Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The Official Creak, Rattle and other noise complaint thread

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
My 2019 with 6,700 miles has within the last week started this consistent habit of a reasonably loud "rattle can" sound from around the center dash fan area within a second or two of startup. It tends to go away after half a minute or less. It happens whether the HVAC is totally off, on, on auto, AC on or off... Any ideas?
Does it almost sounds like a ticking? Almost certain it's the blend door actuator based on the location alone. They're common faults for our cars. It can be replaced under warranty.

when i start my car i hear a loud terrible clicking noise behind my dash. I suspect it maybe something to do with the A/C unit because if i press the auto button or when i turn it off it does it every time. Does anyone know what causes this issue?

2014 Fiesta ST 76780mi

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
when i start my car i hear a loud terrible clicking noise behind my dash. I suspect it maybe something to do with the A/C unit because if i press the auto button or when i turn it off it does it every time. Does anyone know what causes this issue?

2014 Fiesta ST 76780mi
Blend door actuator. Classic fiesta issue. There's a thread somewhere on here on how to fix them (driver, middle, or passenger side)

Hey everyone. My FiST isn't producing boost (I think, 95% sure) and with that I can't hear the turbo spooling and while driving and going into high revs while in 3rd gear and up (4000+) there is only the slightest bit of blow off sound. info about the car is its a 2019 Fist, 20k miles, all I've done on it is the Whoosh Symposer Delete and Whoosh Hi-Flo hot side intercooler pipe. Im not sure why it isn't making boost, but it is almost making this noise clicking noise when idling.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyEKWfvhrRY

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Hey everyone. My FiST isn't producing boost (I think, 95% sure) and with that I can't hear the turbo spooling and while driving and going into high revs while in 3rd gear and up (4000+) there is only the slightest bit of blow off sound. info about the car is its a 2019 Fist, 20k miles, all I've done on it is the Whoosh Symposer Delete and Whoosh Hi-Flo hot side intercooler pipe. Im not sure why it isn't making boost, but it is almost making this noise clicking noise when idling.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyEKWfvhrRY
Clicking sounds normal to me. Typical direct injection turbo charged engine. Maybe you blew off a charge pipe, or maybe your wastegate is stuck open?

Clicking sounds normal to me. Typical direct injection turbo charged engine. Maybe you blew off a charge pipe, or maybe your wastegate is stuck open?
got under the car and looked at all of the piping. From my little knowledge of the waste gate it /looked/ to still be good and all the piping was all connected. Drove it after putting it back together and I swear I heard a leak somewhere, I guess I’ll just take it to the dealership when I can later this week to see if they have any luck, if not I guess I have a good excuse to upgrade the whole turbo system 🤑😎😅

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
got under the car and looked at all of the piping. From my little knowledge of the waste gate it /looked/ to still be good and all the piping was all connected. Drove it after putting it back together and I swear I heard a leak somewhere, I guess I’ll just take it to the dealership when I can later this week to see if they have any luck, if not I guess I have a good excuse to upgrade the whole turbo system 🤑😎😅
If you're looking for a leak, take some soapy water and spray it wherever it think the leak might be, you'll see it bubble I'll and it'll be included where the leak is then

Hi folks,
I have a horrible squealing noise that intermittently appears when cruising. It doesn't happen under braking. It generally happens when I'm pointing the wheel straight or slightly right. If I turn to the left or sharper to the right, it appears to go away.

Here's a video clip of the sound:
View: https://youtu.be/MvRTn-KiViw

Any thoughts? I'm not sure where to start on this one. I do have new OEM pads + OEM rotors installed as of 700 miles ago but the noise was occurring before that too.

Last edited:

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Hi folks,
I have a horrible squealing noise that intermittently appears when cruising. It doesn't happen under braking. It generally happens when I'm pointing the wheel straight or slightly right. If I turn to the left or sharper to the right, it appears to go away.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure where to start on this one. I do have new OEM pads + OEM rotors installed as of 700 miles ago.
Interesting, I changed my brakes out a few hundred miles ago too, and I have noticed a squeak as well. Not nearly as loud tho. Maybe someone else can give an idea as to what it is.

Interesting, I changed my brakes out a few hundred miles ago too, and I have noticed a squeak as well. Not nearly as loud tho. Maybe someone else can give an idea as to what it is.
Thanks for the reply. I just updated my post to indicate that the noise was happening before I put on new pads and rotors. The noise didn't come up for the first 650 miles with new pads and rotors, so I thought the problem was very worn pads, but it appears to be something else.

Hypergram

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the reply. I just updated my post to indicate that the noise was happening before I put on new pads and rotors. The noise didn't come up for the first 650 miles with new pads and rotors, so I thought the problem was very worn pads, but it appears to be something else.
Gotcha. I suspect my squeaking to my ever evolving suspension issue that no one can figure out what the issue is.

Hi folks,

Any thoughts? I'm not sure where to start on this one. I do have new OEM pads + OEM rotors installed as of 700 miles ago but the noise was occurring before that too.
Are you hearing it on one side or the other? Check that the dust guards for your brakes aren't rubbing against the rotors. The front dust guards are very flimsy especially towards the bottom, one of mine got bent and was making contact with the outer edge of the rotor and causing horrible noises. I bent it back a little bit and have been noise free.

at 32000 my car makes noises from the passenger side pretty sure its the mount, pretty weird noises involving the trans when shifting and engaging/disengaging the clutch, the gauge cluster sounds like its gonna rattle off at any moment, along with other shit behind the dash, i have the blend door issue, and i have some bfg comp 2 a/s on 16s that make the car ride like a bucket of bolts. the roads where i live make every door creak at the seals and the car constantly feels jarring and rattled, my expecting gf hates it lol can't say i love it either. really want to get some Bilstein B6s, more bracing and upgrade my mounts to see if the driving experience gets better. i currently have the Mountune RMM, TB performance crash bar and the whoosh rear brace behind the seats. i have the power flex inserts along with the upgraded passenger mount bolt in the garage awaiting install, im hoping those will solve some noises.

at 32000 my car makes noises from the passenger side pretty sure its the mount, pretty weird noises involving the trans when shifting and engaging/disengaging the clutch, the gauge cluster sounds like its gonna rattle off at any moment, along with other shit behind the dash, i have the blend door issue, and i have some bfg comp 2 a/s on 16s that make the car ride like a bucket of bolts. the roads where i live make every door creak at the seals and the car constantly feels jarring and rattled, my expecting gf hates it lol can't say i love it either. really want to get some Bilstein B6s, more bracing and upgrade my mounts to see if the driving experience gets better. i currently have the Mountune RMM, TB performance crash bar and the whoosh rear brace behind the seats. I have the power flex inserts along with the upgraded passenger mount bolt in the garage awaiting install, im hoping those will solve some noises.
Thats interesting that you say the BFG comp 2 a/s are giving you a harsher ride, I just put those on myself in 205/50r16 on 16x7 sparco terra's and the ride was much improved compared to the 205/50r15's on 15x8's I just came off of. I have almost 60,000 miles on mine and am also pretty sick of the huge piece of plastic they call a dash creaking and making all sorts of noise around the gauge cluster, should be pretty easy to remedy if I jam some kind of pad in there but haven't gotten around to it. I'm also plagued with the flywheel chatter and on top of that my blend door actuator just started acting up. Also the top pad bushing on my rear coils are withering away which I could see becoming a source of more noise and harsh ride, probably worth going through and checking all the other mounts and bushings.

All that being said, for me personally I think its time for me to start enhancing the sound of the exhaust, intake, turbo and maybe the creaky plastic iceberg of a dash won't be so loud. [rockon]