 1 Orange Spice Smoke Storm Recaro Black Wheels incoming for $21750. I went up there and the salesmen literally printed out the sale sheet with the price listing everything. I walked with it and took it back to Galpin to get a senior salesman there that seemed cool and I was trying to negotiate what I wanted with. He would not commit to ordering it. Kept on trying to sell me what was on the lot. I walked, the autonation car did not arrive till the end of the month right before I was going to go get it a girl bought it.lol
I got turned over to the fleet manager as he did all the ordering for the dealership. He was willing to order for me and give it to me at invoice. I ordered it then a month or two before it arrived I got the 2k private cash to drop on top plus the rebate went up. Next thing I know the car is $5400 off MSRP and $2500 off invoice.
Everything was up front in writing though. Nothing to hide.

This is exactly why I wound up ordering from Autonation Ford Valencia , The had a 1 Orange Spice Smoke Storm Recaro Black Wheels incoming for $21750. I went up there and the salesmen literally printed out the sale sheet with the price listing everything. I walked with it and took it back to Galpin to get a senior salesman there that seemed cool and I was trying to negotiate what I wanted with. He would not commit to ordering it. Kept on trying to sell me what was on the lot. I walked, the autonation car did not arrive till the end of the month right before I was going to go get it a girl bought it.lol
I got turned over to the fleet manager as he did all the ordering for the dealership. He was willing to order for me and give it to me at invoice. I ordered it then a month or two before it arrived I got the 2k private cash to drop on top plus the rebate went up. Next thing I know the car is $5400 off MSRP and $2500 off invoice.
Everything was up front in writing though. Nothing to hide.
That is interesting as I always read that Autonation has a no haggle policy. They do however shop the competition and will usually have the lowest price in your area.

Dpro

6000 Post Club
That is interesting as I always read that Autonation has a no haggle policy. They do however shop the competition and will usually have the lowest price in your area.
I did not really haggle with them. They gave me a very competitive price for my option wishes in fact it was competitive and exactly what I wanted. Galpin knew I wanted Smoke Storm Recaro’s and was specifically ordering Orange Spice with Motlen Orange Recaro’s lol. Which in my opinion looks wrong as the Molten Orange looked like someone made a mistake on the upholstery job and got the seats a bad shade off the color of the car. lol
Then I screwed together a great rebate and cash offer package.