Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

The wannabe ST

OP
WannabeST
Thread Starter #81
I will add more details later to this thread but for now.
I got P2 at GRIDLIFE at big willow. I missed P1 by 4 tenths of a second. Not bad considering I am once again the only car competing on OEM shocks lol.
im happy to add another trophy to the collection and hyped for Laguna Seca competition in September

IMG_0836.jpeg IMG_0833.jpeg

OP
WannabeST
Thread Starter #82
Now that I have a little more time, what a weekend.
I started off the weekend by putting a bunch of stickers on the car. These are some of the businesses of my close friends and I want to help them get some exposure as I compete through my first full time attack season. IMG_2881.jpeg
the competition between me and another competitor for P1 was fierce. We had a good lead over the competition but we both improved every single session. And every session we switched on who was the faster driver. We were always less than 5 tenths away from eachother. It was a rollercoaster of emotions to see my lap time go down 6 tenths and then I need 2 tenths more to catch up. And the feeling would go both ways.
3EEC18AF-878A-4500-8BC8-334B2F15FAEB.jpeg
IMG_0818.jpeg
I was dipping tires a lot on one of my sessions and got this wonderful text 5 minutes after my session ended lol.
In an effort to go faster on day 2. A friend gave me some duct tape and I sealed off the whole upper grill of the fiesta and also gave me a little bit of gold heat tape which I put on the intake manifold.
the intake temps went up another 15-20 degrees with this combination. Making my intake temps 40+ over ambient. Not good since we were in the high 70s!

IMG_0847.jpeg
the coolant temps run at around 205-210 with this setup, normally they’re closer to 180-190.
despite the higher intake temps. I saw immediate time drop on the straights and corner exit with all the tape.
I also got the car weighed since they had the scales out and my car sits at 2659 pounds with roughly half a tank. Which means I should be able to take out roughly 120-150 pounds out of the car and still be legal for the class. At some point this year I will get the car on a dyno since I need to for nasa tt6 and that will let me know exactly how low in weight I can go.

once it was time for podiums. I finished with a time of 1.42.6 which landed me that P2. P1 was a 1.42.2. Once again why I love sundae cup so much. The tight competition makes it so much fun and gives you something to push for.
enjoy a few of these pictures I received this weekend:

IMG_3348.jpeg IMG_3329.jpeg IMG_3316.jpeg
Some mental notes for myself of things to upgrade:
Get bigger radiator for faster heat distribution
Lower temp thermostat
Block off upper grill permanently
Repair front bumper for better aero
Check if tire spats are legal
Get front and rear crash bars with tow hooks before I end up failing tech like someone else did
Remove random weight I don’t need, ideally in the back for more rotation.

View attachment 61547
View attachment 61548
I was dipping tires a lot on one of my sessions and got this wonderful text 5 minutes after my session ended lol.
HA! In WRC tarmac rallying, this is fully expected and considered merely 'force majeure' or par for the course for the crews further down the start list for the stages.
They might even make some suspension adjustment, or tire compound choice changes/decisions because of it! [thumb]

OP
WannabeST
Thread Starter #84
HA! In WRC tarmac rallying, this is fully expected and considered merely 'force majeure' or par for the course for the crews further down the start list for the stages.
They might even make some suspension adjustment, or tire compound choice changes/decisions because of it! [thumb]
Yea, some of my friends that were spectating were telling me about how the flaggers would grab the black flag as if they were going to point it at me, we all thought it was pretty extra because the amount I was throwing on track was minimal and it was off of most peoples race line, mine was a more narrow race line due to the elevation and needing to keep my momentum up. As someone who hosts 1-2 events a year and helps out with another organization I can understand the annoyance. Because as a host you will get drivers complaining about debris and in a competition format drivers aren't the biggest fans of it.

OP
WannabeST
Thread Starter #85
I just signed up for my first NASA event later this month. It is going to be at willow springs here in socal. Does anyone have any tips or advice on what to expect? I sent an email asking to be put in HPDE 4 or straight into TT6 instead of going thru the whole HPDE 1-4 process.

Ford Community Posts