Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The shoe box build that wasn't supposed to be

So I started getting this car as a replacement for my SHO that had suffered blown turbos(will post a link to my kazoo mod) it took out the engine as well. $6600 later I got the car and the torque converter started taking a dump. Picked up my Mag Grey FiST in September.

It was supposed to stay stock, fast forward 3 months by December I had, a milltek resonated catback (thanks ron@whoosh), injen intake (used), a whoosh jpipe and a cobb ap v3. Jump a little forward I picked up a used Maperformance fmic, mishimoto silicone inlet hose, whoosh crossover pipe.

Now I knew the The whole time I said it was staying stock I was lying to myself as it became such a fun car to drive. So then I spiral further down the rabbit hole, whoosh short shifter, catch can, dizzy tune, tial Bov, turbosmart block off plate, whoosh map sensor tap, mountune springs. Some of this has not been installed yet but is going too be. Then all the while I was gaining parts, I watched over my Friends car while he was in Afghanistan he ordered me a catless downpipe for payment which it's still sitting needing to be installed.

In June I decided to order a DNA traction bar from ron@whoosh, and today was the major no return for my modding adventures.... Turned to ron@whoosh again asking lead times on the s280 with him letting me know I jumped all over snagging up an s280. I guess I will get to have a little more fun in my life and my oldest son will really enjoy the car rides now lol.

What the future holds is eventually upgrading all the stock fueling components, hpfp, injectors etc etc. This is my daily and will see some track days.

My kazoo mod on my SHO.
View: https://youtu.be/jvF74gtR-g0

Attachments

How are you liking that Milltek resonated catback? I've been interested in it but I cant find much info. I only saw 1 video and it didn't sound any louder than stock

OP
Dcs_grey_shoe09
Thread Starter #3
How are you liking that Milltek resonated catback? I've been interested in it but I cant find much info. I only saw 1 video and it didn't sound any louder than stock
I really like the tone and the sound level. After a couple thousand miles its louder then stock and can tell that on acceleration but cruising the highway there is absolutely no drone nothing and that is exactly what I wanted. I had a a completely catless Subaru 2.5rs with headers and so forth that was my daily and that killed my want to have a loud exhaust again.

This is mine I need to do an updated vid with driving just havent had time.
View: https://youtu.be/h1Pxm3pSw50

Thanks. I'm seriously tempted by it. I'm getting to old for loud exhausts.
But I dont want to spend all that money on something that isn't any louder than stock

I'd be very interested in a driving vid if you ever get around to it

OP
Dcs_grey_shoe09
Thread Starter #6
Thanks. I'm seriously tempted by it. I'm getting to old for loud exhausts.
But I dont want to spend all that money on something that isn't any louder than stock

I'd be very interested in a driving vid if you ever get around to it
I will see what I can do today for a vid, it may be with my phone and not the greatest sound quality but should be able to pick it up.

OP
Dcs_grey_shoe09
Thread Starter #7
Heres a quick snippet of a 1-2 windows down. I have a longer video just figured this prolly gave you the most of what you want. I was looking at the greddy since it was different, the thermal but noticed it was a little louder then I wanted when it was catless but man it sounds so good. The milltek gives a nice deep tone, sounds good it is louder then stock and has absolutely no drone the road.

View: https://youtu.be/4yYuYYsLbj0

Thanks for posting that, I appreciate it.
I'm not sure what I want to do. I am kind of thinking the Thermal is just a tad too loud, but I'm not sure the Milltek is loud enough. I'm still leaning that way though Thanks

OP
Dcs_grey_shoe09
Thread Starter #9
I'm not sure what I want to do. I am kind of thinking the Thermal is just a tad too loud, but I'm not sure the Milltek is loud enough. I'm still leaning that way though Thanks
No problem, There is a non resonated version as well that's louder then this so there is that option as well. Theres a side of me that wants to order a back box delete down the road for when I'm at the track or what have you. I just don't want all the noise in the world driving down the road.

I don't have a ton of miles on my Thermal R&D, but I find it has a very split personality. It's very quiet off throttle, but does get loud when on throttle. Definitely a lot more variation in volume than my Cobb CBE ever had. No experience with the Milltek. You may also want to look at the Cobb CBE if you're looking for something with good sound, but not too loud.

I originally thought I was going to keep my '15 FiST stock too, but I got the itch, put a Cobb CBE on it, and it was all downhill from there.

I really like the tone and the sound level. After a couple thousand miles its louder then stock and can tell that on acceleration but cruising the highway there is absolutely no drone nothing and that is exactly what I wanted. I had a a completely catless Subaru 2.5rs with headers and so forth that was my daily and that killed my want to have a loud exhaust again.

This is mine I need to do an updated vid with driving just havent had time.
View: https://youtu.be/h1Pxm3pSw50
So if I understand correctly, this and the second video is with the Whoosh catted downpipe and a tune of some sort? I'm guessing it's a touch quieter with the stock ones?

OP
Dcs_grey_shoe09
Thread Starter #13
So if I understand correctly, this and the second video is with the Whoosh catted downpipe and a tune of some sort? I'm guessing it's a touch quieter with the stock ones?
Its still the factory downpipe, one just had a tune one didn't. Its a little bit louder then stock and has a nice deep tone. I was trying to keep it under the radar as much as possible for my preference. I have had extremely loud cars before and have just grown extremely tired of them, I like being able to hear my car but I don't wanna just hear my car and that's it. I do have a catless downpipe to put on just waiting until my s280 goes in.

Its still the factory downpipe, one just had a tune one didn't. Its a little bit louder then stock and has a nice deep tone. I was trying to keep it under the radar as much as possible for my preference. I have had extremely loud cars before and have just grown extremely tired of them, I like being able to hear my car but I don't wanna just hear my car and that's it. I do have a catless downpipe to put on just waiting until my s280 goes in.
Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, I can hear just a bit of the rasp. Leaning towards this as well for exact same reasons that you mentioned... I really want to like Thermal but I feel like it's going to sound great to me but not so much to everyone else on the street. I also don't have the means go under the car every few months and check for that loose coupler. Aaaand no space to store stock exhaust so will probably have difficulties selling the car if I go to a dealership at some point...

Did you reuse stock hangers or went poly? I saw someone doing measurements and Whoosh hangers seem to be exactly the same length, except stiffer so... should be ok with stock? Saw few reports that poly hangers turn the bottom of the car into a speaker.

EDIT: Also forgot to ask, was the sound symposer present in the last video?

Last edited:
OP
Dcs_grey_shoe09
Thread Starter #16
Thanks for clarifying. Yeah, I can hear just a bit of the rasp. Leaning towards this as well for exact same reasons that you mentioned... I really want to like Thermal but I feel like it's going to sound great to me but not so much to everyone else on the street. I also don't have the means go under the car every few months and check for that loose coupler. Aaaand no space to store stock exhaust so will probably have difficulties selling the car if I go to a dealership at some point...

Did you reuse stock hangers or went poly? I saw someone doing measurements and Whoosh hangers seem to be exactly the same length, except stiffer so... should be ok with stock? Saw few reports that poly hangers turn the bottom of the car into a speaker.

EDIT: Also forgot to ask, was the sound symposer present in the last video?
I used the stock hangers but ordered the poly ones later down the road and have only installed one which was the very rear, I am waiting until I have the car under the knife for the s280 for the rest. I hate to say it the symposer delete was my first mod lol. I like the sound of the thermal I think it would have been just way to loud for me personally.

OP
Dcs_grey_shoe09
Thread Starter #17
S280 is in, base map has been loaded did my three pulls and on revision #2.

Forgot to add the sound clip of the milltek sport resonated with a catless dp...

View: https://youtu.be/oCW-og8Qu5Q

I put it off for a while as I had so much going on didn't have time to get it done, and im not paying for the install when I am perfectly capable of doing it. Plus I waited on the powder coater to get my extra not visible bling on lol. While it was down I made a buddy that owed me some money pony up, got a radiator put in as well (Ford you need to plan your cooling system better next time, I know they're done lol). Put my down pipe in and all has been well for about 3weeks other than the exhaust rattle [emoji2357].

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited: