Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The noises on this car are killing me - video of gearbox clunk

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
I didnt say anything. I didnt even request it. Their trans guy tried to lube it...that didnt work... He knew it shouldnt sound like that so he ordered a new assembly. Whenyou think about it though... Why would they not order it? Its warrantied work and the dealer makes money off of the labor.
Any updates on getting yours swapped out for a new one? I'm in the process of opening a new case for mine. Wanted to see if you had any tips. Ha.

OP
D
Thread Starter #25
Sorry kip - I've been out of town, not thinking about the fiesta. So I got back the other day, temps have dropped in ohio to high 40s or 50's.... Seriously I can't explain this but couple things - the lube the dealer used, actually set into place and there is no creaking or weird feel in the clutch - this results in a 1000% improvement in driving experience. Literally, it just feels so much better without the creak.

Now the next point, those gear clunks, I don't know how this is possible but they've been severely muted. Basically the car feels unbelievably different now. Beyond the amplified noise I still have at 1100 rpms, this is how its supposed to drive, feel, and sound. Could the cold weather really have that large of an influence?

All that said - my dealer got the new clutch pedal assembly in, and I"ll probably still have them install it.... although its weird cause right now, the lube fixed the problem. (the day or 2 after they lubed it - it actually went away, initially it was a different sound after lubing).

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Make sure the new pedal matches your current pedal and is not from a std Fiesta as they have rubber pads not rubber/stainless looking ones like the ST ..
As for the cold temps fixing the noise is it still good after the oil warms up ? Though this Trans oil is very much like a ATF type weight of fluid though it is Not a ATF fluid per se ..

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Sorry kip - I've been out of town, not thinking about the fiesta. So I got back the other day, temps have dropped in ohio to high 40s or 50's.... Seriously I can't explain this but couple things - the lube the dealer used, actually set into place and there is no creaking or weird feel in the clutch - this results in a 1000% improvement in driving experience. Literally, it just feels so much better without the creak.

Now the next point, those gear clunks, I don't know how this is possible but they've been severely muted. Basically the car feels unbelievably different now. Beyond the amplified noise I still have at 1100 rpms, this is how its supposed to drive, feel, and sound. Could the cold weather really have that large of an influence?

All that said - my dealer got the new clutch pedal assembly in, and I"ll probably still have them install it.... although its weird cause right now, the lube fixed the problem. (the day or 2 after they lubed it - it actually went away, initially it was a different sound after lubing).
It's no problem. I have Meagan setting up a case for me. But the last few days it hasn't been that bad which I think is the cold affecting it also. Which sucks because I'll be pissed if I go to the dealership and it doesn't make the noise it's been making for the last 3 months.

C. love

mine has never done that. mine does chatter a bit which i can only assume is the clutch or the gears. Ive also had other FWD cars that have done what mine does. I also think eventually i will get some boomba bushings and change the fluid to motul. 300v. In addition last night when i was filling my rear mount i moved the trans and it made similar noises to what i hear. probably just how it is, for me anyway

Chris G

Hate bumping old threads, but I would love to hear an update from Dale about his noises. [hihi]

Dual-mass flywheels do give other makes/models tons of fits. Swapping to a single mass one of the first things a lot of people with a DMF do when they do the clutch. My MKV Jetta made noise, the IS300 guys complain, Infiniti guys complain, it's not just the FiST. Just be glad we don't have the Gen Coupe manual trans issues, that thing is a nightmare right off the lot.

I haven't experienced anything out of the ordinary in my FiST yet.

Chris G

I agree with you - my MINI had a DMF and it was loud as hell. Oddly enough, I had the transmission and clutch replaced in that car since the dealer said that it needed it. It was all warranty. I'll never know if the car actually needed it or if the tranmission / LSD was just naturally loud (I tend to think this is it).

My transmission is rather noisy - clunky shifting, some chatter from time to time, and a 'rattling' noise upon light acceleration between 3-4k RPMs. The transmission still shifts very well and is smooth. The noises seem to be getting worse over time, but I am chalking that up to me just paying more attention to it. I'm not that worried about it after reading through a lot of the things people have said on here and am in the boat of 'if it goes, it goes...' (although I would prefer for it not to since I have a few mods that may void the warranty if my dealer isn't great). I'm curious if new fluid as rodmoe has suggested (Motul, I believe) will help. That all being said, I like getting follow-ups and information from people that have posted about it long ago to see how things have been going.

Thanks for the input, Natedogg!

OP
D
Thread Starter #32
They honestly went away as the weather got colder. Clutch pedal creak is back now that the temps are above 50. I don't care anymore, I'm selling the car. Its been a good car, just a little small and rough for my only car.

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
They honestly went away as the weather got colder. Clutch pedal creak is back now that the temps are above 50. I don't care anymore, I'm selling the car. Its been a good car, just a little small and rough for my only car.
What are you looking at replacing it with?

Yes, the cold weather absolutely can have a huge impact. You also have to remember that these are economy hot-hatches, with less room for such neat things as sound dampening materials and insulation. My Mustang is so quiet inside I have to roll down the windows to really hear the GT500 axlebacks I put on it unless I put the hammer down, then it sounds like a pissed off lion.

During cold weather months I have had Toyota's where the shocks squeaked going over bumps because the bushings would shrink. I've had issues where the Manual Trans would act strange until it warmed up. I had creaking noises. Weather warms up and it all goes away. Some cars have the same issue but reversed. Tolerances tighten when it's cold out, and loosen when the heat reaches a point where parts might expand a bit.

Sometimes a good lithium grease applied to certain areas of the car will help. Sometimes not. Mustang owners also have issues with clunking (not me, but I read about it every day). Etc. Stiff suspensions and low profile tires will make it worse.

Turn up the radio and have some fun. Ford's make noises (as do Toyota's, BMW's, etc). If you're lucky enough not to hear any noises (which I don't really. My last two Fords have been well put together, my 2009 Ford Focus SES still had the original battery after five and a half years of ownership. And my Mustang is just awesome). It does sound like the creak in the clutch could be eliminated with a proper application of lube.

Sadly, here in the U.S., our road system is decaying at an ever increasing rate. It has gotten to a point where we need to spend billions if not trillions to fix it. When I was a kid, fixing a road meant scraping off the old asphalt and laying down new asphalt for each street. Now they just try to fill in the gaps which come back even worse after a few weeks. The problems aren't necessarily all the car's fault. A lot of the blame should be laid on our decaying road system.

I won't even lower my car because of how bad our roads are. I have scraped the front splitter a couple times at stock height just from a pothole I was unable to avoid. Luckily no real damage was done.

You also need to keep in mind the car you bought. It is a hot-hatch, a performance oriented economy car. Performance cars aren't quiet unless your willing to spend 100+k. Check out the Corvette forums some-time and read about their orange peel and the rattles they are always trying to chase down.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
LOL I remember the first time I fired up my 2011 GT with the Gt500 axel backs on in the garage with the door open it woke the house up it crackeled so well.. One of the things I miss about that car was it sounded so good

I noticed mine makes a clunking noise at times when I'm shifting at lower RPMs, but it's not as loud as yours.
same here. the clunking/clicking sound from 1st to 3rd...sometimes to 4th too in low RPMs. Took it to the dealer 3 times and all said it was normal.

the best way I can describe the sound is like a movie projector clicking sort of thing. I even test drove the car with one of their tranny techs and he immediately said it was normal. They say as long as you don't hear any grinding or whining it should be fine.

For me, if it gets worse or louder I'll have to make another service appointment. The car shifts fine though so it may be normal...who knows

same here. the clunking/clicking sound from 1st to 3rd...sometimes to 4th too in low RPMs. Took it to the dealer 3 times and all said it was normal.

the best way I can describe the sound is like a movie projector clicking sort of thing. I even test drove the car with one of their tranny techs and he immediately said it was normal. They say as long as you don't hear any grinding or whining it should be fine.

For me, if it gets worse or louder I'll have to make another service appointment. The car shifts fine though so it may be normal...who knows
Feel free to reach out to me if you do set up an appointment, along with your updated mileage. I can check into some options.

Meagan

I have noticed the DMF noise more with more miles on it, and there is a definite geary "click" sound when going in to first at a stop, almost like the sound a non-synchronized reverse gear makes in most cars. I can go "first, neutral, first, neutral, first, neutral" over and over with the car running and every time I go in to first, I hear it. Not a big deal, just seems like a strange NVH issue to me. I kind of like it as a "positive engagement" noise to go with the feel. I will say that not even my Saturn gearboxes have made that noise.

Mine makes that noise. Hate it. Love the car, hate the noise. I have a video as well and the sound is identical. I have tried different shift points, throttle, and shift duration. Still does it, just less audible at higher RPMs and WOT. The old movie projector reel clicking sound stops if still in gear, or if in nuetral, by putting pressure on the shifter. I felt like it needs a transmission cable adjustment. There seems to be some play in the shifter while in gear.

Mine makes that noise. Hate it. Love the car, hate the noise. I have a video as well and the sound is identical. I have tried different shift points, throttle, and shift duration. Still does it, just less audible at higher RPMs and WOT. The old movie projector reel clicking sound stops if still in gear, or if in nuetral, by putting pressure on the shifter. I felt like it needs a transmission cable adjustment. There seems to be some play in the shifter while in gear.
Hi Matt_FiST,

I'll be happy to see how to quiet this down. Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location. :)

Meagan