Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Theoretical conversation

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
So say someone was to route a pipe over the passenger side of the engine from right out of the turbo inlet, then bolt a filter that goes through the bumper. Something similar to the attached pictures except in a completely different location. Could one potentially see even cooler aits than a behind bumper filter? Or is the negative pressure my itg is located at helping it pump air? I feel it would only be worth it for 2 reasons. 1 it wouldn't cross over the exhaust manifold, similar to the 2j and 2 only if the air temps dropped substantially by the time it hit the tb. I'd say a 30 degree difference before and after would be a worthwhile goal. What do you guys think? Would it even be possible for the air to retain that level of coolness?

Sent from my IN2019 using Tapatalk

So say someone was to route a pipe over the passenger side of the engine from right out of the turbo inlet, then bolt a filter that goes through the bumper. Something similar to the attached pictures except in a completely different location. Could one potentially see even cooler aits than a behind bumper filter? Or is the negative pressure my itg is located at helping it pump air? I feel it would only be worth it for 2 reasons. 1 it wouldn't cross over the exhaust manifold, similar to the 2j and 2 only if the air temps dropped substantially by the time it hit the tb. I'd say a 30 degree difference before and after would be a worthwhile goal. What do you guys think? Would it even be possible for the air to retain that level of coolness?

You’re gonna have to deal with water when it rains at that point if the filter is exposed

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
You’re gonna have to deal with water when it rains at that point if the filter is exposed
Understandable but we are just talking theory here. Let's say for all inclusive circumstances some drives this only on Sundays, after church with no rain or clouds in the sky and that fabrication is no concern.

Understandable but we are just talking theory here. Let's say for all inclusive circumstances some drives this only on Sundays, after church with no rain or clouds in the sky and that fabrication is no concern.

Gotcha. Well if I’m not mistaken, it’ll get heated up when it gets compressed regardless of whether or not it runs over the manifold. The question is, how much and whether the intercooler will be efficient enough to cool it back down.

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
What would this improve over a 2j intake? It's a guess, but mine is that this type of intake is much more meaningful in an N/A car than in a blown one. We're all chasing temps after compression more than before because it's easy: a bigger intercooler or, in some cases, WMI.

Those of us who want to feel better about their intake temps just wrap the cross-over pipe with foil and call it a day.

MagnetiseST

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
What would this improve over a 2j intake?
It wouldn't be highly annoying and lose as much power. (My opinion, don't kill me lol)

So say someone was to route a pipe over the passenger side of the engine from right out of the turbo inlet, then bolt a filter that goes through the bumper. Something similar to the attached pictures except in a completely different location. Could one potentially see even cooler aits than a behind bumper filter? Or is the negative pressure my itg is located at helping it pump air? I feel it would only be worth it for 2 reasons. 1 it wouldn't cross over the exhaust manifold, similar to the 2j and 2 only if the air temps dropped substantially by the time it hit the tb.
Take a look at my avatar pic. I switched from a 2J intake to that and gained 15whp on my S280 turbo. There is a balance between cold air and intake pipe length as well that needs to be considered. I'm not sure entirely how that works but I know for a fact that a full length intake makes more power than the stubby and 2j designs. I am sure that the difference in power came more from air flow and not air temperature though.

You could theoretically run an intake like the one you posted. You'd run into clearance issues with the serpentine belt though I believe, and may be restricted to a small pipe diameter in order to clear. However I don't think you'd see any benefits of the air temperature being dropped a little more. What's 30* difference to a turbocharger housing that can be above 200*? Nothing, its all going to be heated to the same temperature by the time it exits. I'd be more concerned with air mass then air temp, the intercooler is what has the biggest effect on CATs. IATs are fairly irrelevant on a turbo car, but it is never a bad idea to try and keep them as low as possible.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
I have wrapped mine as well. I'm just asking anyone for some meaningful information in whether or not this is something that has on one car or another proved beneficial. I'm guessing that a no. But I guess the reason I'm asking is, a lot of big front turbo cars seem to have this style of intake inlet where they poke a hole in the bumper and just stick a filter on the turbo and call it a day.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
It wouldn't be highly annoying and lose as much power. (My opinion, don't kill me lol)

Take a look at my avatar pic. I switched from a 2J intake to that and gained 15whp on my S280 turbo. There is a balance between cold air and intake pipe length as well that needs to be considered. I'm not sure entirely how that works but I know for a fact that a full length intake makes more power than the stubby and 2j designs. I am sure that the difference in power came more from air flow and not air temperature though.

You could theoretically run an intake like the one you posted. You'd run into clearance issues with the serpentine belt though I believe, and may be restricted to a small pipe diameter in order to clear. However I don't think you'd see any benefits of the air temperature being dropped a little more. What's 30* difference to a turbocharger housing that can be above 200*? Nothing, its all going to be heated to the same temperature by the time it exits. I'd be more concerned with air mass then air temp, the intercooler is what has the biggest effect on CATs. IATs are fairly irrelevant on a turbo car, but it is never a bad idea to try and keep them as low as possible.
I agree with your opinion, I deleted the 2j cuz I disliked it. My wife said it sounded like a bunch of teenagers doing their hair when I accelerated haha. So have you been able to figure out a way other than meth to get meaningful cooler charge air temps? I mean you know how it is, unless your running w2a and cooling using refrigerant or dry ice your not gonna see colder than ambient. But anything that helps the intercooler along with maintaining cooler temps? I've been considering garden sprayers or co2 on the intercooler but I run into the same issue which is, I have to remember to fill something up.

OP
R

Rocketst

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
I'd like a solution that's elegant and just works but that's probably not plausible either.

PunkST

2000 Post Club
The big limiting factor is space. And no matter what your inlet pipe is still going to be right next to a very warm engine. I liked my 2j but it was impossible to talk in the car with it. Only other solution is a custom hood with ducting that ends at a filter close to how the 2j would run. Just not in the cowl. And before you ask. Yes it would still heat soak.